GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Cutscenes and more ranting"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 26/01/02 at 22:22
Regular
One thing I HATE about games now is that graphics are actually getting really good.

Why does this annoy me? Well, it means that rather than using a brilliantly crafted cut scene in full FMV glory, developers simply use in game graphics to depict important parts of the game... which just defies the point...

Many games nowadays use the insentive of advancing the plot as a reason for completing a level. You want to see what comes next in the game, so you complete the level to do it. In the past, on consoles like the PSX, developers used lucious FMV sequences to depict superb facial expressions and emotions in characters. They could use these to have some of the most cinematic scenes I have ever seen- Code: Veronica's intro is as spectacular as any hollywood blockbuster.

By using mere in game graphics, not only can you portray the emotions characters feel, but the actual amount of things characters can do is limitted. This inherantly removes one of gaming's greatest rewards.

Oh, and that's not the only thing that annoys me. After all, Zelda OOT had great cut scenes, even though they were all in game graphics. But so many developers simply aren't creative with their cut scenes. When Link completes the triforce and opens the gate to the future: one of the most awesome scenes in any games. Compare this to the second rate, lame cut scenes involving voices so inaudible that they games has no option to turn off sub-titles.

Oh, and that's another thing I want to rant on about. Voices in cut scenes are SO BAD. So bad that games always have subtitles. From the mumbling in House of the Dead, to the slurs of Devil May Cry (although that's mostly ok), you just focus your attention on the text... not the substandard graphical cut scenes. Perhaps that's the reason for the poor sound?

Anyway, here ends my rant... feel free to expres yourself too!

Sonic
Mon 28/01/02 at 10:17
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Strafex wrote:
>And quite rightly so!
A Sega Saturn could've pulled off
> FMV of a similar quality...

errr... the Saturn could actually do anything a PSX could... and some more (better reflexions). The only reason you don't see this so often is because developing for the Saturn was so hard that only Sega and Capcom really pushed the console to this limit.

Sonic
Mon 28/01/02 at 09:19
Regular
Grix Thraves wrote:
> I did? Cool.

Remember? That FMV fiasco topic.
The one that caused controversy when some crazed Sony fan "fatty boy snoochies" made a topic saying

"Don't reward the biased like Grix. Reward good writers like Dan, Ant and Arty", a topic that ended up with over 200 replies which, in the day when the oldest post was shown first and you'd have to sift through a several pages to get to the newest one, was VERY big...

SURELY you remember that!
Sun 27/01/02 at 23:31
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Grix Thraves wrote:
> Turbonutter, for the first time since... I can't remember, I completely and
> utterly agree.

Hang on, I've got a file somewhere...
Sun 27/01/02 at 22:36
Regular
I did? Cool.
Sun 27/01/02 at 22:25
Regular
Some cut scene are essential, some are annoying, others are there just to look nice and impress those stupid casual mainstreamers.

Story led games like Final Fantasy, Resident Evil and Zelda worked a treat with cutscenes be they FMV or in-game-graphics.

Conker's bad Fur day's cutscenes were also great because they added to the game's humour and character (except for that Vampire one which went on, and on, and on, and on and had me yelling: 'I JUST WANNA PLAY THE GAME' ;-) ).

But for games like Perfect Dark or other action-and-gameplay-rather-than-story-based games, the cutscenes should be skippable, and unessential.
They're the sort of thing you watch once, and then never want to see again.

Grix won a game for telling Sony off for using FMV for PS2 demo footage.
And quite rightly so!
A Sega Saturn could've pulled off FMV of a similar quality...
Sun 27/01/02 at 22:05
Regular
That's good. Well done. FMV sucks.
Sun 27/01/02 at 21:55
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Grix Thraves wrote:
> Turbonutter, for the first time since... I can't remember, I completely and
> utterly agree.

Adding only that FMV is the spawn of satan and is only liked
> by simple minded fools.

My God... noooooooooooo!

Oh, and about the watching filsm thing, Grix... I just watched Silence of the Lambs for the first time, and on Friday me and some friends sat in a cinema for over 6 hours straight, watching Mullholland Drive followed by Appocolypse Now Redux :)

Sonic
Sun 27/01/02 at 16:02
Regular
Turbonutter, for the first time since... I can't remember, I completely and utterly agree.

Adding only that FMV is the spawn of satan and is only liked by simple minded fools.
Sun 27/01/02 at 15:38
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
===SONICRAV---> wrote:
> Ahhh... but the detail you get in the FMV sequence of an
> island blowing up is FAR FAR more impressive than with ingame
> graphics.

The rendered sequences in SH2 are much, much more impressive than the CGI parts, because you know that your little beast is doing it. CGI is just rendered over a couple of hours by souped-up Macs, it's never impressive.
Sun 27/01/02 at 15:34
Regular
===SONICRAV---> wrote:
"Ahhh... but the detail you get in the FMV sequence of an island blowing up is FAR FAR more impressive than with ingame graphics."

GO WATCH A FUNNING FILM IF YOU WANT TO WATCH A FUNNING FILM. GAMES ARE NOT FILMS.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.