GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Controversial Stuff"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 18/08/07 at 00:47
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
Well the new design seems OK, though the avatars are a bit repetitive and they do create a lot of blank space in the listings.

Do the avatars deter new users?

Work is progressing on the chat forum system to enable you (Freeola customers) to have ready made forums on your web sites.

Freeola Bingo is much improved now that it runs constantly. Originally suggested on the forums, Freeola Bingo was intended to give the forums a boost. By the way, it's not intended to be a permanent fixture and Google won't allow us to advertise it, even though it's free.

The site gets thousands of visitors and hundreds of new sign-ups per day, but this is hardly evident on the forums.

It does not seem worthwhile to me, to have eight different forums generating small numbers of posts. Maybe there should only be one.

As the rest of Gameaday is games orientated wouldn't it be better to have one focal point and declare this a games forum. After all you can still chat and post intelligent threads or stories, or talk about wrestling, regardless of what the forums are actually called. Back to our roots perhaps.

Or have chat forums "had their day"?
Sun 19/08/07 at 11:40
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
Rastab wrote:
> I didn't want it sullied by this place. I 'retired' it from the
> Freeola forums as a mark of respect for SR. Sad but true.

What a sad person. I recommend that you seek a fresh environment. Something to cheer you up.
Sun 19/08/07 at 11:34
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
Hmmm... wrote:
> Perhaps it's time to leave the Games behind as Freeola
> are no longer in that business!? Many other ISP's have active
> and useful forums for their customers, perhaps you could build
> on that side of things?

Most of the visitors to the Gameaday sites are gamers. Maybe there should be a games forum and a website development forum, where people mostly do their general chat in the games forum.
Sun 19/08/07 at 11:14
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
Ladybird wrote:
> I suppose people need to find something to blame for the recent
> plummeting of the forums.

I don't think this is the case. But it may be appropriate to make some changes.
Sun 19/08/07 at 11:08
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
Grix Thraves wrote:
> On the http://freeola.com/ main page, why not have a 'Forums' tab

An additional navigation has now been placed within MyFreeola, and there are adverts for Gameaday and the various parts of it all over the site. The Gameaday group of sites are getting thousands of visitors and hundreds of sign-ups per day. There is no need to promote them from Freeola home pages which are already full of important content.

> Once upon a time, if you remember, GAD was awarded to chat posts
> only. I honestly think that's the way it needs to go. Nobody
> cares about the reviews, nobody cares about the walkthroughs,
> they're just being used for GAD. Return all GADS to chat posts,
> and I reckon you might have a chance of people really making an
> effort in topics, instead of these banal topics that I'm -sure-
> are driving people away.

We simply cannot go this way and I don't agree that nobody cares about Walkthroughs.
Sun 19/08/07 at 11:03
Regular
I just have to say, that is the most I think I've seen Chaos post in such heartfelt grammatically correct verbiage.

I think Machie is awesome to have posted his now dubbed "thread killers." Grix can kiss my grits for saying that, because he was acting the fool and not wanting anything to do with this place out of spite, while Machie was doing what he could to keep this place lively to some degree with those threads. They brought people out of their shells (and out of the lurking shadows) and became a good ice breaker for n00bz and people that just want to post for the sake of posting, like Miss Leading.

I suppose people need to find something to blame for the recent plummeting of the forums.. but I just find it ironic how they practically flatlined after certain people came back.

Anyways, I still say the forum gestapo's are lame. Too many chief's not enough injuns. We need to can the whole lot of them.

Aside for pb, I really don't see that any of them do much but create a nuisance around here. If we're to keep them, they really need to have a major part in contributing to the forums they moderate to make them more lively, not just sit around and wait for user posted threads to modify at whim. I'm thinking they should be voted in like Notables.
Sun 19/08/07 at 11:01
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
FantasyMeister wrote:
> Don't let people change their names either, About 75% of the
> people on here chat like old friends because they seem to know
> me but I haven't a clue who they are.

I think this is a particularly good point, or perhaps people should need to request a name change instead of being allowed to make it.
Sun 19/08/07 at 10:55
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
Garin wrote:
> Well in my opinion and to be blunt, the forums are simply too
> difficult to use and view. In your eagerness to promote your
> services, usability has been left behind.

This was one of the reasons for the latest change in navigation buttons, i.e. you now see buttons for Cheats, Walkthroughs etc along the top.

But I am not sure what you mean when you say the forums are difficult to use. Can you explain?
Sun 19/08/07 at 00:27
Regular
"You've upset me"
I didn't want it sullied by this place. I 'retired' it from the Freeola forums as a mark of respect for SR. Sad but true.
Sun 19/08/07 at 00:21
Regular
This place is so bad it doesn't even deserve rasta's full name.

Edit: 15 posts? LIES
Sun 19/08/07 at 00:14
Regular
"You've upset me"
Down with Tony!

This place has absolutely zero allure or interest to me anymore. Over-sanitised & underused. Something that I honestly believe can be traced back to SR going under, the pathetic Freeola paternalism and the fact that about 80% of the userbase sodded off elsewhere.

Ah well.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.