GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Exams"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 07/02/02 at 22:00
Regular
Reflect in no way your intelligence...

It merely tests you on how well you memorise work... you study long you get good marks, you don't study you get bad marks.

I have never really been one to study but yet pass with flying colours... but certain people who are the most boring people in the world and have no good views on life get full marks. Why? because they are so boring they spend there lives learning a whole book...

For once I had a Maths and Physics test this week... I deceided to study as I actually needed to.. I studied for one night and passed both easy... if I studied I'm sure I'd get 100% but I'm not someone who studies... I look at formulae and sigh I just want to express my views, English is okay but this year it is set out as a memory exercise as well...

Education is pointing in the wrong directions, I'd rather talk about the world, my ideas, look at poetry, do more art, but my school does hardly any of this and its too late for me to change...

Bah... I know I'm more intelligent than straight A people.

(maybe exceptions in this post as some people get great marks without studying and some people are just thick to core if they studied or not)

That is all.
Thu 07/02/02 at 22:00
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Reflect in no way your intelligence...

It merely tests you on how well you memorise work... you study long you get good marks, you don't study you get bad marks.

I have never really been one to study but yet pass with flying colours... but certain people who are the most boring people in the world and have no good views on life get full marks. Why? because they are so boring they spend there lives learning a whole book...

For once I had a Maths and Physics test this week... I deceided to study as I actually needed to.. I studied for one night and passed both easy... if I studied I'm sure I'd get 100% but I'm not someone who studies... I look at formulae and sigh I just want to express my views, English is okay but this year it is set out as a memory exercise as well...

Education is pointing in the wrong directions, I'd rather talk about the world, my ideas, look at poetry, do more art, but my school does hardly any of this and its too late for me to change...

Bah... I know I'm more intelligent than straight A people.

(maybe exceptions in this post as some people get great marks without studying and some people are just thick to core if they studied or not)

That is all.
Thu 07/02/02 at 22:37
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
I agree, exams don't usually test your intelligence and knowledge in a subject, just what you can remember and cram before the exam.
But it seems the best option and way of finding out how well people are doing. I think they need to be used alongside details gathered throughout the year and used to calculate how well the person is doing.
Thu 07/02/02 at 22:44
Regular
"That's right!"
I managed to get 2 Cs for my AS last year, one in Sociology and one in Drama, beating both my predicted grades, and beating almost every single kid in 6th form. Most of them got Es

Ha ha, I sure proved my teachers wrong!

Anyway, the two exams I just sat did NOT go well... I missed so many lessons I just didn't have the stuff to revise.
Thu 07/02/02 at 22:45
Regular
"That's right!"
Oh I forgot to mention that I didn't do any revision and still got two Cs
Thu 07/02/02 at 22:54
Regular
Heh not bad, I did no revision and get one C and two D's.

Should be enough to get my into Uni alone. Key skills count as a A at AS :)
Thu 07/02/02 at 22:54
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I agree that it's just one test and you should be judged by your average work in general! I got worse grades im most of my exams than I did with my coursework and predicted grades for each sunject. And with results like that, interviewers will just look at the letters thinking it's all you're capable of, when you know you can do a lot better!!

I may have even got more B's and maybe even A's if I was judged by my work in general last year!!
Fri 08/02/02 at 08:36
Regular
"Wasting away"
I Disagree on the fact that you're intelligent, but agree on the fact that exams don't really show the person you are.

Anyways. I'll have to agree and have said it many times, the people who always do well are those little sods who revise for about 7 hours the day before the exams and have been revising all week. Although, you can't deny, that there is anything wrong with that. Education is important to progress in life, but, what you learn past year 9 really doesn't matter.

Do we care about algrebra and prime factorisation? Do we care what Shakespeare had to say? Do we care what happens when you stick a pin in your hand?!? I don't know about you lot, but I sure as hell don't. I spend all my time on my website and ever since getting it, all my grades have gone down, big time. I don't revise, never have done and probably never will. I'm too full of pride to do that.
Fri 08/02/02 at 10:57
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Having been to a selective Grammar school, I've seen plenty of smart people, and plenty of hard working people. At GCSE level, the hard workers get A* across the board. The clever ones will get similar marks in certain subjects, but lower on the ones they do not care for.

When you reach A-levels, the story is different. Trust me on this. The hard workers who are not that intelligent can no longer get A's, or find it a hideous struggle if they do. They get upset about this. The intelligent people will get the A's with little effort. At A-level, exams are far more than just a test of memory. The material is sufficient to allow questions involving application, rather than just recall of facts.

Not revising is fine when you're doing well - I got an A in A-level maths with no revision, and an A in physics with very little - but realise that you may have to revise sometimes. I wouldn't have gotten through A-level chemistry with no revision, I simply did no work or revision for a year and a half, got D and E grades in module mocks, and was sent to the headmaster for underachievement. He informed me he'd write to the universities I'd applied to, and tell them I was not going to achieve the grades he'd told them I would.

That was just before the christmas holidays, in my second year of A-levels. I did then revise, 2 hours a day for the first 2 weeks of the X-mas holidays. That's about 28 hours total. After that, I had no further problems with chemistry. I came back and got A's in the modules, and an A overall.

28 hours wasn't much to pay to boost my grade by that much.

If you don't revise at all for important exams, and you get bad grades as a result, doesn't that show lack of intelligence in itself?
Fri 08/02/02 at 15:25
Regular
"I love Dave music"
VenomByte wrote:
If you don't revise
> at all for important exams, and you get bad grades as a result, doesn't that
> show lack of intelligence in itself?

Yep, gotta agree here. I worked hard for my A-Levels, got into the Uni I wanted and am doing the course I wanted. If I hadn't, I wouldn't be here now, with a good chance of being able to do what I want when I leave uni. Life is about choices, you can choose to work hard for your exams, or choose not to. But you cannot then blame the system if you don't get into the uni you want if you didn't do the work.
Fri 08/02/02 at 15:37
Regular
"That's right!"
"Key skills count as a A at AS :)"

You actually did Key Skills...?

I can't believe anyone did Key Skills!

I went to 3 lessons last year, and I haven't been since! When people saw that I wasn't going, they stopped going to. Now there are only two or three people left doing it, and the teachers are doing their work for them

Key Skills was a big waste of time

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.