GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A reality shock for us all"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 22/08/07 at 23:20
Regular
"Mooching around"
from the tiresome debates over what to do with the forum.

Boy, 11, Dies After Pub Shooting

The incident happened shortly after 1930 BST in the car park of the Fir Tree public house on Fir Tree Drive.

A witness said the victim was with two other boys when someone rode past on a bicycle and fired three shots, one of which hit the boy.

He was rushed to Alder Hey Hospital but police later confirmed that he had died from his injuries.
Read more...

This is just awful, only a few days ago I was reading about another boy of 16 who died in Manchester from stab wounds. 11 years old though, it's just not right; he must've been starting secondary school this year, right?

I hate it, being 17 myself, it doesn't exactly make me feel safe when I'm out with my mates.

I know a lot of you here are older than me, how does this, quite recent and very much more publicised "gang killings" feel?
Thu 23/08/07 at 01:25
Regular
But it's not pessimistic either! It's not optimistic, nor pessimistic, it's attempting to be somewhere inbetween.

Try and look at the good, and the bad, look at which outweighs the other, and make a decision based on that.

'The bright side of things' may well be that the good outweighs the bad.
Thu 23/08/07 at 01:22
Regular
"Mooching around"
Jeez, just saying, it's not really looking on the bright side of things is it?
Thu 23/08/07 at 01:19
Regular
Chaos wrote:
> It's just the risk you take.
>
> A little pessimistic, don't you think?

Explain to me how the thought of a percentage of risk is pessimistic?
Thu 23/08/07 at 01:16
Regular
"Mooching around"
Grix Thraves wrote:
> You are -not- safe. It doesn't matter where you are. There's the
> illusion of safety, and we do need that in a way, but no, there's
> little you can really do to stop yourself from getting into an
> accident. After all, that's why they're called accidents.

Maybe safe was the wrong word... But I never felt like I needed to be on guard for people trying to stab or shoot me.

> This is no reality shock. There are absolute idiots out there
> that find killing, violence, attack, to be their only form of
> defence. As if it's protecting their honour, their pride.

I meant reality check as in from everyone arguing over what to do with the site, I swear I put that somewhere in the original post...

> It's just the risk you take.

A little pessimistic, don't you think?
Thu 23/08/07 at 01:08
Regular
Grix has to take things too far!
Thu 23/08/07 at 01:03
Regular
I never feel safe, no matter what the papers tell me.

Guaranteed, if the headlines started saying "man falls out of bed and dies" everyone would be outside instead.

You are -not- safe. It doesn't matter where you are. There's the illusion of safety, and we do need that in a way, but no, there's little you can really do to stop yourself from getting into an accident. After all, that's why they're called accidents.

Take precautions. You can't stop accidents, but you can reduce your chances. For every time you put your seat belt on, walk down a lit street, there's a maniac driving stupidly fast, or someone who just doesn't understand the idea of being 'social'.

If you need a newspaper to tell you you're not safe, you're an idiot. Life is precious. It can be taken away at any time and every breath you take is nothing but chance. Sometimes the chances are higher, sometimes they're lower. You can go through life taking no risks, or you could take a few, and live a little.

This is no reality shock. There are absolute idiots out there that find killing, violence, attack, to be their only form of defence. As if it's protecting their honour, their pride.

Some of these people are children. Some of these people are raising children. There are idiots out there. There are murderers out there. Some won't even show a single inch of regret for it. Maybe some don't feel it either.

All you can do is be prepared. One day, you too, might be a statistic on the news. Maybe some 17 year old boy will be shocked at it too.

But then, paranoia can drive you insane. Or perhaps the insanity, really, is simply the reaction to a world where you aren't protected by the delusion of safety. And perhaps that's where murderers come from.

Either way, what the news doesn't report, is the children who would talk to you, be your friend, be kind, generous. This isn't news worthy. Apparently we're all expected to know this. Sometimes it doesn't look like that's true.

For as paranoid as you can be, there are good people in this world. They are not reported about, they are not shown on television. People open doors to let people past. They find wallets on the floor and return them to their owners. They help old ladies across the road. They save lives.

It's not reported. So you can be paranoid if you want, that the world is becoming a 'terrible terrible place'. Or you can ignore the news, and take both sides.

Yes, there are murderers in this world. You can't really escape that. But there are good people too.

Be careful who you judge, be careful who you trust, but if you're afraid of going outside, remember, there are good people too. You take your chance. It's just a percentage, a figure.

It's just the risk you take.
Wed 22/08/07 at 23:25
Regular
It's not safe to walk the streets anymore.

I blame the immigrants! If we didn't have those illegals we'd not be getting shot in our own gardens by these drug abusing state scrounging two-bit terrorists
Wed 22/08/07 at 23:20
Regular
"Mooching around"
from the tiresome debates over what to do with the forum.

Boy, 11, Dies After Pub Shooting

The incident happened shortly after 1930 BST in the car park of the Fir Tree public house on Fir Tree Drive.

A witness said the victim was with two other boys when someone rode past on a bicycle and fired three shots, one of which hit the boy.

He was rushed to Alder Hey Hospital but police later confirmed that he had died from his injuries.
Read more...

This is just awful, only a few days ago I was reading about another boy of 16 who died in Manchester from stab wounds. 11 years old though, it's just not right; he must've been starting secondary school this year, right?

I hate it, being 17 myself, it doesn't exactly make me feel safe when I'm out with my mates.

I know a lot of you here are older than me, how does this, quite recent and very much more publicised "gang killings" feel?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.