GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gamespy - Tell me how it's done."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 12/01/03 at 21:39
Regular
Yep, Xbox live does look pretty neat with it's communications and organisation, but it's out of the question in this case because:

a) My friend hasn't ordered a kit and doesn't want to right now
b) We want to play Halo.

So tell me, how to we play through Gamespy?

My friend has an Xbox with Halo (other games too but they don't matter for the minute), four controllers and a broadband connection.
I'm guessing that I need an ethernet cable and that they need some sort of network card (they got their PC within the last 2 years so it might've been standard when they bought it).

Anything else?

How do we log into Gamespy?
Wed 15/01/03 at 20:37
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
Crossover cables strafex, ethernet crossover cables. :P
Wed 15/01/03 at 10:16
Regular
The 6th form study room at my school has a hub and ethernet cables that no one will miss during the weekend...

PERFECT! ;-)
Tue 14/01/03 at 21:55
Regular
Tóm wrote:
> You can put another network card in if you need to. That's what I did
> before I got a hub to connect it to the old style network :-)
>
> I really need to update these things...

Ah... that's where things get complicated...

First I'd need to get a network card, then I'd need to know how to fix it, then I'd have to plead with my friends dad to let me tamper with their PC to wire it up to a network...

Wouldn't go down to well.! :-D

If the worst comes to the worst then I'll scrounge an old hub off school and use that to link up the ethernet wires.
I think that was a set-up option on xbconnect...
Tue 14/01/03 at 17:20
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Strafex wrote:
> Thanks Adrian, I've been asking that for ages! :-)
>
> Does the extra players slow the game down with lag at all?

I dont know as I just created a game and put it as 3 players on my screen. I have played 2 players with no lag, but havent played a 3 player game. To be honest there shouldnt be any lag as you hardly use any bandwidth when playing on XBox Live. The only times you do actually use lots of bandwidth is when you host a game, but if the players are on your system then nothings going over the net.
Tue 14/01/03 at 16:34
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
Strafex wrote:
> The only problem is that if my friend's broadband goes through the
> network card, I'll have nowhere to plug the Xbox in...

You can put another network card in if you need to. That's what I did before I got a hub to connect it to the old style network :-)

I really need to update these things...
Tue 14/01/03 at 12:19
Regular
Thanks Adrian, I've been asking that for ages! :-)

Does the extra players slow the game down with lag at all?

And thanks to Mantis too. I'll just pick up a standard one from some PC shop. Ought to be cheaper than an Xbox branded one.
The only problem is that if my friend's broadband goes through the network card, I'll have nowhere to plug the Xbox in...
Mon 13/01/03 at 21:35
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
Strafex- About the Ethernet Crossover cable.

Basically its the exact same cable as the Xbox System Link Cable, so if your friend has one of those it'll do the job. If not, the unofficial one I got from GAME was only £6- thats 2 metres long.

If your mates PC and Xbox are further apart, just ask in PC world, Dixons, currys, whereever and they should do Ethernet Crossover cables at diferent Lengths. Have no idea about their prices however.

And make sure you ask for a ethernet crossover cable and not just a ethernet. They're different apparantly.
Mon 13/01/03 at 19:28
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
~X The Master X~ wrote:
> Strafex wrote:
> Talking of Xbox live, does anyone know how Unreal Championship
> handles
> 4 player splitscreen across live?
>
>
> nope think it's 1 player per x box once using live :(

Only Ghost Recon and Whacked are 1 players. Unreal and MotoGP are 4 players and MechAssault is 2 players.
Mon 13/01/03 at 19:27
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Strafex wrote:
> Somebody here tried 2 and it worked (Silent I think), but no one has
> tried 4 players yet.

I've had 3 players online with Unreal, 4 players will work.
Mon 13/01/03 at 18:50
Regular
er-no wrote:
> I wonder if they will make Halo II anywhere near as good as the
> original.
>
> I wonder...

*Peers into the sky, Scratching beard*

I wonder...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.