GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Replacing NTLDR"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 21/08/07 at 15:43
Regular
The file 'NTLDR' has been missing from my pc for some time now, meaning every time I want to turn the computer off, I have to restart it then insert a disc with the 'image' burned onto it of NTLDR, as it's necessary to run the pc..

I deleted it accidentally when trying to remove some files from my computer, thinking it was some sort of spyware. So; does anyone have any idea of where to download the file from - as collecting it off the disc doesn't seem to have worked.

After that, all ideas of where the file needs to be installed to make the pc turn on properly would also be appreciated, as would any instructions needed on how to, say, extract the file - given my limited technical knowledge (and patience).

This should be in another forum, granted, but nowhere else gets much activity these days and an answer as soon as possible is what I need! All help appreciated.
Tue 21/08/07 at 19:36
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
In life you have two choices:

Choice a) Waste a load of time

Choice b) Buy a Mac
Tue 21/08/07 at 18:17
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
If you want, I could mail you the NTLDR on my XP partition, but I don't [edit, missing word: know] if it's somehow unique.
Tue 21/08/07 at 16:19
"Are you sure?"
tnc wrote:
> I'm running Office XP...

Hmmm...
That's just Word and Excel, etc. not the Windows Operating system.

Hopefully you'll be able to get a friend to help with the recovery...
Tue 21/08/07 at 16:17
Regular
On second thoughts.. maybe I'll just stick to using the CD
Tue 21/08/07 at 16:11
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
I like the fact that my machine wont boot without an XP installation CD in the drive, its like extra security. :)
Tue 21/08/07 at 16:10
"possibly impossible"
It will just remove all the nice links you have in your start menu to programs.

Which can be quite annoying, but fixable.

Alternatively, just see it as a way of your PC telling you that you need a nice fresh install, back up your files and useful stuff to another partition or backup HD, then format the C: Drive.
Tue 21/08/07 at 16:10
Regular
I'm running Office XP and unfortunately I'm not able to boot, as the CDs are in my cousins office for the Summer =c(
Tue 21/08/07 at 16:08
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
Personally, I'd just reinstall Windows over the top of your current installation.
I don't think that should break anything (too badly).
Tue 21/08/07 at 16:06
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
You tried booting from the windows xp cd and using the repair option there?

Seem to remember a friend having a similar problem and this sorted it for them.
Tue 21/08/07 at 16:04
"Are you sure?"
Here the official recovery: [URL]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320397[/URL]

Lots more help/info if you Google "download bcupdate2"

You don't say what version of Windows you're running, so the recovery is slightly different depending on your version.

Not sure this is the right forum for this! :¬P

Search Freeola Chat

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.