GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Controlling the game!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 25/01/02 at 18:03
Regular
Here is one of the most important things about playing a game – the controller you use to play it with. Since the days of the NES (and possibly before, when I wasn’t around), console manufacturers have been making improvements to the design of the controller to accompany the system.

I would say it’s universally agreed that Nintendo are unrivalled when it comes to innovations in controller design. The NES controller was, to be fair, pretty basic. But back then, this didn’t matter because there weren’t any other controllers to compare it to! However, by the time the SNES hit, both the Sega Master System and Sega Mega Drive had landed on store shelves. The Mega Drive controller, although quite different in mould to the NES pad, performed the same basic functions.
It was at this point, during the development of the SNES, that Nintendo realised to go forward in gaming would require an innovation in controller design; hence the shoulder buttons. Despite an increase in the number of buttons (and obviously no increase in the number of fingers), by placing these two shoulder buttons on the top of the pad, it causes little dismay amongst casual gamers. The inclusion of these shoulder buttons opened up new possibilities to developers in game design. But due to relatively low processing power of the SNES, few games took advantage of the controllers increased capabilities.
So, next up for Nintendo was their biggest technical leap in gaming yet – from 2D to 3D. This required a whole new kind of pad, which needed to incorporate all the features of the SNES pad, just incase developers chose to stay in the second dimension, and then some. Shigeru Miyamoto (and co.) wanted to show the world want their Nintendo64 was really capable of. How did they do this? By making Super Mario 64.
The game was the first of its kind; being able to roam freely in a realistic 3D world was what the N64 could do. But can you imagine playing Mario 64 with the SNES pad? The N64 pad featured, among other things, the next revolution in controller design – the analogue stick. Being analogue (rather than digital) allowed the player to move at a desired pace and at a desired angle. Without this, it would have simply been a case of stand still/run and left/right.
Soon after it was discovered that the N64 controller would be a huge success for years to come, Sony replaced the standard Playstation controllers with, what it dubbed, the Dual Shock controller. Sony had basically stolen Nintendo’s design, but tried to make it look slightly original by actually placing two analogue sticks on the pad side-by-side. This allowed the gamer to direct the character around the 3D world using the left stick and rotate the camera using the right stick. On paper, this seems a genuinely brilliant idea. In reality, the player often got confused trying to control two things at once, and developers often had to resort to placing a fixed camera behind the player. For the experienced gamer, however, this wasn’t a problem.
Sega have never really got the hang of making decent controllers, and it seems as though they’ll never get the chance to change this! Sega never bothered changing the Saturn pad, as the console was probably on the way out at the time. So, it wasn’t until around 1998 that they got into the analogue scene. For some, the Dreamcast controller was too big. For others, it was simply too shoddy (often complaining of poor contact on the action buttons). Despite this, the Dreamcast controller was different to anything before it in two ways – the VMU and the analogue shoulder pads.
The VMU (Visual Memory Unit) was almost like a mini Gameboy. In theory, gamers could download mini games onto their VMU from games such as Sonic Adventure and play it on the move, even against other VMU-owners. However, developers criminally ignored the VMU’s true potential, and Sega was left to try and support the little fella on their own. This they did poorly, with few titles allowing you to unleash it’s potential.
However, the one other original idea Sega implemented into the Dreamcast controller was deemed a success – the analogue shoulder pads. Games such as Metropolis Street Racer implemented these shoulder pads to allow the gamer to accelerate at the desired rate (depending on the car, ofcourse), while games such as Sonic Adventure used them to let the gamer rotate the camera. So successful were the shoulder pads that this was not the last time they’d feature on a controller!

