GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"surround sound and xbox......help needed"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 06/01/03 at 18:07
Regular
Hello
I have just taken delivery of my surround sound system, now the problem of connecting up the box to it....anyone got any suggestions on which type of leads etc are required? I have been told to get a digital optical cable, but what else is needed? and is it worth buying brand names or ordinary leads? does it make much difference? Any advice??
Thu 09/01/03 at 17:05
Regular
WOOHOO.....looks like i'm sorted :) I must say that if you havent got surround sound....GET IT, everything is improved, the advanced scart really gives the picture the boost you've been looking for and the sound.....well, its impressive to say the least. Halo is simply one of the best, Splinter Cell only on the surround sound do you realise how clumsy and noisy you've been!!!!LOL

Recommend getting it set up to all who havent got it.

Thanks for the help too guys :)
Wed 08/01/03 at 22:39
Regular
hmm...all is not well it seems :( I'll show what connections i have on each item and we'll go from there....
TV has 2 scarts and 1 red/1 white (audio??) sockets

DVD/Amp unit has Video 1 block :Audio In L and R & Video In and also Audio Out L and R & Video Out sockets
Video 2 block : Audio In L and R & VideoIn and also the Optical Digital socket
Component Video Out block : Y, PB/CB, PR/CR sockets
Monitor Out block :S Video socket and a "yellow" video socket.

Sky box has VCR Scart, TV Scart and the rest are all RF out and aerial in sockets.

This is what I've connected so far.......the xbox advanced scart has gone to scart 1 on the TV and the optical digital lead has gone to the Optical digital socket on the DVD/Amp unit (This set up is sorted i think??)

A "scart to 3RCA" lead goes from scart 2 on the TV to the "Audio Out L and R & Video Out" sockets on the DVD/Amp unit (I think this is sorted too)

The problem is where do i connect the sky box to and with what type of cable? I think that another "scart to 3RCA" lead going from the VCR scart on the sky box to the "Audio In L and R & VideoIn" on video 2 block on the DVD/Amp, but I'm not sure?????

Any takers????
Tue 07/01/03 at 23:54
Regular
I recently purchased a 5.1 system, though it was a logic3 system which came with everything needed. Though this was made for games so it gave really clear instructions and so far it is amazing. i had to buy one of those official advanced scart cables with the optical socket because when i got the system it had the optical cable but the xbox has got a optical output. Its worth spending the 15 quid on the new scart cabke as you only get a 'line in' (whatvere that is) option, this wouldnt let me use 5.1

There is no way that i would go back to normal tv speakers now after hearing 5.1. Anyone ever played Sega GT 2002 with 5.1? Its amazing as you hear the cars whiz behind as you overtake them and also you fact that you can (like in most driving games) make your own playlist. 5.1 is well worth its money in gold.

If you havnt got it yet.... then you probably should.
Tue 07/01/03 at 21:07
the RGB scart will normally have a square with 3 dots in it pictured above the scart if that helps ;)
Tue 07/01/03 at 20:47
Regular
It will have to go into scart 1 because it will be the only socket which accepts RGB signals. It doesn't make any difference putting SKY into scart socket 2 just as long as you remember to change the durrent scart using the remote control. If you bought a scart splitter where you can run 3-5 scarts into one then you could run it all from the RGB socket and the TV should automatically recognise which scart is required.
Tue 07/01/03 at 20:02
Regular
Kitch...it is the 550 model, and I'm in a right feckin tangle at the mo......got the sky and the stereo almost sorted....i think!!
does it make much difference if the sky scart goes into scart slot 2 on my telly and the xbox into slot 1 (summat to do with the RGB only being used in slot 1???)
will let you know what happens :)
Tue 07/01/03 at 13:21
You did not put what model, I have the DAVS550 and use an optical cable. Purchased the official Xbox advanced scart which adds the optical out, purchased an optical cable from Argos for about £12, plugs straight in between new cable and the Digital in on DAV. Then switch on Dav and change function to Video 2, make sure the sound setting is set to auto decode (i think, doing this from memory) and you will now benifit from Dolby Digital. You may have to go into the Xbox dashboard and enable dolby digital output as I think by default it is set to off.

This makes an amazing difference to the games, and as already stated if you have Halo try that first with the volume cranked up.

Good Luck.
Mon 06/01/03 at 22:29
Regular
Halo is AMAZING in surround sound and probably the best on the Xbox in the sound department. Max Payne is also very good and so is Splinter Cell amongst many others. I think buying an all in one package is the best thing you can do because that way you don't get an AMP that is more powerful than the speakers and vica versa. The advanced scart will bring in a better picture for your games and it will make the sound quality nothing short of amazing (with a little help from your surround sound system). If you want anymore help just ask and I will assist if Tom doesn't first. Enjoy!
Mon 06/01/03 at 22:06
Regular
Its a "davs" system from sony, i know iknow.....its better to get seperates but to be honest, I couldnt be arsed with the hassle....so went for an all in 1 package. It seems to have all the right gizmo's and sockets, but then I'm none to sure anyhow!!

Thanks for the help....I'll be getting the advanced scart and optical lead tomorrow......role on tomorrow night- Halo in hopefully glorious surround sound :))
Mon 06/01/03 at 21:49
Regular
You need to purchase and RGB Advanced Scart cable and an optical input cable. Using the scart you can connect your Xbox to your TV and then the optical input cable runs from a little box on your advanced scart and into the back of the AMP. Its very straight forward once you understand but like you before I got a Dolby Digital 5.1 system I didn't have a clue and Tom was the man to guide me through the correct purchase and provide me with the nessecery information. Which system have you got?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.