GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Bah (XBL problem)"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 02/01/03 at 21:09
Regular
I got XBL.
Its been happily working via ICS connection for the last week.

However I turned it on today and it no longer works.
Its not my ISP because, as you can see, my internet is working.
Sun 05/01/03 at 23:18
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
I have a problem I cant log into Download Content on Unreal or MechAssault. I think as my stats come back as 0 ul, 0 dl, 0/0 packets and 65535 ms ping it doesnt like it. I can log into my Gamertag and play games, I hosted a 8 player game of Ghost Recon with no lag, could host 16 players but only 7 joined. Is anyone else experiencing this as it has only just happened with my stats being funny. I will reset my MTU and RWIN to there original values to see whether this works. If not a call to MS is in order. My current MTU and RWIN sees my connection increase by about 2Kb/s, so thats quite an improvement. Going to try it all again tommorow and see if its sorted.
Sun 05/01/03 at 22:46
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
Some routers give problems with Xbox Live. Check the page at xbox.com to see if yours is one of the ones ts not compatable with.
Sun 05/01/03 at 19:02
adrian wrote:
> Have you got a firewall? Has ICS been turned off? Have you enabled
> Windows XP own firewall(if you use XP)? Which point does XBox Live
> fail at? Does it connect to cables, IP and DNS? Or is it Cables, IP or
> DNS that it fails on first?

Firewall - Dont use one
ICS Off - No (Or atleast I dont think so. Its there and enabled and working in the networking device manager section.)
XP Firewall - Dont use XP
Fails at - IP
Sun 05/01/03 at 18:42
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Your Olympic Hero wrote:
> Ive been putting in random numbers trying to get XBL to work.

Well what speed is your connection if its a 512 ADSL then try

MTU 1430 RWIN 13900
MTU 1458 RWIN 12762
MTU 1492 RWIN 17242

Then go to www.adslguide.org.uk/speedtest and test your connection. If your get 470+ download and 240+ Upload then your alright. I use MTU 1430 and RWIN 13900 and the max I have got is 480 download and 270 upload, with a usual rate of 475 download and 254 upload.

Remember MTU does not effect XBox Live directly, the only way it would effect it is if your internet connection was effected by the MTU. If you do the speed tests and find your connection is up to speed then leave the MTU alone.

Have you got a firewall? Has ICS been turned off? Have you enabled Windows XP own firewall(if you use XP)? Which point does XBox Live fail at? Does it connect to cables, IP and DNS? Or is it Cables, IP or DNS that it fails on first?
Sun 05/01/03 at 18:26
Bonus wrote:
> Mucking about with all these MTU setting etc. is seriously bad advice
> if your a novice. Take a note of the default settings for your system
> before touching anything like this.

Now somebody tells me that.
Ive been putting in random numbers trying to get XBL to work.
Sun 05/01/03 at 16:43
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Bonus wrote:
> Mucking about with all these MTU setting etc. is seriously bad advice
> if your a novice. Take a note of the default settings for your system
> before touching anything like this.

Yes you do need to know a little about what you are doing. You cant simply put any old number in. If your internet connection isnt running smoothly i.e. your speed in speed tests(www.adslguide.org.uk/speedtest) is seriously slower than what it should, then you should change these settings.

MTU should be less than 1500, settings like 1458 and 1430 are used and work well, 1492 worked well for me. MTU would really effect XBox Live, and not your PC internet. If your PC internet is really crap i.e slow then chances are XBox Live would be slow as well.

My settings were 1492 and 17424 for MTU and RWIN. XBox Live still works with no lag as I tested a 8 player game of MechAssault. In the test screen for my connection I get 0 ul, 0 dl, 0/0 packets and a very hig ping. This of course would be wrong as these stats mean that XBox Live would be unplayble and maybe not even work. Are any others experiencing this? Maybe its my firewall, i'll try and disable it while I do another test and see if I get the same results.
Sun 05/01/03 at 16:37
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Mantis wrote:
> I'm miffed about XboxLive now. You all said you need routeers or
> soemthing, but now Xbox.com say you don't NEED to use one, only use
> one if you want the internet on at the same time.
>
> If not, just plug your USB modem into PC, ethernet from PC to xbox,and
> your on XboxLive. Right?

Routers are used if you want to use XBox Live without your PC being turned on. ICS (USB modem, ethernet card etc) is used if you cant be bothered to get a router and dont mind having your PC on. Direct connection is only for Cable users as ADSL doesnt work with that.
Sun 05/01/03 at 15:49
Regular
Almost, all you really need is a direct connection from a cable modem to the Xbox.

If you want to connect two devices at the same time. i.e. PC &Xbox at exactly the same time, you need to get a router (or a dual IP internet connection and a hub ;).

Mucking about with all these MTU setting etc. is seriously bad advice if your a novice. Take a note of the default settings for your system before touching anything like this.
Sun 05/01/03 at 15:45
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
I'm miffed about XboxLive now. You all said you need routeers or soemthing, but now Xbox.com say you don't NEED to use one, only use one if you want the internet on at the same time.

If not, just plug your USB modem into PC, ethernet from PC to xbox,and your on XboxLive. Right?
Sun 05/01/03 at 14:42
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
HalloHowArtThou wrote:
> adrian wrote:
> A good site to go to is www.dslreports.com, as this will test your
> connection for MTU, RWIN e.t.c and will advice on tweaks. You can
> also
> get DrTCP from there as well.
>
> did you get that site from a dude called Adrian on the help line?
> I kept on being put through to him by coincidence and eventually he
> told me the site even though I dont think he was allowed.

Knew about the site already. And knew about RWIN and MTU settings.

The MTU and RWIN settings wouldnt stop XBox Live working. If your settings are completely wrong then your internet on your PC would be all screwy as well. I have only just set mine to 1430 MTU and 13900 RWIN and XBox Live works. Prevously XBox Live worked when my MTU was 1492 and RWIN was 17424. But I do have a problem which may be due to MTU and RWIN. When I test the connection and press Y when its finished I get 0 ul, 0 dl, 0/0 packets and a ping of 65325ms or something like that. I can actually go and play games like I use to. I dont know if Microsoft have changed something or whether theres a glitch. I tried the stats before I changed the settings on Friday and they were fine. Or my Firewall could be messing about like it has in the past. I can still connect and still play like usual, but I get those crappy stats, even though they were a waste of time as I had dl rates of 1000+ when my connection is a 512. As along as I can play on XBox Live, which I can I dont mind about the stats.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.