GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sony - You can keep your PS3"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 06/01/03 at 20:17
Regular
The PlayStation 2 has been around for 3 years now, and has brought us gamers a lot of great titles that we have all enjoyed playing. The console itself is said to be “weak”, but here is a few of the PlayStation 2s’ package:

- 128 Bit “Emotion Engine” CPU.
- 32 MB RAM, 4 MB VRAM and 48 channel sound.
- 24 X CD drive/4 X DVD drive. Play games, DVDs and audio CDs.
- Internet capability with forthcoming broadband internet adaptor.
- 2 X USB ports, RCMCIA slot, 2 memory card slots and AV slot.
- Backward compatible with PSX games.

Now for a while now, the “PS3” has been talked about. There’s been a predicted release date, a few guesses on what the console will have, whether it goes to 264 Bit or not etc. But if I’m honest, I only bought my PS2 two Christmases ago, a year after it’s release. In all honesty, Sony can keep their new addition to the PlayStation series. I’m don’t want it, because I don’t need it and I don’t think you do either.

Now, the two rivals have come along and all the techno geeks only think about one thing, and that’s power. But I don’t, all I can think about is the games. Now the PS2 has a lot to other. I’ve mentioned it a lot over the times, and that’s its games. So it’s backed by a lot of good producers, but it also has them little sockets in the back of it. Yes, they’re there for internet gaming.

Now the P.C has had people playing internet games on it for along time now, and hell has it been successful. Almost everyone is connected to the internet, and if their P.C can hack it, they’ve probably played a game over the ‘net against other gamers. So the success of internet gaming is a huge back up for Sony, they must be sure that if they do make the PS2 go all “broadbandy”, that it will be a huge success. So that’s one reason why the PS2 doesn’t need to go anywhere further in the near future.

Another reason for staying with the PS2 is a huge reason; it’s just starting to sell. Now it’s sold a lot over Christmas period, a lot of people will have the console. Not only that, but now kids will go ‘round their friend’s houses and see the PlayStation 2, and ask their mummies to get them one. So with a lot of people owning the console, and with a lot of games, Sony must go to the ‘net. Do you see what I’m getting at; all my points are linking up. It would only take a few steps and the console war, I hate saying that, would be over once and for all. It would be a shame to see it end, but surely Sony can see the position that they are in.

There is also another little slot in the back of the PS2, don’t ask me what it’s for. But, after we’ve already seen it on the N64, an expansion thingy could be made so that the graphics and that would improve. That would shut the boffins up. You can’t disagree; a lot of the games on the X-Box and GameCube look a lot better than the games on the PS2. But that’s only because of the technology that was thought of between the PS2s release and when its rivals were released. Yet again, this idea links with the rest. If the PS2 had the best graphics, internet gaming and the best games around, the X-Box and the GameCube would be gone.

Yes, bringing out a new console would mean that Sony would get a lot more money than what they are getting now. But surely it is better to have loyal gamers and a lot more owners of their console than making more money in a short space, where as they could make a killing in the long run. The future of gaming is un-known, but I would hate to see the PlayStation 2 leave so soon. Seeing as Sony have, or had, such series’ as GTA, Metal Gear Solid and Crash Bandicoot, it’s not as if they don’t have enough in that list already.

Even if they only delay the “PS3” for a couple more years, I’ll still be glad. I’ll play my PS2 for as long as I can, no matter what other things are on the market. Yes, I do have a GameCube. And yes, Nintendo are a bit more loyal to their purchasers. But Sony is in the lead at the moment, and I hope they do realise this.

Thanks for reading,
( . )Juicy Melons( . )
Mon 06/01/03 at 20:17
Regular
"[SE] Shadow Elite"
The PlayStation 2 has been around for 3 years now, and has brought us gamers a lot of great titles that we have all enjoyed playing. The console itself is said to be “weak”, but here is a few of the PlayStation 2s’ package:

- 128 Bit “Emotion Engine” CPU.
- 32 MB RAM, 4 MB VRAM and 48 channel sound.
- 24 X CD drive/4 X DVD drive. Play games, DVDs and audio CDs.
- Internet capability with forthcoming broadband internet adaptor.
- 2 X USB ports, RCMCIA slot, 2 memory card slots and AV slot.
- Backward compatible with PSX games.

Now for a while now, the “PS3” has been talked about. There’s been a predicted release date, a few guesses on what the console will have, whether it goes to 264 Bit or not etc. But if I’m honest, I only bought my PS2 two Christmases ago, a year after it’s release. In all honesty, Sony can keep their new addition to the PlayStation series. I’m don’t want it, because I don’t need it and I don’t think you do either.

Now, the two rivals have come along and all the techno geeks only think about one thing, and that’s power. But I don’t, all I can think about is the games. Now the PS2 has a lot to other. I’ve mentioned it a lot over the times, and that’s its games. So it’s backed by a lot of good producers, but it also has them little sockets in the back of it. Yes, they’re there for internet gaming.

Now the P.C has had people playing internet games on it for along time now, and hell has it been successful. Almost everyone is connected to the internet, and if their P.C can hack it, they’ve probably played a game over the ‘net against other gamers. So the success of internet gaming is a huge back up for Sony, they must be sure that if they do make the PS2 go all “broadbandy”, that it will be a huge success. So that’s one reason why the PS2 doesn’t need to go anywhere further in the near future.

