GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Any Point In Upgrading???"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 05/02/02 at 15:44
Regular
This is my first EVER post in this forum, so I wanted to make it an interesting one. The technical side of computers isn't really something that appeals to me, and that is why I will rarely appear here! Anyway, here it is...

To me, my PC seems to be quite ancient, and i've only had it 4 years. It's a Pentium 3, 450Mhz, and i'm happy with it. At school, I hear people talking non-stop about their Pc's, but not neccisarily about their games! Sure, they love Max Payne and boast about how well they played against each other on Counterstrike last night, but things like graphics cards and other PC specifications are becoming a big talking point! Mainly due to the high requirements and needs of today's games.

With games like Max Payne you almost need a PC that's top of the range, just to make it run smoothly! And the same can be said for on-line gaming, unless you have a cable-internet connection - one of their favourite topics!

They've recently been on about graphics cards, and how they all plan to spend a whopping £300 for something that they may soon be replacing! I say that i'm getting a GameCube, and they just 'lol' telling me to get a G-Force 3! And it seems that only 1 or 2 of them will be getting a next-generation console, with the X-box as no.1, due to it's power! Also, believe it or not, but they don't even have a console from the older generations!! How can they think they know about the 'future of gaming'???

I also hear them say 'i'm getting a new PC for my birthday' and it's not for all the familly, just his! Or 'I wanna bla bla bla, something or other, to make my PC the best!' Surely they'd rather have games or a console, something they can actually use??

Every day there seems to be something new and expensive that they want to upgrade their PC, and they never talk about consoles. Except for the fact that GTA3 is coming to PC (which I intend to get).

I'm not one for upgrading my PC every few weeks/months, mainly due to the cost, and because i'm more of a console gamer. I only really use my PC for the net and typing, or games like Champ. Manager and The Sims.

We've already reached the time when Pentium 4, Celeron and other proccessors are controlling many people's PC's. And with each new model comes a whole new, high quality secification, maybe even including G-Force 3's! Each one also costs around £1,500 to require no upgrades for 6 months, and I do wonder if it is neccesary to spend thousands of pounds upgrading, when you could just wait a few months for a whole new computer, possibly at a smaller price??

Anyway, if all these Pc fans want great games with greatr graphics, and machines with masses of power, surely they should go for Microsot's very own 'X-box'?? After all, the games are all virtually the same, and they'll probably know ways of adapting it to run PC games! Iy may not come DVD-ready, but the price could save people upto a grand, and there's no need or way of upgrading it to a higher level.

So, is the X-box the answer for people who are need-lessly throwing their money away on something that'll soon be history??? I think "Yes"!
Wed 06/02/02 at 19:21
Oh yeah,any more news on the Kyro3, like release dates, power of it, Cebit? Its really going to have an "advantage" over the GF4 line because it is Direct X compliant
(I think), and if it performs better than the current Nvidia flagship card, the Ti500, it's gonna kick ass.
Wed 06/02/02 at 19:17
The Geforce 4 doesnt fully support Direct X 8 and isnt really that good a choice for the future. Its basically just like a Geforce 2 Ultra Ultra.
Wed 06/02/02 at 19:08
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
GF4 is already available for order at some sites for £150ish, but hasn't had its official release yet, the GF3 will be cheaper by the time that comes aorund (one would imagine). The £150 version is the MX equivalent.
Wed 06/02/02 at 18:21
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I didn't think or mean to say that I thought i'd need a GeForce 3 for the latest games, i just said that it brings the best out of games. Isn't GF4 out now?? I'm sure I saw it for about £150?? And that's half the price of a GF3!
Or am I just mistaken??
Wed 06/02/02 at 18:16
Intel sucks. Anyway, I think I would be best for you to upgrade your PC rather than getting a new one. Otherwise you'll just end up paying for a new case, hard drive, CD drive insteadof just core components which affect performance,CPU,RAM and Graphics card. As was said earlier, you don't need a Geforce3 to run the latest games.
Wed 06/02/02 at 17:10
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
ermm, thats what I meant
Wed 06/02/02 at 17:04
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Ehm...266mhz on AMD processors is the bus speed, not the cpu speed, I'd be very surprised if it ran with a 733mhz bus..Resident Intel guy to tell us the bus speed of a p3 733?

Do we even have a resident Intel guy?
Wed 06/02/02 at 16:58
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
AMD_MAN wrote:
> The xbox is basically a pretty low spec pc it has a pentium 3 733 cpu,

the Xbox's clock speed is well over double anything a PC has produced, i'm not sure about the Xbox,but the GC has a 400+ clock, hhmm, the fastest AMD has a 266.

and because they don't normally have to load a OS like Windows before running anything the speed of games is far away from anything seen on anything other than a console.
Wed 06/02/02 at 16:41
Regular
"How Handy."
Yeah, there's loads of emulators out there, though a lot have been closed down by Sony. Never actually tried one though..
Wed 06/02/02 at 16:29
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I've thought that it also won't be soon before they work out how to run X-box games on the PC, and vise-versa. Apparently there's an emulator that allows you to play PSX games on the PC! So the X-box games can't be that far off...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.