GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Quicksave - Do we really need it?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 30/01/02 at 14:39
Regular
Three weeks ago I was happily tripping my way through Half-Life for the second time. I was enjoying blasting my through the alien hordes and all was well. But underneath my enjoyment was a slight boredom, because I knew that however many times I got savaged by a giant fish, minced by a tentacle or burnt by giant Garg, that with just a tap of the magic button, all my health and ammo would be restored and I could have another attempt at defeating them. Yes, Half-Life is plagued with the quick-save.

But what about the novices among us? Those that can’t kill a head crab without blowing themselves up, or who can’t defeat Xan on the easiest setting. Without the quick-save to aid them, these ones could be totally stuck in the river of PC gaming without a paddle. But then if games are designed for novices, the veterans won’t be tested and so won’t really enjoy them. Its a vicious circle.

Thankfully, game developers have put specific thought to this matter, and so evolve games like Max Payne. Max Payne is a prime example of how to balance the dreaded quick-save. On the Fugitive setting there are unlimited quick-saves, but the harder difficulty you choose, the less saves you get. When you reach New York Minute there are no saves, and you also have a time limit.

I think the save method implemented in Max Payne is what we will see in the future of games; novices and old hands alike are fully catered for. And on the harder difficulty levels you still experience the thrill and tenseness of knowing that you only have x amount of saves to reach the end of the level.

I think the quick-save will survive, but limited strictly so as to bring the fun and enjoyability back into gaming.

Anybody disagree with me?
Tue 05/02/02 at 10:02
Regular
"Stud-muffin!!"
MoJoJoJo wrote:
> Don't like the quicksave and load?

Don't use it

But that equates to a self-imposed challenge that gamers shouldn't have to face. Developers should realise this.
Tue 05/02/02 at 00:16
Regular
"That's right!"
Don't like the quicksave and load?

Don't use it
Mon 04/02/02 at 20:52
"penguins in hawaii?"
Post a bit more, and you will become a regular (obviously) It's what i am doing!
Mon 04/02/02 at 10:13
Regular
"Stud-muffin!!"
I realise that but Newbies aren't allowed to post in there
Thu 31/01/02 at 20:49
Regular
"Back For Good"
Good post there mate, I'd Put it in Future of Gaming though :-)
Wed 30/01/02 at 14:39
Regular
"Stud-muffin!!"
Three weeks ago I was happily tripping my way through Half-Life for the second time. I was enjoying blasting my through the alien hordes and all was well. But underneath my enjoyment was a slight boredom, because I knew that however many times I got savaged by a giant fish, minced by a tentacle or burnt by giant Garg, that with just a tap of the magic button, all my health and ammo would be restored and I could have another attempt at defeating them. Yes, Half-Life is plagued with the quick-save.

But what about the novices among us? Those that can’t kill a head crab without blowing themselves up, or who can’t defeat Xan on the easiest setting. Without the quick-save to aid them, these ones could be totally stuck in the river of PC gaming without a paddle. But then if games are designed for novices, the veterans won’t be tested and so won’t really enjoy them. Its a vicious circle.

Thankfully, game developers have put specific thought to this matter, and so evolve games like Max Payne. Max Payne is a prime example of how to balance the dreaded quick-save. On the Fugitive setting there are unlimited quick-saves, but the harder difficulty you choose, the less saves you get. When you reach New York Minute there are no saves, and you also have a time limit.

I think the save method implemented in Max Payne is what we will see in the future of games; novices and old hands alike are fully catered for. And on the harder difficulty levels you still experience the thrill and tenseness of knowing that you only have x amount of saves to reach the end of the level.

I think the quick-save will survive, but limited strictly so as to bring the fun and enjoyability back into gaming.

Anybody disagree with me?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.