GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Xbox Live is bloody confusin"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 05/01/03 at 23:21
Regular
Well, not to me anymore so much, but to someone off the street- supposidly the onces who are going to go out and buy the service- the word ethernet is enough to get a blank, miffed face, let alone routers, ICS connections, firewalls and NICcards or whatever.

Just scroll down the glossery of techno babble that Microsft are expecting people to know, or at least partly understand.

Here http://www.xbox.com/LIVE/connect/glossary.htm#nic

And look at adrien tryin to explain MICP numbers(whatever the hell they are) to olympic hero.

Lists of incompatable routers, modems, different conection types. To many people, just forget it. They won't have a clue.

Good luck to MS getting Xboxlive to take off- its not as easy as they make out.
Sun 05/01/03 at 23:51
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Mantis wrote:
> Adrien wrote:
> MTU numbers :). It's basically a internet setting, the maximum number
> of bytes per message. For example Ethernet as a maximum MTU of 1500.
>
> WTF?
>
> MS said this would be easy- yea for people like you who have PCs all
> around you and know what you're doing.

It is easy. MTU is only really changed for people who tweak there connection. Windows has a default MTU which it uses and it may not be the best. For example on my Machine the MTU was 1492 and I changed it to 1430. I went from a download of 465k max to a 480k max. If your internet connection is really slow compared to what it should be then you may need to change the MTU. Apart from that you dont even need to know it exists let alone mess with it.
Sun 05/01/03 at 23:50
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
Hundreds of thousands of people seem to have managed it just fine so far.

Saying that, with my router it wouldn't work at all before I entered in the IP address and DNS server manually. Stupid automatic rubbish. Of course, my dad being a network engineer did help...
Sun 05/01/03 at 23:45
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
Adrien wrote:
> MTU numbers :). It's basically a internet setting, the maximum number of bytes per message. For example Ethernet as a maximum MTU of 1500.

WTF?

MS said this would be easy- yea for people like you who have PCs all around you and know what you're doing.

I have a crap PC. I have basic knoledge- no probably more than most people but still its a bit confusing. And to be honest XboxLive'll probably come across as geeky instead of cool.

Mabye er-no is right. People arn't ready for it.
Sun 05/01/03 at 23:29
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Mantis wrote:
> And look at adrien tryin to explain MICP numbers(whatever the hell
> they are) to olympic hero.

MTU numbers :). It's basically a internet setting, the maximum number of bytes per message. For example Ethernet as a maximum MTU of 1500.
Sun 05/01/03 at 23:21
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
Well, not to me anymore so much, but to someone off the street- supposidly the onces who are going to go out and buy the service- the word ethernet is enough to get a blank, miffed face, let alone routers, ICS connections, firewalls and NICcards or whatever.

Just scroll down the glossery of techno babble that Microsft are expecting people to know, or at least partly understand.

Here http://www.xbox.com/LIVE/connect/glossary.htm#nic

And look at adrien tryin to explain MICP numbers(whatever the hell they are) to olympic hero.

Lists of incompatable routers, modems, different conection types. To many people, just forget it. They won't have a clue.

Good luck to MS getting Xboxlive to take off- its not as easy as they make out.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.