GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PAL vs. USA version"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 29/01/02 at 15:02
Regular
I live in the USA and I found your website and found some really cool games that you couldn't get over here. I ordered the world class snooker 2002. I was really bumming when I got it and it wouldn't play.

What I want to know is; If I bought a PAL version of the console, will it work in the USA? Are USA TV's SCART compatible? Will I need a voltage converter for the console to plug it in?

There are a number of games I would really like to try, Rugby and the new Cricket games look like alot of fun.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks
Tue 29/01/02 at 15:02
I live in the USA and I found your website and found some really cool games that you couldn't get over here. I ordered the world class snooker 2002. I was really bumming when I got it and it wouldn't play.

What I want to know is; If I bought a PAL version of the console, will it work in the USA? Are USA TV's SCART compatible? Will I need a voltage converter for the console to plug it in?

There are a number of games I would really like to try, Rugby and the new Cricket games look like alot of fun.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks
Tue 29/01/02 at 15:09
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
I have no idea. Why not try asking the SR staff by posting in the customer service forum, they may be able to help.
Tue 29/01/02 at 15:14
"High polygon count"
swifty wrote:
> What I want to know is; If I bought a PAL version of the
> console, will it work in the USA? Are USA TV's
> SCART compatible?

I don't believe US TV's are SCART compatible - another name for SCART is "Euro AV" - it's a European standard. You could probably connect using the S-Video lead, though, providing your TV has an S-Video connector - and the picture quality is almost as good as RGB SCART.

> Will I need a voltage converter for the console to plug it
> in?

You will definitely need a voltage converter, or the PS2 will go pop.
Tue 29/01/02 at 15:24
You're American, and you want to play cricket?!?!?

:-)
Tue 29/01/02 at 16:19
take the great wookie mans advise :)
Tue 29/01/02 at 17:30
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
and what's wrong with cricket ?
Tue 29/01/02 at 17:35
Regular
American wanting to play our games?!

Always a first for everything...
Tue 29/01/02 at 17:41
Regular
"facepartyid prodigy"
best idea to play imports is a decent modchip, however if u get a uk ps2 it prob will play fine on your tv and that, although powerwise u might have trouble as uk voltage is much higher than your us one
Tue 29/01/02 at 18:00
Regular
"allardini's tagline"
Yay! An american who likes cricket! Unless he's an english person who bought a NTSC tv by accident and is too ashamed to admit his stupidity. HMmmmmmm.....! IT'S SHANEO!
Tue 29/01/02 at 18:12
Regular
"Maximum Homerdrive"
most american tv's won't do PAL there normaly NTSC only as most yanks are like "we're the best so why use another country's system" the UK has a lot of PAL/NTSC combined sets so your best to check that your TV will support PAL

you might have a prob with power as we use a higher voltage (240V) and the US uses 110v

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.