GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gamespy - Tell me how it's done."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 12/01/03 at 21:39
Regular
Yep, Xbox live does look pretty neat with it's communications and organisation, but it's out of the question in this case because:

a) My friend hasn't ordered a kit and doesn't want to right now
b) We want to play Halo.

So tell me, how to we play through Gamespy?

My friend has an Xbox with Halo (other games too but they don't matter for the minute), four controllers and a broadband connection.
I'm guessing that I need an ethernet cable and that they need some sort of network card (they got their PC within the last 2 years so it might've been standard when they bought it).

Anything else?

How do we log into Gamespy?
Sun 12/01/03 at 21:39
Regular
Yep, Xbox live does look pretty neat with it's communications and organisation, but it's out of the question in this case because:

a) My friend hasn't ordered a kit and doesn't want to right now
b) We want to play Halo.

So tell me, how to we play through Gamespy?

My friend has an Xbox with Halo (other games too but they don't matter for the minute), four controllers and a broadband connection.
I'm guessing that I need an ethernet cable and that they need some sort of network card (they got their PC within the last 2 years so it might've been standard when they bought it).

Anything else?

How do we log into Gamespy?
Sun 12/01/03 at 21:44
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
Don't use gamespy. It's rubbish - well it was when I tried it.

Xbconnect (www.xbconnect.com) is a lot more reliable, and doesn't require you to install as much crap.

Other than that, if you go on the xbconnect site, it'll tell you exactly what you need. You basically need your Xbox conencted to the PC with a network card and a bit of crossover cable, but the site will explain it in more detail, including what ports you will need to open on your firewall, and any windows settings you may need.

It also has a forum there with people who will be able to help you with any problems.

Also, don't let them fool you into buying the "Xbconenct pro" with added features. They don't look worth the money at all.
Sun 12/01/03 at 21:50
Regular
Well I just checked Gamespy.

Apparently, you need 128kb bandwith PER player...
So much for those "4 player splitscreen Vs 4-8 other people" games I was hoping for...

I'll take a look at Xbconnect.
Thanks. :-)
Sun 12/01/03 at 21:55
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
I think it's the same for xbconnect. You also need 128kbs upload per player for that.
Sun 12/01/03 at 21:56
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
Having said that, there's nothing to stop you trying 4 players on one box and seeing if it works anyway.

That figure might have been quoted in order to keep them safe from people complaining about lag.
Sun 12/01/03 at 21:59
Regular
I'll have to check what my friend has in terms of connectionm.

We'll probably only be going 3 player, but on Gamespy, it was 128Kb per playing including online players, or wasn't it?
Sun 12/01/03 at 22:28
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Dont bother with either Gamespy or XBconnect. They are so laggy. I had just got Broadband in June last year and got a network card to play Halo online. I think I tried about 2 or 3 games and stopped because it was so bad. Its was hard to get a game going and once it started it was laggy. Just get XBox Live, I know you cant play Halo on it, but its a billion times better than Gamespy or XBconnect.
Sun 12/01/03 at 22:34
Regular
My friend won't get Xbox live for the moment.
Halo through Xb connect was just a quick fix really.

If you can only have up to four players (including splitscreen) then there's probably no point.

Having said that, people in the forums at xbconnect are saying that 128kb per box is alright, so splitscreen shouldn't be a problem...
Sun 12/01/03 at 22:39
Regular
Talking of Xbox live, does anyone know how Unreal Championship handles 4 player splitscreen across live?
Sun 12/01/03 at 22:52
Regular
On a brighter note, people in the Xbconnect forums say that 128Kb per box is fine.

4 player splitscreen it will be. :-)

Won't be perfect, but will be close enough until Halo 2 rolls into town (and seeing as that's being designed for Xbox live, they'd BETTER do it properly.)

Now tell me about this crossover cable...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.