GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Final Fantasy X Sucks"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 31/01/02 at 15:18
Regular
I'd never actually played a Final Fantasy game until about 3 months ago. I started from VIII, but didn't finish that. Then I went back 3 and 4 through emulation. While they weren't brilliant, I enjoyed them...

The other day (Tuesday) I went to my friends house from church. He's like some sort of 'Gaming Oracle'... granted, he thinks Rare have made games for PS in the US, but other than that, he has all the consoles, and knows his stuff.

Anyway, I was looking through his collection of PS2 games, and I asked what Jobu Men Chachu was (Or somethinglike that) he said it's Japanese. I asked him if he has his PS2 chipped - In answer, he pulled out a Japanese PS2 and showed me copies of all the Japanese RPG's that hadn't made it to England (Yet)

Then out of the blue he asked me if I wanted to play Final Fantasy X

Yes! I said

So we fired it up, and it all looked good, but when you play it, it sucks! I've never played such a boring, crap, ill-timed game in all my life! The battle system isn't bad, but it lacks in almost every department except sound! I don't know how long this Final Fantasy crap is going to go on, but Square should either go back to their roots and develop better storylines, or try and figutre out how to use a PS2 Dev kit!

Now, while I'm no RPG master, I do know how they should work, and FFX isn't the way! I didn't have too long to play it (About an hour), but it seems like more of a movie. It's packed with cut-scenes and all that rubbish.

Maybe it's just me, but even EDGE gave it just 6 or 7/10.

I think it's about time they stopped them... or atleast changed the direction of the franchise.

If FFXI is as bad, SONY will lose so many customers!
Thu 31/01/02 at 19:09
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Well, I'[m not great fan of FF but I read in the states that X has already outsold VIII, despite the PS2's smaller fanbase.
Thu 31/01/02 at 17:41
Regular
"Back For Good"
The Game wrote:
>Final Fantasy X sucks!!

*loads shotgun*

I've never played
> such a boring, crap, ill-timed game in all my life! The battle system isn't bad,
> but it lacks in almost every department except sound!

Dude you can't judge an RPG by having a quick go and especially the Japanese version!!! 40 hours i heard FFX takes. The first time I played tomb raider i thought it was the biggest pile of rat infested garbage I'd ever played, the graphics were bad, controls were bad and the game was "like looking for a needle in a haystack" as I used to put it. I bought the game again and sat my way through it all and It's now one of my all time favourites, It takes time to get used to a game and then time to play it.

>Square should or try and figure out how to use a PS2 Dev
> kit!

Did you miss the FMVs, character models, facial animation, 5:1 sound and amazing graphics? I think they know exactly what they're doing!!!

>I didn't have too long to play it (About an hour)

thought so

Maybe
> it's just me, but even EDGE gave it just 6 or 7/10.

It's not from microsoft, so what did you expect??

I think it's about time
> they stopped them... or at least changed the direction of the franchise.

stop them? Final Fantasy is one of the most succesful games ever and saved them back in the nes days. They do change the direction every time, update certain things, add a new cast, new storyline etc. FFX brought back the tactical combat system and I always wonder what type of mini games are going to be added.

If
> FFXI is as bad, SONY will lose so many customers!

according to magicbox Final Fantasy 11 is the Japanese most wanted title and many people think Final Fantasy is excellent, about 2.5 million in Japan!!
Thu 31/01/02 at 15:54
Regular
Two aspects make Final Fantasy great:
Presentation (graphics, sound, special effects...etc) and story.

If the story is botched up, what does that leave.
It doesn't exactly have any real gameplay to make up for it...
Thu 31/01/02 at 15:33
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Well, I've read the EDGE review of it, and from that I agree...

Square seem to have (from what I've read), used a "press X on everything" policy whereby you don't know what you're looking for until you press X on it!

Then there are the random battled that occur every two minutes and serve no purpose.

The stroy is meant to be like a soap opera, and the characters annoy you.

I expect the game to sell millions and go multi-platinum on every continent.

Sonic
Thu 31/01/02 at 15:18
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
I'd never actually played a Final Fantasy game until about 3 months ago. I started from VIII, but didn't finish that. Then I went back 3 and 4 through emulation. While they weren't brilliant, I enjoyed them...

The other day (Tuesday) I went to my friends house from church. He's like some sort of 'Gaming Oracle'... granted, he thinks Rare have made games for PS in the US, but other than that, he has all the consoles, and knows his stuff.

Anyway, I was looking through his collection of PS2 games, and I asked what Jobu Men Chachu was (Or somethinglike that) he said it's Japanese. I asked him if he has his PS2 chipped - In answer, he pulled out a Japanese PS2 and showed me copies of all the Japanese RPG's that hadn't made it to England (Yet)

Then out of the blue he asked me if I wanted to play Final Fantasy X

Yes! I said

So we fired it up, and it all looked good, but when you play it, it sucks! I've never played such a boring, crap, ill-timed game in all my life! The battle system isn't bad, but it lacks in almost every department except sound! I don't know how long this Final Fantasy crap is going to go on, but Square should either go back to their roots and develop better storylines, or try and figutre out how to use a PS2 Dev kit!

Now, while I'm no RPG master, I do know how they should work, and FFX isn't the way! I didn't have too long to play it (About an hour), but it seems like more of a movie. It's packed with cut-scenes and all that rubbish.

Maybe it's just me, but even EDGE gave it just 6 or 7/10.

I think it's about time they stopped them... or atleast changed the direction of the franchise.

If FFXI is as bad, SONY will lose so many customers!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.