GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Animal Crossed"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Animal Crossing'.
Tue 14/01/03 at 17:11
Regular
I'm an idiot. A complete and utter idiot.

Why?

Simple, I'm missing a game that I've never played before.

I'm actually upset about Animal Crossing not getting a European release.

It all started back in about August when I claimed Animal Crossing (Or Animal Forest + as it used to be called) for a review I won GAD for. Ever since then I've been eagerly awaiting the arrival of this game. Every preview, NTSC review or just new information about the game I'd read about five times over because I wanted it so, so much, and I still do today.

You see, Animal Crossing was a damn special creation. Forget Mario, dump Zelda and ditch Samus. I didn't care about any of their adventures, I wanted Animal Crossing, I want Animal Crossing. Think I'm mad? Or think that this game has gotta be pretty good to make me want it so much.

What was most promising for me was that the game looked like an old N64 game. As many of you may know, I place Gameplay way above graphics and this seemed to be the embodiment of my perfect game. It seemed to me that Nintendo said: "Forget about graphics, we want this to be the most playable game ever!" For me, this is the kind of game I want. I don't beautiful graphics to tell me a game is good.
But what is strange is that even before I got solid details of the game, only a few screenshots and the fact that you live someone's life, I wanted it bad. Normally I'd look at a game and if it looked good, I see what the gameplay was like, but it looked so simple and somehow more 'solid' than other games. Like it had substance. It wasn't just 'another' game.

I believe I was right to think this.

Now I've got even more information on this game I realise that I was right. This looks like, possibly, the greatest game of all time, and I'm upset because it's not getting a European release, understandable, right?

I still need to play this game though. Whether it's through the magic of freeloader or an American 'Cube, I'll get it.

I want to do so many things I could on other games.

One aspect of Animal Crossing that really made me want to buy my mates GameCube's and copies of Animal Crossing is the fact that you can link up memory cards.
So once you've made you're house all lovely your mate can come and visit you. You can give him a tour of the town, show him local wildlife, show him some nice shops and more, but there's something much better than that.
What's this?
I mean when you visit his village. Muahahaha! This is when the real evil of Animal Crossing shines through. You do not simply come to visit him, oh no. Stealing all of things is what's REALLY fun. SO while you're playing along to the whole: "Oh, thanks for letting me into your village." You can steal his personal belongings and, even better, his best villagers. So if you see someone who you especially like, talk to them and steal them away to your town. Ha!

I may think Laurence Lowelyn Bowen is a complete... not very nice, but that doesn't mean decorating isn't good. Making my house look as good (Or bad) as possible is what I call a game! Just giving my home a personal look seems strangely satisfying.
It got to a point where I'm planning out what I should put where even though it shall never be. A lamp in the corner, the bed near the lamp to give a cosy, welcoming, feel to the place. Everyday I turn into that Laurence bloke everyday thanks to this game that won't even come out here, it's reduced me to a babbling idiot.

But what can't be can't be. All because of Nintendo.

It seems the West increasingly hates us PAL gamers. Yes, we may be getting the hugely generous Ura-Zelda/Ocarina Of Time Extra with the Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, but time and time we've had terrible decisions by them. Zelda is one example: the Wind Waker? What on earth were they thinking, he doesn't play the bagpipes and he doesn't have a fiddle, but his game is called the Wind Waker, it's terrible.

But this is like Nintendo getting a dagger, stabbing me clean in the heart and twisting it around for hours.

Surely Nintendo could have released it over here, one second the PAL version is being tested, the next it's been scrapped. I was so sure I'd play this game on a PAL 'Cube, but it seems not.

If Nintendo want to become more popular, they really do need to think about us PAL gamers, many a time we've been second fiddle to Japan and America. SEGA gave us extras that NTSC gamers didn't get, why can't you, Nintendo?

But I can see why they didn't sell it over here. The fact of the matter is, there are so many Casual Gamers in Europe who look and graphics and judge a game on them alone, it's doesn't matter about the gameplay to them. So Nintendo could have lost a lot of money.

Not really much of an excuse for making us gamers pay, but sadly, this is how industries work, and I hate it.

Well, it seems that I'll have to sit tight until Animal Crossing 2. Although I see problems with this, maybe it's because I hate online games, maybe it's because I don't want Animal Crossing to change.

If I don't get a free AC with AC2, I'll be having words with Nintendo.

Thanks for reading.

RiCkOsS
Tue 14/01/03 at 17:11
Regular
I'm an idiot. A complete and utter idiot.

Why?

Simple, I'm missing a game that I've never played before.

I'm actually upset about Animal Crossing not getting a European release.

It all started back in about August when I claimed Animal Crossing (Or Animal Forest + as it used to be called) for a review I won GAD for. Ever since then I've been eagerly awaiting the arrival of this game. Every preview, NTSC review or just new information about the game I'd read about five times over because I wanted it so, so much, and I still do today.

You see, Animal Crossing was a damn special creation. Forget Mario, dump Zelda and ditch Samus. I didn't care about any of their adventures, I wanted Animal Crossing, I want Animal Crossing. Think I'm mad? Or think that this game has gotta be pretty good to make me want it so much.

