GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Any Point In Upgrading???"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 05/02/02 at 15:44
Regular
This is my first EVER post in this forum, so I wanted to make it an interesting one. The technical side of computers isn't really something that appeals to me, and that is why I will rarely appear here! Anyway, here it is...

To me, my PC seems to be quite ancient, and i've only had it 4 years. It's a Pentium 3, 450Mhz, and i'm happy with it. At school, I hear people talking non-stop about their Pc's, but not neccisarily about their games! Sure, they love Max Payne and boast about how well they played against each other on Counterstrike last night, but things like graphics cards and other PC specifications are becoming a big talking point! Mainly due to the high requirements and needs of today's games.

With games like Max Payne you almost need a PC that's top of the range, just to make it run smoothly! And the same can be said for on-line gaming, unless you have a cable-internet connection - one of their favourite topics!

They've recently been on about graphics cards, and how they all plan to spend a whopping £300 for something that they may soon be replacing! I say that i'm getting a GameCube, and they just 'lol' telling me to get a G-Force 3! And it seems that only 1 or 2 of them will be getting a next-generation console, with the X-box as no.1, due to it's power! Also, believe it or not, but they don't even have a console from the older generations!! How can they think they know about the 'future of gaming'???

I also hear them say 'i'm getting a new PC for my birthday' and it's not for all the familly, just his! Or 'I wanna bla bla bla, something or other, to make my PC the best!' Surely they'd rather have games or a console, something they can actually use??

Every day there seems to be something new and expensive that they want to upgrade their PC, and they never talk about consoles. Except for the fact that GTA3 is coming to PC (which I intend to get).

I'm not one for upgrading my PC every few weeks/months, mainly due to the cost, and because i'm more of a console gamer. I only really use my PC for the net and typing, or games like Champ. Manager and The Sims.

We've already reached the time when Pentium 4, Celeron and other proccessors are controlling many people's PC's. And with each new model comes a whole new, high quality secification, maybe even including G-Force 3's! Each one also costs around £1,500 to require no upgrades for 6 months, and I do wonder if it is neccesary to spend thousands of pounds upgrading, when you could just wait a few months for a whole new computer, possibly at a smaller price??

Anyway, if all these Pc fans want great games with greatr graphics, and machines with masses of power, surely they should go for Microsot's very own 'X-box'?? After all, the games are all virtually the same, and they'll probably know ways of adapting it to run PC games! Iy may not come DVD-ready, but the price could save people upto a grand, and there's no need or way of upgrading it to a higher level.

So, is the X-box the answer for people who are need-lessly throwing their money away on something that'll soon be history??? I think "Yes"!
Wed 06/02/02 at 16:23
Regular
"How Handy."
Just a thought, but realistically I wouldnt think it'll be too long till someone works out a way of making PCs run X Boxes, I mean, they're similar architecture so it must be possible..
Wed 06/02/02 at 16:22
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Thanks for your replies guys. I think my PC's ok, but from hearing people talk it starts to seem worse. I am wondering wether I should just get a new PC this year (as my mum's been thinking of it), or wether i'll just upgrade it, with more ram and stuff?? I have found that it's slowing down, even though I still have 3GB left. What do you think I should do?? I won't be able to afford one myself as i'm getting a GameCube, and I wanna be able to play games like Half-Life and Max Payne on their original formats, not some conversion that just isn't the same!

And yes, I do know what Counterstrike is, as it's the most talked about on-line PC game at school! People go out every weekend just to go and play each other! I thought the whole point of going out and leaving your house was to get away from things like computers, and get some fresh air??
Wed 06/02/02 at 01:51
Regular
The xbox is basically a pretty low spec pc it has a pentium 3 733 cpu, a hard drive, etc etc..., but is aminly for playing games, it does look pretty good but if you have a good spec pc the games are so much more playable and look really good, if i had trouble playing games because my pc spec isnt up to much, i would spend the 300 quid to upgrade some bits, mainly ram, cpu and vid card but you don't have to get a geforce 3 for £300 to make your system better at games, the g'force 2 mx 200/400 vid cards will allow you to play all the latest games, if i were you and was planning on getting a xbox for 300 quid i would get another stick of ram (at least 128mb) a new cpu (maybe even a celeron/pentium 3 flip chip, as they don't make the slot cpu's which you would have anymore, it should fit in your system with a thing called a slocket) and a new video card (a geforce 2 mx 200/400 maybe) all this would come to less than £300, and you can do so much more with a pc, and there is such a large range of games out their to run on them.

c.b.
Tue 05/02/02 at 23:51
Regular
"How Handy."
PCs are excellent platforms for playing games because of their sheer power and the easy of making games for them. That and the fact you dont need any licences from sony or nintendo etc etc.

