GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What's the appeal with the Xbox?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 29/01/02 at 11:29
Regular
You may think that this is a stupid place to ask such a question, but I've noticed that some people are thinking of trading in PS2's for Xbox's or buying a second console, an Xbox, and I was wondering, if you already own a PS2, what would make you want to replace it with an Xbox?

Is there some genre that isn't catered for on the PS2, that the Xbox will provide?

Do you see the Xbox as being superior?

From what I've seen, the two consoles seem to be marketed towards the same audience, and as such, if you've already got a PS2, why would you want an Xbox?

Am I wrong to assume that both consoles will have similar types of games?
Tue 29/01/02 at 11:29
Regular
"not dead"
You may think that this is a stupid place to ask such a question, but I've noticed that some people are thinking of trading in PS2's for Xbox's or buying a second console, an Xbox, and I was wondering, if you already own a PS2, what would make you want to replace it with an Xbox?

Is there some genre that isn't catered for on the PS2, that the Xbox will provide?

Do you see the Xbox as being superior?

From what I've seen, the two consoles seem to be marketed towards the same audience, and as such, if you've already got a PS2, why would you want an Xbox?

Am I wrong to assume that both consoles will have similar types of games?
Tue 29/01/02 at 11:41
Regular
I dont think the PS2 has any good FPS games. A few here and there, Half-life and Red Faction...but nothing special.

Microsoft will have loads. Halo, Return to castle wolfenstien, and Medal of Honour to name a few...

Has loads of stuff coming out on PS2, nothing seems to stay exclusive to Sony these days. Also a lot of X-box games will be superior. Max payne is one i can think of, thanks to the larger storage capacity of the X-box you can save your game anytime during a level. Somthin you cant do on the PS2 version.

Only problem i got with X-box is its size.
Tue 29/01/02 at 11:44
Regular
"facepartyid prodigy"
Xbox is very big, and heavy, but this is semi understandable when you consider its components.

As for wether id buy one i already have, but i will still keep for ps2 for a while, although it may eventually get replaced with a uk gamecube, depending on how Nintendo treats the uk market this time around.
Tue 29/01/02 at 11:46
"High polygon count"
Wolfenstein and MoH are also coming to PS2.
Tue 29/01/02 at 11:47
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
Meka Dragon wrote:
> You may think that this is a stupid place to ask such a question, but I've
> noticed that some people are thinking of trading in PS2's for Xbox's or buying a
> second console, an Xbox, and I was wondering, if you already own a PS2, what
> would make you want to replace it with an Xbox?

Is there some genre that
> isn't catered for on the PS2, that the Xbox will provide?

Do you see the Xbox
> as being superior?

From what I've seen, the two consoles seem to be marketed
> towards the same audience, and as such, if you've already got a PS2, why would
> you want an Xbox?

Am I wrong to assume that both consoles will have similar
> types of games?

I want an XBox because I'm greedy. I already have a PS2 and a Gamecube. Want an XBox now :)

Seriously though, I was attracted to the titles that the XBox is launching with. Quite impressive. Not to mention titles in the pipeline.

Quite looking forward to Jet Set Radio Future and Halo myself.
Tue 29/01/02 at 12:47
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
I have a PS2 and have pre-ordered an X-Box due to the games. Halo, Project Gothem, Dead Or Alive 3, Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Jet Set Radio Future e.t.c are all X-Box exclusives and I want to play them.

Iam also going to get a GC due to there being exclusive games on there that I want to play.
Tue 29/01/02 at 12:48
Regular
IF I had the money I would get an XBox and a GC to go with my DC and PS2.

But I'm poor, and can't afford it.

So I'll probably go for a GC as the XBox is pretty similar to my PS2 in terms of game genres.
Tue 29/01/02 at 12:59
Regular
"gametag = viperfire"
The only game I want for Xbox is Halo, but as this is coming out on PC I am going to get the PC version and wait for a UK GameCube.
Tue 29/01/02 at 15:40
Regular
"360: swfcman"
To be honest i have no real intention of getting an X-box, i still feel that the PS2 has offered me more than that, and so far i am very pleased with the games i have got and looking forward to the many more that i want. The game genres are pritty similar between the two, both seem to go for a more serious type of genre with more adventure games out than platformers, but there are some. The only place i see X-box with a better genre has to be the first person shooter, but personally i dont like those type of games so its not really bothered me.

If i was to get a second console it would have to be the GC, it would be great to play as some of the characters again that got me into gaming, and there are many different platformer games that come out.

But for now im more than pleased with my PS2 thanks very much.
Tue 29/01/02 at 15:54
And just because someone is intending to get a second (or third) console, doesn't automatically mean they are disappointed with what they've got already. It just means more choice.

Is anyone contemplating getting another 'next gen' console thinking about also getting a GBA?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.