GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sony - You can keep your PS3"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 06/01/03 at 20:17
Regular
The PlayStation 2 has been around for 3 years now, and has brought us gamers a lot of great titles that we have all enjoyed playing. The console itself is said to be “weak”, but here is a few of the PlayStation 2s’ package:

- 128 Bit “Emotion Engine” CPU.
- 32 MB RAM, 4 MB VRAM and 48 channel sound.
- 24 X CD drive/4 X DVD drive. Play games, DVDs and audio CDs.
- Internet capability with forthcoming broadband internet adaptor.
- 2 X USB ports, RCMCIA slot, 2 memory card slots and AV slot.
- Backward compatible with PSX games.

Now for a while now, the “PS3” has been talked about. There’s been a predicted release date, a few guesses on what the console will have, whether it goes to 264 Bit or not etc. But if I’m honest, I only bought my PS2 two Christmases ago, a year after it’s release. In all honesty, Sony can keep their new addition to the PlayStation series. I’m don’t want it, because I don’t need it and I don’t think you do either.

Now, the two rivals have come along and all the techno geeks only think about one thing, and that’s power. But I don’t, all I can think about is the games. Now the PS2 has a lot to other. I’ve mentioned it a lot over the times, and that’s its games. So it’s backed by a lot of good producers, but it also has them little sockets in the back of it. Yes, they’re there for internet gaming.

Now the P.C has had people playing internet games on it for along time now, and hell has it been successful. Almost everyone is connected to the internet, and if their P.C can hack it, they’ve probably played a game over the ‘net against other gamers. So the success of internet gaming is a huge back up for Sony, they must be sure that if they do make the PS2 go all “broadbandy”, that it will be a huge success. So that’s one reason why the PS2 doesn’t need to go anywhere further in the near future.

Another reason for staying with the PS2 is a huge reason; it’s just starting to sell. Now it’s sold a lot over Christmas period, a lot of people will have the console. Not only that, but now kids will go ‘round their friend’s houses and see the PlayStation 2, and ask their mummies to get them one. So with a lot of people owning the console, and with a lot of games, Sony must go to the ‘net. Do you see what I’m getting at; all my points are linking up. It would only take a few steps and the console war, I hate saying that, would be over once and for all. It would be a shame to see it end, but surely Sony can see the position that they are in.

There is also another little slot in the back of the PS2, don’t ask me what it’s for. But, after we’ve already seen it on the N64, an expansion thingy could be made so that the graphics and that would improve. That would shut the boffins up. You can’t disagree; a lot of the games on the X-Box and GameCube look a lot better than the games on the PS2. But that’s only because of the technology that was thought of between the PS2s release and when its rivals were released. Yet again, this idea links with the rest. If the PS2 had the best graphics, internet gaming and the best games around, the X-Box and the GameCube would be gone.

Yes, bringing out a new console would mean that Sony would get a lot more money than what they are getting now. But surely it is better to have loyal gamers and a lot more owners of their console than making more money in a short space, where as they could make a killing in the long run. The future of gaming is un-known, but I would hate to see the PlayStation 2 leave so soon. Seeing as Sony have, or had, such series’ as GTA, Metal Gear Solid and Crash Bandicoot, it’s not as if they don’t have enough in that list already.

Even if they only delay the “PS3” for a couple more years, I’ll still be glad. I’ll play my PS2 for as long as I can, no matter what other things are on the market. Yes, I do have a GameCube. And yes, Nintendo are a bit more loyal to their purchasers. But Sony is in the lead at the moment, and I hope they do realise this.

Thanks for reading,
( . )Juicy Melons( . )
Tue 07/01/03 at 23:14
"High polygon count"
( . )Juicy Melons( . ) wrote:
> The new Sony console has said to be able to rewind T.V and al that

That's nothing to do with the 'new' Sony console - that's in the works for PS2 with the HD and a tuner.
Tue 07/01/03 at 22:44
Regular
Without Grand Theft Auto, Sony will be brought crashing down. Even more so if the PS3 isn't backwards compatible. I can't help but think Sony are shooting themselves in the foot by adding all these new features to the PS2. Soon, their target audience (teenagers) won't even be able to afford one.
Tue 07/01/03 at 20:56
Regular
"[SE] Shadow Elite"
Exactly, which is what my post is mainly about. If Sony save their own time and money and stop making the PS3, it will all be better in the long run. Spend about half as much on games rather than the new console, and you're going to succeed. Sony had, i'm not sure whether they still do, alot of great gaming characters and series'. Back Kojima and the Metal Gear Solid series, out bid Microsoft and secure the MGS series. I'm not a huge fan of the GTA series, but alot of people are. Make sure that no one else can get their hands of a copy of the new GTA game unless they own your console, you'll earn billions.
Tue 07/01/03 at 19:15
Regular
Sony are getting too obsessed with power. I want some decent games. From what you guys are describing, the PS3's going to cost a bomb.
Tue 07/01/03 at 18:56
Regular
"[SE] Shadow Elite"
The new Sony console has said to be able to rewind T.V and al that, but what about a DVD recorder? The PS2's DVD player has made it sell alot of numbers all around the world, and that's because of the PS2's price. It is very cheap comaperd to DVD players on their own, but then the PS2's DVD player isn't all that. I want the Sony to hold on to their "PS3" for longer because this will alow them to overcome any problems and have enough time for testing. A few people were having problems with the PS2's DVD player when the console was first released, so more time testing can only be a good thing. I don't think Sony should be too worried about the other compotition and their next consoles. Sony were already making the "PS3" before the X-Box and the 'Cube were even released, so they must be along way ahead of the new Microsoft machine.

