GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"DVD Library update"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 04/02/02 at 19:18
Regular
After much debate + editing these are the dvds that I picked out for the DVD library thingy they're doing at my school. Thanks to everyone concerned, it was a great help, if there ae any glaring omissions then please speak up..

Oh, and it wasn't me who struck off all the mainstream blockbusters (ie Gladiator). The teacher in overall command decided that most people who had a DVD player (and therefore will use the library) would already have mainstream films like Gladiator and Star Wars, and the aim of the library was to introduce them to new films that they might not have heard of... Well, here we go then:

3 Colours Red
3rd Man, the
12 Angry Men
39 Steps
Amelie
American Beauty
American Werewolf in London
Amores Perros
Apocalypse Now Redux
Audition
Battle Royale
Big Lebowski
Blade Runner
Blue Velvet
Bout De Souffle, A
Chasing Amy
Clockwork Orange
City of Lost Children
Dekalog
Edward Scissorhands
Evil Dead
Fight Club
French Connection I+II
Full Metal Jacket
Girlfight
Godfather Box Set, the
Great Escape, the
Happiness
Heat
Jaws
L.A. Confidential
La Haine
Leon
Magnolia
Matrix, the
Mean Streets
Memento
Metropolis
O Brother Where art Thou?
Pi
Planet of the Apes
Psycho
Pulp Fiction
Raging Bull
Raising Arizona
Requiem For A Dream
Resevoir Dogs
Seven
Seven Samurai
Shawshank Redemption
Shining, the
Silence of the Lambs, the
Sexy Beast
Sleepers
Spinal Tap
Taxi Driver
Usual Suspects, the
Withnail & I
Wed 06/02/02 at 21:36
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Well, I preferred Hannibal. I didn't think I would. I didn't think it could possibly be as good as Silence of the Lambs but i was wrong. I thought it would sort of ruin it him being a free man and all, but I was wrong again.

The alternate ending on the DVD is better though. Even though it's basically the same. The:

"would you ever say stop Clarice? If you loved me you'd stop."

"Not in a thousand years"

"Not in a thousand years? That's my girl."

That being repeated at the end was much better and the fact that he didn't cut off his hand, since he wouldn't be dumb enough to let her hand cuff him. But I'm rambling and nobody cares. :-D
Wed 06/02/02 at 07:37
Regular
Mystique wrote:
> I ask again...WHERE THE HELL IS DIE HARD?

--

ENCORE! It is a classic, and I doubt many people will have it on DVD.
Wed 06/02/02 at 00:46
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
Hannibal's not on there because I didn't think it was particularly good... I mean it was all right, but nothing special. Silence of the Lambs was a much better film, with better plotting and tension, and you had the added touch of Hannibal usurping the film's actual villain in terms of nastiness, which you don't expect from a film. Silence of the Lambs worked on many more different levels from Hannibal, and I think it was just a better film.

Manhunter was good though. I'll try and get that. Oh and I did read "hannibal", but I have to say that I wasn't overly impressed. I read it a long time after it came out in paperback and I did 'devour' it in a few days, but I thought it was a bit of an empty experience, especially as Red Dragon and Silence of the Lambs were actually quite good. I thought the mind-maps idea was nice, it was a shame they didn't include that in the film, as it added another dimension to Lecter's character.
Tue 05/02/02 at 21:23
Regular
I ask again...WHERE THE HELL IS DIE HARD?
Tue 05/02/02 at 20:31
Regular
Bah, the book IS far better than the film. Just because you don't read, Woss.
Tue 05/02/02 at 19:36
Regular
"I am Bumf Ucked"
I envy you.

On a similer note, me and some friends are stealing the schools camera to make a film with.
Tue 05/02/02 at 19:26
Regular
good choices there but you must go to a really cool school if you have a DVD libary.
Tue 05/02/02 at 19:15
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Ahhhh....Mean Streets! I've not seen that in years.

And I love the French Connection films. My favourite scene from either of them though is without a doubt the one in the second one where.....

"Then I'm gonna work on your knee caps! Gonna make oatmeal of your kneecaps. And then I'm gonna go to work on your arms. Lay'em over a curb and use them as a trampoline. You'd like that, huh?"

Oh how I love that scene. :-D
Tue 05/02/02 at 19:00
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Good. I'm happy to see Heat, Seven Samurai, Jaws and Magnolia in there. But no Hannibal? That's disappointing. I bet you've read the book, haven't you? And that's why you don't have it in there. You didn't like it because you thought the book was far better? Just a guess.

Anyway, I remember seeing Mememento at the cinema and I watched it on DVD the other night. However, I didn't remember the Sammy Jankis thing near the end. That really surprised me, as usually I forget nothing about a film and it is therefore annoying never being surprised by watching a film again, ages after seeing it the first time. Did that make sense? :-D

Sould be watching it in chronological order tonight. Either that or 'Open your Eyes'.

Oh and where's Untouchables?! Je-SUS!! :-D
Tue 05/02/02 at 00:12
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
Original PoTA - classic

Evil Dead 2 was surplus to requirements, but was on the provisional list. I'll probably try and bring it in depending on how many people watch Evil Dead...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.