GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Windows"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 04/01/03 at 18:52
Regular
Ya'know for the operating system that has 90 somthing percent of computers running on it Windows realy is bad. Shurly they could actualy improve the next one istead of just giving it a new look and charging though the nose for it.
Tue 07/01/03 at 21:11
the only thing i've found that hated XP was my geforce 2MX but i got a Geforce 2 GTS now so don't care :)
Tue 07/01/03 at 18:21
Regular
"Unretired"
I've tried XP but found it extremely unstable in the driver department. My digital camera and scanner drivers kept getting mixed up, plus heaps more of problems.
As for people finding 98se ugly then go download windows blinds, its a shell that makes an old 98se look like a XP without all the horrid components and unstableness. Saying that I hear from quite a few people that they find XP stable. hmmmmm.

Well, im sticking to 98se for quite a while.
Tue 07/01/03 at 16:25
Regular
Fosbe wrote:
> You do relaise that it is actually exterwemly good, it would run so
> smoothly and more effective and would hardly crash if you jus**t run
> products of microsft like the mac does. The only reason why bad things
> happen is because you ins**tall software and software all mingle
> together and the computer doesnt work as effective. Where as microsft
> use one sort of thing (dotn know what its called) and make it that all
> the softweare from them would work beautifully if you didnt have any
> otyher software. But as you all know you do need to run other software
> so microsoft are working dam hard on in improvign the os. So really i
> would be more grateful if i was you and if not why dont you jus**t
> change. I can see why they charge so much too. Have you even brought
> any decent software for youer pc that isnt a game? It cos**t at leas**t
> £60 for anything better that crap, and prices go up over a
> £1000.

For a s**tart, using a Mac is no different really. I mean, the OS and hardware are both Apple, but all your other software (ie, PhotoShop, CorelDraw, illus**trator, Freehand, etc, etc) are made by other people, so you s**till get the "mingle together" effect.

All the big players, like Microsoft and Apple are in it for the money. And, fixing bugs in the OS doesnt make money-is cos**ts money. You wouldn't buy a OS upgrade if it looked the same as the old one, but jus**t ran smoother would you. Mos**t people would not but it as it would be claimed it was "the same as the las**t one". That's why so much effort is going into front ends right now. It's a case of, "look how much better this one looks than that old sh*t.
Tue 07/01/03 at 11:53
Regular
"ProGolfer"
You do relaise that it is actually exterwemly good, it would run so smoothly and more effective and would hardly crash if you just run products of microsft like the mac does. The only reason why bad things happen is because you install software and software all mingle together and the computer doesnt work as effective. Where as microsft use one sort of thing (dotn know what its called) and make it that all the softweare from them would work beautifully if you didnt have any otyher software. But as you all know you do need to run other software so microsoft are working dam hard on in improvign the os. So really i would be more grateful if i was you and if not why dont you just change. I can see why they charge so much too. Have you even brought any decent software for youer pc that isnt a game? It cost at least £60 for anything better that crap, and prices go up over a £1000.
Tue 07/01/03 at 11:32
Makes you wonder when Bill Gates openly admitted to using Linux at home as opposed to his on Windows system.
Tue 07/01/03 at 10:56
Regular
"Tag as above"
Sniper Master wrote:
> Ya'know for the operating system that has 90 somthing percent of
> computers running on it Windows realy is bad. Shurly they could
> actualy improve the next one istead of just giving it a new look and
> charging though the nose for it.

Good argument.
Mon 06/01/03 at 19:28
For everything day things such as word processing etc Linux is way ahead for me, however due to there not been many games available for it at the mo XP does the job very well, in my opinion.
Mon 06/01/03 at 19:21
XP is fine and given the choice i'd stick with it as most games/software run on it and until that changes meh
Sun 05/01/03 at 22:14
Regular
""
so what are the choices?

IBM OS2 - not on your nelly
Mac - ok, if youre into that. not for me
Linux - getting warm

& emmm...

Windows - well, with the recent court rulings about opening some of the sourcecode up, this really could make a difference.

So tell me. what are your honest reasons for hating M$? Somehow i dont think its because you're not happy that the kernal cant be customised, or that or that IE ships with every OS. There are always choices. Just that some arent as good as others.

in my opinion.
Sun 05/01/03 at 21:29
Regular
You'd think so wouldn't you

But I must admit, Windows XP IS really nice looking, I cringe when I see the old '98 layout now.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.