GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Max Payne PS2"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 30/01/02 at 18:28
Regular
Is anyone with me when i say that Max Payne on the PS2 is an awesome game that should not be condemed by the likes of www.gamespot.com and www.ign.com , what do they want in a game that this game dosent have. Firstly they complained about the frame rate, i know it is not as good as other titles such as Gran Turismo 3 and Agent Under Fire but if I had followed their advice I wouldn't be the proud owner of one of the greatest console games ever to be desIgned i absolutley love it and i have completed it 3 times but i still want to go back for more, when these web-sites review the games it is coming from one persons opinion just like mine is here but why does it have such a big impact on gamers today. When you see the Official PS2 Magazine slating a game it puts us off but at the end of the day it is only one persons view of the game. Everything about Max Payne is excellent and the only thing i wish is that it was twice as long. Does anyone know when Max Payne 2 will be released in the UK on the PS2 because i cant wait to get my hands on the sequel to this superb console title, WELL DONE ROCKSTAR!
Sun 03/02/02 at 01:28
Regular
"Formally:Ev][L~DarK"
The thing that put me down was the annoying controls :(
Sat 02/02/02 at 23:52
I really didn't find the game very interesting. The bullet time was cool for about half the game then I got tire of it, the story was lame, and the way that they broke the story down into comic book styleing was just stupid. The best part of the game was how cocky Max was but in the end it was just another shooter with a few extra options.
Sat 02/02/02 at 16:22
And what better way of letting it rest than popping an old thread?
Sat 02/02/02 at 14:44
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Reading through these posts on this thread I never knew there could be so many ways of wording the comment "max payne on PS2 is ok, but the PC and X-Box versions are better". Argh !!! Stop saying that comment ! We get the drift after like 3 times !!! ;-)) Don't need everyone else saying it too ! ;-))
Thu 31/01/02 at 10:54
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I don't wish it was longer. I played it on the PC (which it was concieved for) and by the end, I had got thoroughly bored of it - The bullet time innovation had worn its novelty off on me, and I just got very bored. I do like the film noir setting, and the narrative that Max uses, but as a game it is short, and so it should be - Can you imagin going on like that for another 5 chapters - very boring!
Thu 31/01/02 at 10:43
Regular
"bitterly jaded ;]"
I do in fact quite like it but it is far too short and the narrative is about as original as pacman. You even wish it was longer!!
Thu 31/01/02 at 10:27
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
mothballed wrote:
> No you're not right...It is very short/linear/derivative and not a patch on half
> life or deus ex.

Its firstly its my view, also magazines are happy with it and say its a good game. Secondly Half-life and Deus Ex are FPS games. Its like comparing Gran Turismo 3 to Tony Hawks 3.

In your view you dont like Max Payne, but thats your view not anyone elses.
Thu 31/01/02 at 10:22
Regular
"bitterly jaded ;]"
No you're not right...It is very short/linear/derivative and not a patch on half life or deus ex. The only fun thing in Max Payne is the bullet time feature which is only good for about half an hour, then it becomes tiresome.....
Thu 31/01/02 at 09:53
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
PSW have got a review of it. Other magazines may have reviewed it aswell. PSW didnt review Jak And Daxter till it had been out for over a month. Some times magazines dont get to review a game before it comes out. In Max Paynes case, its not a rubbish game that they dont want the magazines to get hold of.

Max Payne is good on the PS2 but not as good as the X-Box or PC version. If you have a powerful PC then you would want to get Max Payne on that. If your PC couldnt even run Quake then you would get the PS2 version.
Thu 31/01/02 at 09:41
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
How come it's on the shelves with PS2 boxes when the magazines havent got their hands on a review copy yet?

Very suspicious!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.