GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What's the appeal with the Xbox?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 29/01/02 at 11:29
Regular
You may think that this is a stupid place to ask such a question, but I've noticed that some people are thinking of trading in PS2's for Xbox's or buying a second console, an Xbox, and I was wondering, if you already own a PS2, what would make you want to replace it with an Xbox?

Is there some genre that isn't catered for on the PS2, that the Xbox will provide?

Do you see the Xbox as being superior?

From what I've seen, the two consoles seem to be marketed towards the same audience, and as such, if you've already got a PS2, why would you want an Xbox?

Am I wrong to assume that both consoles will have similar types of games?
Tue 29/01/02 at 17:55
Regular
"Bah"
i did trade my origional PS in for a N64 and £60 cashback - pretty good, then i sold the N64 and ut the cash towards my PS2. Still cant find somewhere cheat to buy GT3 thou!!!
MM
Tue 29/01/02 at 17:53
Regular
"allardini's tagline"
I never trade consoles for new ones. But i do buy new ones :D
Tue 29/01/02 at 17:50
Regular
"Bah"
Or†ega wrote:
> I dont think the PS2 has any good FPS games. A few here and there, Half-life and
> Red Faction...but nothing special.

Microsoft will have loads. Halo, Return
> to castle wolfenstien, and Medal of Honour to name a few...

Has loads of
> stuff coming out on PS2, nothing seems to stay exclusive to Sony these days.
> Also a lot of X-box games will be superior. Max payne is one i can think of,
> thanks to the larger storage capacity of the X-box you can save your game
> anytime during a level. Somthin you cant do on the PS2 version.

Only problem
> i got with X-box is its size.

Well.....PS2 has MOH:Frontline coming soon and already has agent under fire which is a great game - also the PS2is really starting to produce some quality games now
MM
Tue 29/01/02 at 17:34
Regular
Oh and for the first time ever you'll be able to play Championship manager without the need of a PC :)

Whats with all these different versions of Moh?

PS2 seems to be getting Frontline and fighter command...while X Box is getting Allied assault(coming out for PC next month).
Tue 29/01/02 at 17:30
Regular
Anyone thiking of getting a GBA could be even more tempted now. The price of the console is expected to fall to £60 on February 1st :)

Game prices might fall as well:)
Tue 29/01/02 at 16:26
Regular
"360: swfcman"
devo wrote:

Is anyone contemplating getting another 'next gen'
> console thinking about also getting a GBA?

Well it was my brothers Birthday today and he got a GBA so i have the best of the hand helds in my home too! :D
Tue 29/01/02 at 16:11
If I buy another console it would have to be the gamecube because of its different type of games plus I Dont like the look of the xbox and its exclusives are really my cup of tea I might pre order a game cube hmmm

P.S I have never traded in a console in my life I still have my mega drive and master system my phillips cd-i playstation dreamcast and ps2

btw I loved the dreamcast
Tue 29/01/02 at 15:54
And just because someone is intending to get a second (or third) console, doesn't automatically mean they are disappointed with what they've got already. It just means more choice.

Is anyone contemplating getting another 'next gen' console thinking about also getting a GBA?
Tue 29/01/02 at 15:40
Regular
"360: swfcman"
To be honest i have no real intention of getting an X-box, i still feel that the PS2 has offered me more than that, and so far i am very pleased with the games i have got and looking forward to the many more that i want. The game genres are pritty similar between the two, both seem to go for a more serious type of genre with more adventure games out than platformers, but there are some. The only place i see X-box with a better genre has to be the first person shooter, but personally i dont like those type of games so its not really bothered me.

If i was to get a second console it would have to be the GC, it would be great to play as some of the characters again that got me into gaming, and there are many different platformer games that come out.

But for now im more than pleased with my PS2 thanks very much.
Tue 29/01/02 at 12:59
Regular
"gametag = viperfire"
The only game I want for Xbox is Halo, but as this is coming out on PC I am going to get the PC version and wait for a UK GameCube.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.