GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"DVD Library update"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 04/02/02 at 19:18
Regular
After much debate + editing these are the dvds that I picked out for the DVD library thingy they're doing at my school. Thanks to everyone concerned, it was a great help, if there ae any glaring omissions then please speak up..

Oh, and it wasn't me who struck off all the mainstream blockbusters (ie Gladiator). The teacher in overall command decided that most people who had a DVD player (and therefore will use the library) would already have mainstream films like Gladiator and Star Wars, and the aim of the library was to introduce them to new films that they might not have heard of... Well, here we go then:

3 Colours Red
3rd Man, the
12 Angry Men
39 Steps
Amelie
American Beauty
American Werewolf in London
Amores Perros
Apocalypse Now Redux
Audition
Battle Royale
Big Lebowski
Blade Runner
Blue Velvet
Bout De Souffle, A
Chasing Amy
Clockwork Orange
City of Lost Children
Dekalog
Edward Scissorhands
Evil Dead
Fight Club
French Connection I+II
Full Metal Jacket
Girlfight
Godfather Box Set, the
Great Escape, the
Happiness
Heat
Jaws
L.A. Confidential
La Haine
Leon
Magnolia
Matrix, the
Mean Streets
Memento
Metropolis
O Brother Where art Thou?
Pi
Planet of the Apes
Psycho
Pulp Fiction
Raging Bull
Raising Arizona
Requiem For A Dream
Resevoir Dogs
Seven
Seven Samurai
Shawshank Redemption
Shining, the
Silence of the Lambs, the
Sexy Beast
Sleepers
Spinal Tap
Taxi Driver
Usual Suspects, the
Withnail & I
Mon 04/02/02 at 19:18
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
After much debate + editing these are the dvds that I picked out for the DVD library thingy they're doing at my school. Thanks to everyone concerned, it was a great help, if there ae any glaring omissions then please speak up..

Oh, and it wasn't me who struck off all the mainstream blockbusters (ie Gladiator). The teacher in overall command decided that most people who had a DVD player (and therefore will use the library) would already have mainstream films like Gladiator and Star Wars, and the aim of the library was to introduce them to new films that they might not have heard of... Well, here we go then:

3 Colours Red
3rd Man, the
12 Angry Men
39 Steps
Amelie
American Beauty
American Werewolf in London
Amores Perros
Apocalypse Now Redux
Audition
Battle Royale
Big Lebowski
Blade Runner
Blue Velvet
Bout De Souffle, A
Chasing Amy
Clockwork Orange
City of Lost Children
Dekalog
Edward Scissorhands
Evil Dead
Fight Club
French Connection I+II
Full Metal Jacket
Girlfight
Godfather Box Set, the
Great Escape, the
Happiness
Heat
Jaws
L.A. Confidential
La Haine
Leon
Magnolia
Matrix, the
Mean Streets
Memento
Metropolis
O Brother Where art Thou?
Pi
Planet of the Apes
Psycho
Pulp Fiction
Raging Bull
Raising Arizona
Requiem For A Dream
Resevoir Dogs
Seven
Seven Samurai
Shawshank Redemption
Shining, the
Silence of the Lambs, the
Sexy Beast
Sleepers
Spinal Tap
Taxi Driver
Usual Suspects, the
Withnail & I
Mon 04/02/02 at 19:29
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Lol, your teacher has a wierd idea o films people have never heard of, I mean the shining, shawshank redemption, silence of the lambs, reservoir dogs, raging bull, pulp fiction, psycho, e.t.c everyone's heard of these ! Traffic, Dogma, Thin Red Line are just some of the ones you should have had, out of interest is Chasing Amy actually out on DVD ?
Mon 04/02/02 at 19:31
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Excellent! Nice to see you picked Audition *ahem*. So, will you be bulking up the library with more GAD wins?
Mon 04/02/02 at 19:34
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
more Gad wins? That's for my personal DVD library. With the school one I get to spend someone else's money on films I wouldn't necessarily buy. I would buy Audition, in fact I almost got it at the weekend, but I decided to save my money for Chasing Amy, which out today but only in HMV for some bizarre reason.

Snuggly can you pressure SR to get more cult films in on DVD... I know that you're the one behind Battle Royale, Mallrats, Memento and Withnail & I... it makes sense to go all the way and go for cult/classic films.
Mon 04/02/02 at 19:36
Regular
Jeez I wish i'd gone to a school like yours, best film we had in our Library was a National Geographic documentary that was full of tribal people walking around with it all hanging out(I was young).
Mon 04/02/02 at 19:53
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
I didn't say never heard of films. I said mainstream films. The thing is if you go to one of SR's rivals, who provide a useful "if you liked this, you might like these 5 films" list, you'll notice one thing. No matter what film you are looking at, from the Matrix to an obscure Polish film, the damn 5 films will always include Gladiator because it's based on concurrent sales and it seems that no matter what film has been bought, someone somewhere has bought Gladiator in the same purchase.

This proves that Gladiator has been seen by many many people. The list is meant to represent cinematically signifcant, cult or classic films. I had to knock off a number of Goatboy's recommendations as well because they were no longer available on DVD, which is why they've gone. It was really helpful having the reems of recommendations from everyone though. So thanks again.
Mon 04/02/02 at 21:10
Regular
NO KEVIN SMITH? Damn.

But excellent choices. My Withnail And I copy should arrive soon.
Mon 04/02/02 at 21:11
Regular
*notices Chasing Amy*

Err...the worst one! No Mallrats or Dogma?

And Amores Perros, inspire choice, my friend. Is it only you and me thats seen that? ;-)
Mon 04/02/02 at 21:14
"penguins in hawaii?"
Some good choices there, withnail and i is a great film!
Mon 04/02/02 at 21:30
Regular
"allardini's tagline"
Good choices there, i thought you'd be wise, misterhappy. But i didn't know Reservoir Dogs was out on DVD!!!!!!

Hmmmmmmmm............

*Runs to local virgin mega megastore that doesn't exist and steals Reservoir Dogs and after setting off alarm by dropping pack of extra chewing gum begins gunning down local security guards who are eating doghnuts with RCMP 350. Mini saves the day. The End.*

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.