What was most promising for me was that the game looked like an old N64 game. As many of you may know, I place Gameplay way above graphics and this seemed to be the embodiment of my perfect game. It seemed to me that Nintendo said: "Forget about graphics, we want this to be the most playable game ever!" For me, this is the kind of game I want. I don't beautiful graphics to tell me a game is good.
But what is strange is that even before I got solid details of the game, only a few screenshots and the fact that you live someone's life, I wanted it bad. Normally I'd look at a game and if it looked good, I see what the gameplay was like, but it looked so simple and somehow more 'solid' than other games. Like it had substance. It wasn't just 'another' game.

I believe I was right to think this.

Now I've got even more information on this game I realise that I was right. This looks like, possibly, the greatest game of all time, and I'm upset because it's not getting a European release, understandable, right?

I still need to play this game though. Whether it's through the magic of freeloader or an American 'Cube, I'll get it.

I want to do so many things I could on other games.

One aspect of Animal Crossing that really made me want to buy my mates GameCube's and copies of Animal Crossing is the fact that you can link up memory cards.
So once you've made you're house all lovely your mate can come and visit you. You can give him a tour of the town, show him local wildlife, show him some nice shops and more, but there's something much better than that.
What's this?
I mean when you visit his village. Muahahaha! This is when the real evil of Animal Crossing shines through. You do not simply come to visit him, oh no. Stealing all of things is what's REALLY fun. SO while you're playing along to the whole: "Oh, thanks for letting me into your village." You can steal his personal belongings and, even better, his best villagers. So if you see someone who you especially like, talk to them and steal them away to your town. Ha!

I may think Laurence Lowelyn Bowen is a complete... not very nice, but that doesn't mean decorating isn't good. Making my house look as good (Or bad) as possible is what I call a game! Just giving my home a personal look seems strangely satisfying.
It got to a point where I'm planning out what I should put where even though it shall never be. A lamp in the corner, the bed near the lamp to give a cosy, welcoming, feel to the place. Everyday I turn into that Laurence bloke everyday thanks to this game that won't even come out here, it's reduced me to a babbling idiot.

But what can't be can't be. All because of Nintendo.

It seems the West increasingly hates us PAL gamers. Yes, we may be getting the hugely generous Ura-Zelda/Ocarina Of Time Extra with the Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, but time and time we've had terrible decisions by them. Zelda is one example: the Wind Waker? What on earth were they thinking, he doesn't play the bagpipes and he doesn't have a fiddle, but his game is called the Wind Waker, it's terrible.

But this is like Nintendo getting a dagger, stabbing me clean in the heart and twisting it around for hours.

Surely Nintendo could have released it over here, one second the PAL version is being tested, the next it's been scrapped. I was so sure I'd play this game on a PAL 'Cube, but it seems not.

If Nintendo want to become more popular, they really do need to think about us PAL gamers, many a time we've been second fiddle to Japan and America. SEGA gave us extras that NTSC gamers didn't get, why can't you, Nintendo?

But I can see why they didn't sell it over here. The fact of the matter is, there are so many Casual Gamers in Europe who look and graphics and judge a game on them alone, it's doesn't matter about the gameplay to them. So Nintendo could have lost a lot of money.

Not really much of an excuse for making us gamers pay, but sadly, this is how industries work, and I hate it.

Well, it seems that I'll have to sit tight until Animal Crossing 2. Although I see problems with this, maybe it's because I hate online games, maybe it's because I don't want Animal Crossing to change.

If I don't get a free AC with AC2, I'll be having words with Nintendo.

Thanks for reading.

RiCkOsS
Tue 14/01/03 at 17:19
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
This post was pretty much an exact replecation of my own feelings. I am so annoyed at Nintendo right now, te fact that we've been loyal gamers for ages, and yet they go and stick this in our faces.

I *will* be playing AC by the summer. Whether it's with the FL, or the fact that my birthday is in July and I am considering importing a USA cube.

Excellent post.

:)
Tue 14/01/03 at 17:23
Regular
"Grammatical Watchdo"
That's exactly how i feel too, nintendo will have to do something huge for me to look at them the same way again.
Tue 14/01/03 at 17:23
Regular
Where do you live Rick?

You can come round and play it on my shiny shiny Q if you like :)
Tue 14/01/03 at 17:26
Regular
Whitestripes wrote:
> Where do you live Rick?
>
> You can come round and play it on my shiny shiny Q if you like :)

I live far, far away from you ;-)
Tue 14/01/03 at 17:31
Regular
Wales?
Tue 14/01/03 at 17:35
Whitestripes: Did you have to pay custom fees for your Q?

I'm considering purchasing games abroad, but I'm slightly baffled with the rates - and I don't want to cough up £20 to the postie in front of my parents, when I'm collecting a suspicious looking parcel from New Zealand!
Tue 14/01/03 at 17:38
Regular
Whitestripes wrote:
> Wales?

Nope, below Scotland. :-)
Tue 14/01/03 at 17:46
Regular
DeltaJava wrote:
> Whitestripes: Did you have to pay custom fees for your Q?
>

I'll tell you when it arrives
Tue 14/01/03 at 17:51
I thought you already had it, judging from excessive "dancing" in the forums...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.