Downloading games can also have alot of problems. The hard drive on the new console would have to be huge in order to hold alot of games. After all, people won't want to be deleting games off of their hard drive in order to download newer games. Games nowadays can take up alot of space, and the whole hardrive business could be a big risk. I think having a hard drive for saving games only would be a good idea, sort of like the X-Box. Yes, not as many people would buy memory cards so Sony would lose a bit of money there, but they may earn money because of people buying the console when they hear they don't need a memory card. There are lots of possibilities if the new console does go onto the 'net, which it most doubtebly will. You could send your friends your own save files before going round, which would save you from buying a memory card.

Who knows what will happen in the near future, technoligy is getting ahead of alot of us nowadays, and may get too advanced for even the pro's. Simple and basic ideas are what usually works, so i hope Sony think things through before making any rash decisions.
Tue 07/01/03 at 17:27
"High polygon count"
Sony may want to go 100% online, but it's very unlikely to happen with PS3. Even with broadband, download of that much data (4.5Gb in some cases) is still too slow - not to mention that many people still won't want to take up broadband just for the purpose of playing games - so Sony would be limiting their market. I think discs of one kind or another will be around for some time yet. And speaking of discs - it is *rumoured* that PS2 will indeed use the BluRay media.

I believe Sony have already said that PS3 will not be backwards compatible, and it should also be the first Sony machine to feature four joypad ports.
Tue 07/01/03 at 15:07
Regular
I think Sony wan't to go 100% online. By that I mean, the PS3 will have no DVD or CD drive of any kind. The only drive will be a great big fixed hard disc drive, built in. I think Sony wan't us to get "the entire game" from the internet in the future. With PS2 + the hard disc/Broadband kit, we will still buy DVD games, then use online for specific add on features. Like Quake 3 with online play, or other things like that. In the future, Sony hope we will P.D.P (Purchase, Download, Play). So we won't be buying any disc, you will purchase the game online using a credit card. Then download it to your PS3, and finally play the game.

The downside is that, you would require a fast broadband connection. This is a problem for the UK, since only a fraction of the UK can get Broadband signals. Without broadband, any such console will be useless. Don't forget the cost too. Broadband subscription every month, and then some sort of subscription fee to Sony Online (pay as you go or fixed contract fee). I just can't see many people doing this even if they can get a Broadband signal, especially if the economy down turns big time.

I hope PS3 has the new Sony BlueLaser DVD drive (nearly 30Gb on a single sided disc), this would allow existing DVD movies and CD's to play. Plus, BlueLaser capacity offers the capacity to hold future HD-DVD movies (high definition DVD's). It would be nice if PS3 could play PS2 games as well, but again I don't think Sony will do this.
Tue 07/01/03 at 10:52
Regular
"No surrender"
Couldnt agree more. Unlike my girfriend, Im happy with what I have. Shes always wanting more, MORE! MORE! she yells. But i just say "Hey thats all your getting, now get down they stairs and get my dinner on before you feel the back o ma hand"
Mon 06/01/03 at 22:33
"period drama"
The chip that's being developed for PS3 called the Cell or the Grid or whatever name they come up with next is said to have more than doubled the bit-count
Apparently they've overcome this rule that says things can only develop on this certain rate every 5 years or something and they've done about 20 years.
This is what i've heard, from what i can remember - so it should be more powerful than you expect.

I don't know if any of you get Play but inside there is a rumour of the PS2 and XB .5s - kind of like the PSone. Maybe a re-disign but incorperating the latest technolodgy including the Ti-Vo thing which allows you to pause and record live telly and all sort of things like that. And DVD-writing software for some reason.
It's weird, but look at all the rumours around PS2 before its release.

I'd like to see the PS3 delayed more - look at how the PSX games improved from release to final versions. It's really ashtonishing - the things like Ridge Racer and Tekken were blocky, horrible things compared to games like FF9 or even Tekken 3 which look like they're on a different console when prepared.
Its important that PS2 reached its limits before something takes its place - its nice to know when you're getting all you can from a machine. And games, in terms of graphics, detailing, size and sound are already superior to the release games. Just think what they'll be in a few years.

Oh, and someone buy a GC will you?
I really need one, there's so many exclusives to GC I'm missing out on.
Go on - its only money.
Mon 06/01/03 at 22:27
Regular
What does bit mean then?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.