If you play games like Max Payne or Half Life on the PC, then go play their Dreamcast or PS2 versions you'll see that the PC is much better suited for the job. Even a mediocre PC will power most games better than a console will.

It isnt just that, gaming on a PC is so different from console gaming its unbelievable. Consoles are great for having a quick bash or playing against some mates with a few drinks and a pizza. PCs are best though for games that take time away from you. Games that let you loose track of time all together. I've done it, I've started playing PC Games in the morning, looked at my watch and its been late at night, its just so easy to get involved. If the setups right its almost as if your there, something in my opinion you just dont get with consoles.

The most amazing thing I've ever seen though is the Counter-Strike phenomenon. You may not have seen counter strike so I'll give you the background. Counter Strike is a "mod" for Half Life made by a bunch of amateur games makers with a little too much time on their hands. The idea is that if you have a copy of Half Life, you can download Counter Strike for free off the internet. The game is completly multi-player, so an internet connection or a LAN is compulsory, and the idea of the game is that there are two teams, counter terrorists and terrorists. The two teams then compete on a serious of maps to complete certain aims (ie. terrorists must bomb a target, counter terrorists must rescue hostages etc) in order to win the round. Sounds pretty good, no? Well Counter Strike is by far the most popular online game played at the moment, and has been for some time. All this from a free download. Thats what amazes me about PC Gaming, you just dont get that with consoles..
Tue 05/02/02 at 19:40
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
I don't think a pc is for games, it's too much money to spend just for games, as you said, a GC or PS2 would work much better, your pc sounds alright, I still use my Pentium 150, it works great for music and some smaller games, but it runs pretty much anything I want it to, including flight sims and image programs, but now i've got a 1.3 cpu and 256 ram, it's annoying going back to my old one, I think updating your windows system makes a difference and more ram.
Tue 05/02/02 at 18:40
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
heh, you have the same problem as me.

I have a 233mhz, 64ram etc etc and its crap.

Well, it depends what you use it for, if you want to play the latest games then do so, but you need to get out your wallet. I am using my pc for low spec games, the net, music, and homework, GC will be for games. Al because its cheaper and it makes sense.
Tue 05/02/02 at 17:55
Regular
"How Handy."
Web Design. Typing work. Spreadsheets. Mail Merges. Databases. Designing adverts, logos and other images. Coughware (might not get that one if you've not been following this forum..).

Loads of stuff. I do all the above from my bedroom..
Tue 05/02/02 at 17:45
Whooo Style! wrote:
> and make money (yeah baby!).

How do you make money from yuor PC if you don't mind me asking?
Tue 05/02/02 at 17:06
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Thanks for your reply. I also use my PC for chatting, homework and surfing the net, but nothing else really. I bet you could enjoy a console if you went back to one, PC gaming just isn't the same! Unless it's on-line of course. I also think that you're very lucky if you have a PC in your room, and so are your mates. I wouldn't mind one in my room, but it'd probably never get used much with an N64 and eventually a GameCube next to it!
Tue 05/02/02 at 16:40
Regular
"How Handy."
PCs are funny things that no console will ever replace. I'm mad keen into hardware but my PC is far from top of the range. I spend £500ish on Hardware once every year or so, the attraction to PCs is far more than any console to me, not only can I play games (not that I do very much anymore) but I can go on the internet, design websites, edit images, do my homework (booo), talk to friends and make money (yeah baby!).

If you dont do any of the above then you'll be totally happy with your console, but personally I couldnt go back to a console after having my PC for the past 7ish years. I havent any intentions of spending £300ish on a console I'll hardly play and will be old soon anyway, I'd rather buy a graphics card or something!

Oh, and my PC is in my room and is all mine. The lappy is my dads but he's only used it twice since he bought it (muhaha) so I've claimed it as my own. I know a lot of people (Reaper[oV], Insomnia etc) who have two or three computers of their own in their room, and I too will join their ranks when I find some more bits for this PC I've currently got my feet on :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.