GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"State of Emergency, sick but sweet!"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 27/01/02 at 03:18
Regular
Ok, I don't know much about this game but the way I see it Rockstar seem to have been easing us into what it has to offer.

First, they gave us brought us Max Payne: linear, but fantastic plot and a good head of violence. Then they gave us GTA3: muchos violence, interesting twisty plot, but not at all linear - complete the missions in a variety of ways, or sack then off and blow stuff up! Grand!

Now they're bringing us State of Emergency which, from what I've heard seems to pour all the emphasis on violence and throws in a bit of plot for fun... however vague it may be!
Now, we thought GTA3 would bring controversy, I mean - a game where it is entirely possible to drag an old lady from her vehicle and kick her in the crotch until she drops her pension and needs a body bag, if one so wishes, was bound to kick up some fuss, in fact, a lot of fuss. However, thats not all that game would do. It would also: take some beating (no pun intended).

Well, just when you thought "eep! kicking old ladies to death! how can a game get more sick than that?". S.O.E seeks to answer that question; imagine a world much like that of Liberty City... only were riots are the order of the day, rather than just bog standard crime.
Ok, now place the same, generic old lady, on the floor in front of you. Hmmm.... she needs a good kicking you'll think. So there you are slamming a foot into the old dears gut. "Hang on, how is this any different to GTA3?" I hear you cry. Well, imagine that the foot doing the slamming, while being controlled by your character, doesn't actually belong to your character. Imagine it belongs to the random bystander you just tore it off and left to bleed to death!

Yup, apparently, this course of action is at your disposal in State of Emergency. Maybe this doesn't crumble your cookies, I don't know, but I think it sounds like fun!
Besides, it'll keep me from doing it in the real world.

Either way, ladies and gentlemen, we have our "most contraversial game of 2002"! And only a couple of weeks away.

Perfect timing, seeing as even we "the working gamer" who would love to be "hardcore" but have too much stuff to get in their way, will be getting round to clearing GTA3 by now and need something to quash those violent urges that could see us back out on the streets sniffing glue and pounding hippies....
But no, Rockstar see to it that we're safe in our houses playing computer games... AGAIN.

Yay Rockstar games! Rockstar for President and such favourable banter!

Mmmm.... limb removal.

I'm going to bed.
Wed 30/01/02 at 16:13
Regular
I think it has moved to the 15th now.
Wed 30/01/02 at 16:07
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Its out 8th Feb isnt it? I wont buy it, but i'll think i'll try and rent it that weekend or in the week.
Wed 30/01/02 at 13:49
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
This game is a gift to the mumblies that throw rocks at police during demonstrations.

If they can just wash their stupid white-dreads to see long enough and earn some money, they'd love this game.
Wed 30/01/02 at 13:41
Regular
There is a review in the latest edition of PSW which called it the sickess game ever, also play.com says

"There are four expansive, destructible districts with at least 30 missions apiece
Play as 1 of 5 different Resistance agents, fighting to overthrow the ATO
Fully interactive environments. Hit everybody! Smash everything! Wrecking your surroundings by looting stores and bombing cars is a key aspect of the game
Seek and destroy with traditional weapons (grenades, rockets, shotguns, machine guns, flamethrowers & petrol bombs) and improvised instruments of pain (bricks, benches, trashcans, dismembered body parts)
The game's AI gives the characters uncanny intelligence and believability. Each of the city's characters behave in their own particular way and react to events depending on their allegiance
Complete missions in Progressive Mode or just roam the streets causing mayhem in Freeplay Mode
Helpless citizens driven by a sophisticated virtual sensing system react realistically to violence by cowering, running away, or calling to the nearest Peacekeeper for help

Review

State of Emergency is an urban riot game set in the near future, where the oppressive American Trade Organization (ATO) has declared a State of Emergency. State authorities are clamping down on organized resistance and restricting movement across the City to counter the spread of revolt. It is up to you to smash up everything and everyone in order to destabilize the ATO. Use any item available to begin fighting, including pipes, bricks and benches - even dismembered body parts. This is the first game ever to let you participate in relentless street combat with over 100 people on screen at once! State of Emergency is a game for those who have always wondered what it's like to be armed and dangerous in a city gone out of control..."
Wed 30/01/02 at 13:34
Does anyone now where i can read a review for this game as i cant find any apart from some customer reviews and they just look like previews. does anyone have an idea how big this game is cos i dont like games that dont last very long.
Tue 29/01/02 at 11:35
Regular
"facepartyid prodigy"
this is prob true, it seems that all ps2 games are being slowly put back to attack the xbox release, i guess Xbox really has the guys + gals at sony worried.

Either that or their worried if they realise too near metal gear solid 2 it will effect sales dramitically, which might be a more correct interpretation of the put back
Mon 28/01/02 at 20:45
Regular
"  "
Mattyboy wrote:
> As far as I know it will be released on the 15th!!

dam...another game put back :(
Mon 28/01/02 at 20:29
Your Honour wrote:
> Remedy Entertainment did Max PAyne, not Rockstar.

Just thought I'd point that
> out.

Rockstar published the game, hence "brought us". But nevermind I know what you meant.

Next time you question one of my posts you'll have my army of badgers to contend with.

I've given you fair warning.
Mon 28/01/02 at 18:53
Regular
"Whatever!"
As far as I know it will be released on the 15th!!
Mon 28/01/02 at 18:50
Regular
"  "
when the release...some say 8th feb some say 15th feb.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.