GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Edge 107 Review Scores"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 29/01/02 at 09:41
Regular
Here are the latest scores from the recent issue of Edge;

Final Fantasy X (PS2) 6/10
Super Mario Advance 2 (GBA) 8/10
Medal of Honour: Allied Assault (PC) 7/10
Frequency (PS2) 8/10
Maximo (PS2) 7/10
Wipeout Fusion (PS2) 5/10
MotoGP2 (PS2) 6/10
Azurik: Rise of Perathia (XBox) 3/10
Vampire Night (PS2) 5/10
Tekken Advance (GBA) 7/10
Sonic Advance (GBA) 7/10
Kabuki Warriors (XBox) 1/10
Tue 29/01/02 at 11:59
I pre date the 'ranking' system as well, but as some point everyone was new to the site. You know what I mean....

Ginger's point about renting is a good one though. After all, no two people like the same games. Unless there is a sinister government cloning conspiracy going on that I don't know about ;-).
Tue 29/01/02 at 11:51
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
Y'see having owned Super Smash Bros' Melee I thought Edge's score was spot-on to be honest.

I can't honestly sit here and say I play it all that much. It bores me to death.
Tue 29/01/02 at 11:47
Yeah, the results are justified. Previously, I thought that Smash Bros. Melee deserved more - but having more time to think about it, their score is correct. THe game is indeed competent. Not too sure about Halo being revolutionary though, but then I haven't played it so I wouldn't know.
Tue 29/01/02 at 11:41
Regular
"facepartyid prodigy"
Those Edge scores are very good for general use.

Most people won't like the slow pace of final fantasy games, people either seem to lvoe em or hate em, as for wipeout fusion, u could see from the demo's its not much more that wipeout 3 with better graphics, and the edge reviewers are prob getting sick of similar ps2 updates using more or less the same game but with improved graphics.

Its good to see that they are giving the gameboy advance a fair go, the games on that system i have found quite impressive, especially Tekken for anyone who hasn't seen it you will be very surprised by the quality of graphics.

Maximo should of prob of got a lower score, but then again i suppose it might have good pick up and play value.

The Xbox reviews are also superb, as they have used this issue to show how poor some of the xbox games are, which is a good idea as they have given recent other xbox games high scores (such as HALo)

Good topic by the way!
Tue 29/01/02 at 11:38
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
devo wrote:
> SONICRAV wrote:
>

BEFORE people rant about these scores (some newbies
> will do any second), let me remind yo how EDGE's scoring works.

Why should a
> newbie rant about these scores? Everyone who posts on this site was a newbie
> originally. Those sort of comments will just put new posters off.

i wasn't...

I predate the "rating" system... and the staff... and the notables... check out my stats ;)

But fair comment about the newbies.. I should have replaced the words with "idiot"... after all, there are some regulars like that..

Sonic
Tue 29/01/02 at 11:33
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
Every person has a fvourite type of game etc, wether they work for Edge or OPS2M that type of game etc will always get a higher score, just think, for the cost of a magazine you could go to your local Blockbuster rent the game and review it yourself.
Tue 29/01/02 at 11:29
Regular
"I won the turnips!!"
Look, just read what ===SONICRAV---> wrote:

BEFORE people rant about these scores (some newbies will do any second), let me remind yo how EDGE's scoring works.

5/10 is an average game. In theory, exaclty half of games released should be above this score, and half below...
> which is how edge judges it. 5/10 does not mean the game is at all bad... just that it's a rehash of old ideas, adding nothing new to the genre. Nothing
> particuarly bad, nothing particuarly new.

And then 10/10 is an almost unheard of score, meaning that you have gaming perfection- games that push all the
> boundries- sight, sound, plot, gameplay. Only a handful of games have ever done this: Halo, Zelda OOT, Mario, Goldeneye, and rightly so. If you give 90% to
> every games (NOM!), then the score becomes meaningless.

Sonic

---------

Exactly.
Tue 29/01/02 at 11:29
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
Sonicrav, remember you were a newbie once, it must be wonderful to know everything now ?
Tue 29/01/02 at 11:22
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Scores mean nothing, ok, a game that gets a very low score might be rubbish, but am i going to not get Smash Bros Melee now that Edge gave it 6/10?? I think not.
They only gave MGS2 8/10 but who cares? I know that it looks amazing, & having recently played the demo for the first time, i think it deserves a 10 just for that.
I'll still get FFX no matter what Edge say, because they always find tiny faults with every game.
Tue 29/01/02 at 10:51
Regular
"I won the turnips!!"
TotalGames.net ("Play" mag and others) have given two games 98% in about 2 months - GTA3 and Halo.

Aswell as giving every X-Box launch game higher than 88%!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.