GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gamecube still way off"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 28/01/02 at 13:03
Regular
May 3rd is launch date if you didn't know, being a former Ninty I can only laugh, launching so long after PS2 and Xbox they don't stand a chance, the demo's I have seem are OK but none make you want to go out and buy one right this minute (even if you could).
I think Nintendo are in their own dream world thinking anything with a Ninty badge on will sell by the bucket load.
By May we will have MGS2 and hopefully FF10 (if ever there was an incentive for Sony to get this out ASAP this must be it), as well as many other great games.
Gamecube RIP already ?
The PS2 & Xbox go from strength to strength without even doing anything.
Well Done Nintendo.
Mon 28/01/02 at 13:03
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
May 3rd is launch date if you didn't know, being a former Ninty I can only laugh, launching so long after PS2 and Xbox they don't stand a chance, the demo's I have seem are OK but none make you want to go out and buy one right this minute (even if you could).
I think Nintendo are in their own dream world thinking anything with a Ninty badge on will sell by the bucket load.
By May we will have MGS2 and hopefully FF10 (if ever there was an incentive for Sony to get this out ASAP this must be it), as well as many other great games.
Gamecube RIP already ?
The PS2 & Xbox go from strength to strength without even doing anything.
Well Done Nintendo.
Mon 28/01/02 at 16:44
Yea but the price is appealing I might preorder one I dunno depends has it been a success in the states and Japan??
Mon 28/01/02 at 16:50
Regular
"es argh"
But with such a low price something has got to be wrong with it
Mon 28/01/02 at 16:53
Regular
"  "
surely they won't make much profit from it......surely...
Mon 28/01/02 at 16:59
Regular
"facepartyid prodigy"
Gamecube is cheap as it has about half of the things that xbox and ps2 have in regards of dvd. The dvd aspects of ps2 and xbox have added a lot to the cost and hardware, Nintendo will still do ok though as there popular with the kids and wil have a nice cheap console
Mon 28/01/02 at 21:23
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
ginger, your views are getting more and more annoying...

You haven't even explored the issue to any depth. Yes, the GC is releasing late, but need this be a bad thing? The PS2 is getting dated in some peoples' minds anyway.

On top of this, the GC is NOT aimed at the Ps2 audience. It is aimed at hardcore gamers, children, and family gamers- something that has accounted for the sell-out US sales.

On top of that, the price is certainly right- people don't have a problem buying a £150 "toy" for their kids, and intelligent gamers will seriously consider getting a second console. (Although most hardcore gamers will be getting the GC anyway due to the firstparty Nintendo games).

It seems to me that your somehow afraid that the GC might actually pose a challenege to the PS2 (which it won't for the reasons above), and that you're trying to convince yourself of it.

Sonic
Mon 28/01/02 at 22:11
Regular
"360: swfcman"
I would certainly not say that the GC is RIP already. Remember that Nintendo do have a large user base and so there are still plenty of people ready and waiting for it to hit the shores of the UK.

Ok, i agree the demos so far do not appeal to me but there do look like good games, many better than the first batch of games we got. But i take your point, with the PS2 having so many great games out now many nintys have gone for the PS2 instead.

Still, GC will do well in my opinion.
Mon 28/01/02 at 22:20
Regular
"You Bum!!"
I dont think that we should put the Gaemcube down before it has even been released. As Pro said there are loads of people who liked the N64 and these people will find the Gamecube appealing to them.

In my opinion N64 had a totally different target audience to the PS1 and other consoles. Gamecube is here to make sure that people do not think of Nintendo as a company who produces "kiddy" games anymore but unfortunately just like with "SKODA" it will be hard to get some people to change their minds.

I think that the price tag will appeal to many people, since it is easy on your pocket and Gamecube still offers a lot of good games, a DVD playback option etc. As I said I dont think we should judge it as yet. Even though with the PS2 about to get another price cut soon, it is going to be hard for the new Nintendo child
Mon 28/01/02 at 22:36
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
Prehaps I was harsh, everyone has an opinion. I remember paying 310 pound for my N64 & Mario on launch day, then being expected to pay high prices for Nintendo's mistake of sticking with cartridges. 45 pound for a game three/four years ago was unheard of until the N64 came along.
Lets just say I won't be buying a Gamecube and leave it at that.
Goodbye.
Mon 28/01/02 at 23:54
Regular
www.g1nger.net wrote:
> 45 pound for a game three/four
> years ago was unheard of until the N64 came along.

Not really, SNES still had some really expensive games. Donkey Kong Country was £60 in some places when it first came out.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.