GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GTA III or Vice City - My views"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Grand Theft Auto: Vice City'.
Sat 28/12/02 at 12:05
Regular
My friend just got his PS2 for Christmas, a bit late I know. The only game he’s got is Vice City, and we were having an argument about whether GTA III is better than Vice City. He has only played Vice for a few hours, but he says it is “way better” than GTA III. I would have to disagree, I don’t own Vice City, but I’ve played it for a long time around one of my other friend’s house.

To me GTA III was a landmark in the games industry, not many people will disagree with me here. Driver was the first game to be 3D in a sense that you could go wherever you wanted on the game. That’s not very clear, but if you’ve played the game you should know what I mean. Now, GTA III took this to new limits. It added what the previous titles in the series had, and added a huge more. It allowed you to explore every inch of the Liberty City and the other islands. I used to perch up on Louis Sex Club, snipe a few people then hide from the helicopters behind the advertising boards.

To me, Vice City is a poor “improvement” on number three, to me it hasn’t improved. It is meant to be a different game, hence the different area and time period, but you have to admit it contains all the main features of GTA III, which to be fair any sequel does. But it still doesn’t contain any drastic changes that make it a new game. Yes, it isn’t GTA IIII, which is why some people say it is only a kind of add-on. But it has taken a few years for this title to come along, which is usually how long it takes for a new release to be made. And seeing as I think the game is very similar to number three, they could have somehow “copy and pasted” a lot of the previous game into the new one.

I do love to play around on the motorbikes, but this does get a bit boring after a while. I also went on a killing spree on Vice City, which lasted for around 30 minutes. Now I could only stay away from the cops for around 15 minutes on GTA III, that’s without stealing a tank. Now I went into a shop, fair enough. But the glass was bullet proof, and I was in a pharmacy. Now crime may have been high then, but bullet proof glass in a high street shop, that’s going a bit too far I think. So, not only was I pretty safe, but I forgot to block of the entrance with a car. But, no need to. The police didn’t come into the shop until I had 5 stars. Now it can’t take the highest level of computer AI to make the cops come into a shop now can it?

I played a few missions on Vice City, and they have improved somewhat on GTA III’s missions. But they weren’t revolutionary, which I didn’t expect, but I was expecting more than what I they were. After all, this game was so hyped up. Even I was looking forward to what I thought would be GTA IIII back in the day. But when I heard that the next game in the series was going “back in time”, I did worry. I had played GTA: London, after playing GTA for a while. And London was absolutely pants. There were no fast cars, and the main game hadn’t changed at all. It even looked the same. Now if you’re going to make a new game, it has to improve on its predecessor. And this is why I think Vice City is, to some extent, like GTA: London.

Now I don’t own Vice City, so I can’t make a major viewing of the game. But during my time playing the game, I made a few views of the game. It was good, but not that good. It was nowhere near as good as what it should have been. GTA III was such a large base for Rockstar to build on; but in the end the game just wasn’t my cup of tee.

So, I prefer GTA III to Vice City by a long way, but which do you prefer? This has been said a lot before, but can you give your reasons, I will be looking forward to reading them :D

Thanks for reading,
Benny Bish.
Sun 29/12/02 at 11:41
Regular
"[SE] Shadow Elite"
Lombardo wrote:
> Here is a question for those who say GTA3 is better: If both games were
> realeased at the same time, and you'd never seen either one of them,
> which game would you buy?

I'd probably still stick with GTA III. Vice City is a good game, a very good game, but it isn't a massive change from GTA III. And i'd say GTA III because it's got more of the things i like. To me, it's too bright in Vice City. I can't see myself going around doing drugs, killing people and setting people up in a really bright place. I like the darkness and the wetness of GTA III. It seems more grimmer, a better setting for the game. Who sets a horrer story in a fairyland? Well, that's almost like Vice City. The actuall city is so nice, it's hard to see how so many gangs and criminals could be based in this area.

Paranoid Idiot wrote:
> Vice City is way better than GTA3. But now they're both cack, compared
> to The Getaway.

I got The Getaway for Christmas, and i'm really enjoying playing it. But i am wondering whether it's going to last. I like just loading mission 2, although i'm on mission 7, and skipping the cutscene. Then i just go around and cause mayhem. But i haven't seen or played the free-roaming mode yet, and i wonder what appeal that it going to have. I have lots of fun just getting the cops on me when i ignore the mission and just drive around, but what has the free-roaming mode got that this hasn't?
Sat 28/12/02 at 20:38
Regular
"Black pepper?"
Fishtobeking wrote:
> Paranoid Idiot wrote:
> Vice City is way better than GTA3. But now they're both cack,
> compared
> to The Getaway.
> I hope you have played all 3 games as thats a big statement to make.

I've got all three you retard.
Sat 28/12/02 at 20:13
Regular
"Plotting Your Demis"
I think that people sometimes say that the original is better just for the sake of saying it. Although Vice City didn't have the unexpected shock value of GTA3, the game itself is better in most ways. There are more weapons, character animations, missions and vehicles. The playing area is bigger, the graphics are better and the storyline is also superior to that of GTA3. GTA3 and GTA: Vice City are both excellent games, but Vice City takes what GTA 3 had and improves on it. Here is a question for those who say GTA3 is better: If both games were realeased at the same time, and you'd never seen either one of them, which game would you buy?
Most people tend to go for the game with better gameplay, graphics and lifespan...
Both games rule anyhow, and the Getaway is crud.
Sat 28/12/02 at 19:14
Regular
"Bring the beat back"
Paranoid Idiot wrote:
> Vice City is way better than GTA3. But now they're both cack, compared
> to The Getaway.
I hope you have played all 3 games as thats a big statement to make.
Sat 28/12/02 at 18:38
Regular
"Black pepper?"
Vice City is way better than GTA3. But now they're both cack, compared to The Getaway.
Sat 28/12/02 at 16:08
"griever"
demonhead wrote:
> SleepingLionheart wrote:
> have you seen the weapons in vice they are awful they are all
> machine
> guns and a pistol and sniper rifle no rocket launcher hoqw rubbish
> is
> that
>
> did u forget the shotguns and there is a rocket launcher so wat r u
> talking about no rocket launcher

if you use the all weapons cheat you get 3 machine guns 1 handgun 1 flame thrower and knuckle dusters
Sat 28/12/02 at 15:44
Regular
"[SE] Shadow Elite"
I didn't read much on it, after realy loosing interest in the series after i was let down by Vice City. I've heard it's going "into the future", but i can't see this working. How are we supposed to know that the police wont tag us all and make it impossible to even shop lift, let alone kill people and run around with machine guns. But, it's America, anything could happen :D
Sat 28/12/02 at 15:35
Regular
"Bring the beat back"
GTA 3 and Vice City are both good game. I like Vice City as I feel it's an improvement on GTA 3. I wonder what the next GTA will be like?
Sat 28/12/02 at 15:31
Regular
SleepingLionheart wrote:
> have you seen the weapons in vice they are awful they are all machine
> guns and a pistol and sniper rifle no rocket launcher hoqw rubbish is
> that

did u forget the shotguns and there is a rocket launcher so wat r u talking about no rocket launcher
Sat 28/12/02 at 15:28
Regular
"[SE] Shadow Elite"
That's a good point, and one which to me is why i like The Getaway so much. On both the GTA games, you can run around the police station or around a piliceman with a rocket laucher on your shoulders. Whereas on The Getaway, if you are seen with even a small handgun you get chased by the police. The Getaway is meant to be different to the GTA games, and the GTA games are meant to be different to The Getaway. But it's the small things that makes The Getaway a bit more like my kind of game.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.