GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Internet on PS2 and XBOX- who will be the first to get it"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 26/12/02 at 18:55
Regular
I think ps2 will be the first to get the internet because on febuary 13th there was a packed meeting about it and they talked about bringing a broadband internet to ps2 at the moment it is said to come out in May 2003 there will be a hard drive which will slot into the back of a ps2. There is going to be a broadband pack which will be around £45 you plug into your machine and phone socket. The package will also include software and usergides. The games you are likely to see over the ps2 internet are games like Gran Turismo 4 resident evil network and final fantasy xi
The xbox is also going to go online but no major plans yet have been made.

Dreamcast done it first and failed lets just see how the ps2 and xbox do!!
Sun 29/12/02 at 01:16
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
splint59 wrote:
> i think ps2 because they have bin on about it for along time for ps2.

But Xbox is allready online...lol...
Sat 28/12/02 at 23:30
Rapid Fire wrote:
> You can run perfectly on a 128k connection with no lagging and
> Microsoft do dectect it but they wont cut you off as technically it is
> still broadband.

Cooooooool

Cheers for the replies. Hope it doesn't lag, I don't want a bad reputation, it's not my style :-)

Sam41
Sat 28/12/02 at 23:25
Regular
"bit of a brain"
I didn't say it was a PC, did I? I said it was a computer. There is a difference. You do not expect a calculator to be able to install OS patches, do you? But it still has a computing chip inside it. Stop thinking about computers in the sense of home PCs, and start thinking on a larger scale. Super Computers have no CD drives and you cannot put video files on them, nor can you update the OS.
Sure the Xbox may be a less versatile computer, but it is a computer nonetheless.
Sat 28/12/02 at 23:20
Regular
"i like cars!!!!!!"
i think ps2 because they have bin on about it for along time for ps2.
Sat 28/12/02 at 14:50
Regular
gerrid wrote:
> So I win. ah.

I didn’t mention the fact that WORD + Photoshop were not around at the time of the Amstrad, because I thought everyone knew that. In any case, a computer (regardless of format) must be capable of a number of different tasks. The XBox is not capable of this. Modified processor, modified USB, very basic OS which as it stands could not do everything Windows or Mac OS could do. If XBox had been designed to work just like a PC, it would of cost a lot more (just like a pc). Right now, you cant even install any OS patches onto your XBox - this is a given on computer. You can't copy a movie file from a cd onto the hard disc, let alone play it back - again a very basic task for the modern computer. The Xbox (and other future console developments) will be capable of more (PS2 was the first to have a built in DVD movie player, DC the first with online, PS could play music cd's, and broadband + Tivo like functions to follow), but these are very specific add on functions. It does not make them "general purpose". Example. At work we have a Power Mac server spooling images to a film setter (a sort of photographic printer), and in another room, we have a top of the line PC spooling data to a cutting machine. Don't forget things like scanners, digital camera's, and the humble paper printer. All very different tasks, none of which can be done using any games console.

Hold on, not finished yet....
But, I still prefer to use a console for games. It's cheaper and there are more games, and you don’t have hassles like Min requirements, compatibility, memory upgrades, etc.

We need computers to do all the different things asked of us, but that does not mean they are perfect. Games consoles are great for games and also some other specific tasks such as playing a music cd. But consoles will never be simply a rebadged computer - if that were to happen, then you may as well just - buy a pc. And that won't ever happen, since "they" (ie, Sony, Nintendo, MS) want to get us to buy more, not less.
Sat 28/12/02 at 13:29
Regular
"bit of a brain"
So I win. ah.
Sat 28/12/02 at 13:24
Regular
gerrid wrote:
> Update2.01 wrote:
> XBox is not a computer. If it was, then you could run WORD or
> PhotoShop on it.
>
> So this was plainly a lie.
> And the Xbox is a computer, as it computes. It may be a computer with
> limited capabilities, but it is a computer nonetheless.

Dont think PhotoShop or WOARD were around when the Amstrad was, so running that software on any computer at that time might have been difficult. Thats why I didn't mention it before!
Sat 28/12/02 at 13:22
Regular
"Beaten with sticks"
You can run perfectly on a 128k connection with no lagging and Microsoft do dectect it but they wont cut you off as technically it is still broadband.
Sat 28/12/02 at 13:10
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Update2.01 wrote:
> XBox is not a computer. If it was, then you could run WORD or
> PhotoShop on it.

So this was plainly a lie.
And the Xbox is a computer, as it computes. It may be a computer with limited capabilities, but it is a computer nonetheless.
Sat 28/12/02 at 13:05
Regular
gerrid wrote:
> You couldn't run word on an Amstrad, but that was a computer...

ahh, the Amstrad. Built in floppy disk drive thing. Yep, was a computer, but just a different format. Like saying Mac only software wont run on a PC and PC only software wont run on a Mac. But both Mac and PC's are computers. XBox is different from a computer. Thought it had a modified P3 CPU for a start.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.