Another reason for staying with the PS2 is a huge reason; it’s just starting to sell. Now it’s sold a lot over Christmas period, a lot of people will have the console. Not only that, but now kids will go ‘round their friend’s houses and see the PlayStation 2, and ask their mummies to get them one. So with a lot of people owning the console, and with a lot of games, Sony must go to the ‘net. Do you see what I’m getting at; all my points are linking up. It would only take a few steps and the console war, I hate saying that, would be over once and for all. It would be a shame to see it end, but surely Sony can see the position that they are in.

There is also another little slot in the back of the PS2, don’t ask me what it’s for. But, after we’ve already seen it on the N64, an expansion thingy could be made so that the graphics and that would improve. That would shut the boffins up. You can’t disagree; a lot of the games on the X-Box and GameCube look a lot better than the games on the PS2. But that’s only because of the technology that was thought of between the PS2s release and when its rivals were released. Yet again, this idea links with the rest. If the PS2 had the best graphics, internet gaming and the best games around, the X-Box and the GameCube would be gone.

Yes, bringing out a new console would mean that Sony would get a lot more money than what they are getting now. But surely it is better to have loyal gamers and a lot more owners of their console than making more money in a short space, where as they could make a killing in the long run. The future of gaming is un-known, but I would hate to see the PlayStation 2 leave so soon. Seeing as Sony have, or had, such series’ as GTA, Metal Gear Solid and Crash Bandicoot, it’s not as if they don’t have enough in that list already.

Even if they only delay the “PS3” for a couple more years, I’ll still be glad. I’ll play my PS2 for as long as I can, no matter what other things are on the market. Yes, I do have a GameCube. And yes, Nintendo are a bit more loyal to their purchasers. But Sony is in the lead at the moment, and I hope they do realise this.

Thanks for reading,
( . )Juicy Melons( . )
Mon 06/01/03 at 20:23
Isnt the PS3 scheduled for 2005? By then every man and their dog will have a PS2, Sony will have saturated the market and need a new console to make millions
Mon 06/01/03 at 20:28
Regular
"[SE] Shadow Elite"
But they won't need to spend millions on the console in the first place if they think things through carefully. There's no need for a new console if all they are going to do is make the graphics available better. The X-Box has already got X-Box Live, so Sony need to bring out the broadband gaming soon if they are going to keep up with things. All Nintendo has is it's loyal gamers and it's games. I can't see them going on the 'net anytime soon, i don't even think they have plans to do so.
Mon 06/01/03 at 20:37
I agree theres no need for another Playstation yet because apparently they havent even nearly used the ps2 full potential and i think some of the games right now are good.

They should bring out another playstation but not for a long time
Mon 06/01/03 at 21:22
Regular
"Touched!"
Hmm..i agree with ya somewhat, but you say 264bit, surely you mean 256bit? 128x2 = 256, but sony can keep it..shove it..till 2005 that is! :D
Mon 06/01/03 at 21:52
Regular
I don't think Sony will ever annhialate it's rivals, as they're just losing too many exclusive games. In fact, I could probably manage just fine without my PS2 - but not my GameCube. Gamers are becoming increasingly aware about what consoles will offer them, and without Grand Theft Auto, Sony has nothing left to offer.

The console wars is still very much alive.
Mon 06/01/03 at 22:25
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
I think you are ok for now, PS3 (if they call it that) will not be around until late 2004 at the earliest, 2005 perhaps if not later.

Also the bit about 256bits, doubt that too. Bit size dosn't really benefit games in any way, PS2 is 128 bit, XBox is 32 bit. Can't say the differences between the two differ that much.
I think it is something that people are led to believe is actually important just for selling it.
"ohh a higher number, it must be better" kind of thing.

Don't expect to see a PS3 for quite some time so relax and enjoy your gaming. You will notice a lot of rumours for all the consoles, XBox 2, PS3 talk will appear more often. Wait for the hard facts from the likes of Sony though.
Mon 06/01/03 at 22:27
Regular
What does bit mean then?
Mon 06/01/03 at 22:33
"period drama"
The chip that's being developed for PS3 called the Cell or the Grid or whatever name they come up with next is said to have more than doubled the bit-count
Apparently they've overcome this rule that says things can only develop on this certain rate every 5 years or something and they've done about 20 years.
This is what i've heard, from what i can remember - so it should be more powerful than you expect.

I don't know if any of you get Play but inside there is a rumour of the PS2 and XB .5s - kind of like the PSone. Maybe a re-disign but incorperating the latest technolodgy including the Ti-Vo thing which allows you to pause and record live telly and all sort of things like that. And DVD-writing software for some reason.
It's weird, but look at all the rumours around PS2 before its release.

I'd like to see the PS3 delayed more - look at how the PSX games improved from release to final versions. It's really ashtonishing - the things like Ridge Racer and Tekken were blocky, horrible things compared to games like FF9 or even Tekken 3 which look like they're on a different console when prepared.
Its important that PS2 reached its limits before something takes its place - its nice to know when you're getting all you can from a machine. And games, in terms of graphics, detailing, size and sound are already superior to the release games. Just think what they'll be in a few years.

Oh, and someone buy a GC will you?
I really need one, there's so many exclusives to GC I'm missing out on.
Go on - its only money.
Tue 07/01/03 at 10:52
Regular
"No surrender"
Couldnt agree more. Unlike my girfriend, Im happy with what I have. Shes always wanting more, MORE! MORE! she yells. But i just say "Hey thats all your getting, now get down they stairs and get my dinner on before you feel the back o ma hand"

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.