Anyway, that’s all in the past now (accept it people) and the three competitors for the next-gen gaming crown are looming large (some larger than others). Sony’s preparing to fend off competition from Nintendo with it’s latest box of joy – Gamecube, and Microsoft with its first-ever ‘console’ – X-Box. However, seeing as this post is all about controllers, that’s what I’ll concentrate on!
First up, Sony. Essentially, the PS2 controller is little more than a blask Psone controller with a few extra features. Although this may seem lazy on Sony’s part, a similar controller to before was required if Sony wanted gamers to play Psone games on their PS2 without any hassle.
Being in exactly the same mould as before, the Dual Shock 2 controller features one important function over the original – pressure-sensitive buttons. This means gamers can accelerate at any desired rate in GT3, much the same way in which Dreamcast-owners could in MSR. Although at first this inclusion can feel barely noticeable, a few hours practice will really bring the potential of this inventive idea.
Despite this, the problems that were there with the Dual Shock are still present. Some find the right analogue stick too close to the action buttons. Others claim there isn’t enough resistance from the analogue sticks, while others say it’s simply not as comfortable as the N64 or Dreamcast pad. So for the inevitable PS3 controller, Sony’s gonna have to go back to the drawing board, if they want fewer complaints next time round.
Next under the spotlight is the Nintendo Gamecube controller. Nintendo, and particularly Shigeru Miyamoto have been under a lot of pressure to pull something special out the bag for this one. Just about every controller they’ve ever designed has taken the game controller scene to new heights, and people expected the Gamecube controller to do the same. So, has it? Ofcourse it has!
In actual fact, the Gamecube controller doesn’t really feature any innovations, apart from the overall design. The controls are in a near-perfect layout (although there’s been some dispute over the placement of the Z-trigger) and the actual controller fits into almost any pair of hands perfectly. The same comment that’s been put forward time and time again is that the player actually forgets they’re holding the controller. It’s as though the controller is merely an extension of their hands, which allows the gamer to focus more on the actual game, rather than which button they should press next. This is what all controller designers should aim to achieve, but rarely do so (the number of times I’ve had to look down at the PS2 pad while playing Agent Under Fire is unforgivable).
So, two down, one to go – the X-Box controller. Like the Gamecube controller, I’ve only tried it out once, but my opinion of it is so very different! I’m not quite sure what Microsoft were thinking when they designed this beast.
Firstly, it’s way too big. The reason for this? Not the foggiest. Maybe Microsoft wanted the controller’s mass to be proportional to the console itself. Maybe all employees working under Mr. Gates have abnormally large hands. Whatever the case, it immediately abolishes any chance of the controller feeling remotely comfortable.
Next criticism – the placement of the main action buttons. For a pad, which is way too big, I find it hard to understand why Microsoft have placed the four main action buttons so close to one another. On the other hand, it makes life a little easier for button-bashers playing Dead or Alive 3…
Microsoft haven’t done everything wrong with this controller, though. They’ve implemented several different control features such as the d-pad, two analogue sticks, 6 pressure-sensitive action buttons and two analogue shoulder pads. The X-Box controller has got it all there, it’s just in a strange layout and uncomfortable mould.

So, with that out of the way, I’m sure you’ve worked out that I, like most others (Nintendo fans or not) think the Gamecube controller is the best of the current three. But what about the future? What innovations can we expect from these three competitors when gaming takes another leap forward? To be truthful, I really don’t know, and that’s why the likes of Shigeru Miyamoto get paid for thinking up these ingenious ideas and not us!
However, if there’s one thing we can be sure of, it means even deeper, richer interactive gaming that brings us closer to the actual game world and that, ladies and gentleman, can only be a good thing.

Your favourite Uncle – Albert.
Thu 07/02/02 at 12:48
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
Games like Turok and Forsaken used the N64's D-pad for things like activating sniper scopes, crouching, etc

Also the D-pad was useful for beat-em-ups! Well there was a few of them, like Fighters Destiny.

Admittley it wasn't too important, but it really did need to be there!

:)
Mon 04/02/02 at 19:12
Regular
"5 European Cups!!!"
I an all honesty can not think of a game which made use of that directional pad, I've thought to the point where I've gave up, so anyone else, it's up to you to find that magical game 'm afraid
Mon 04/02/02 at 19:07
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
slave2games wrote:
> The most pointless part of the N64 controller had to be the directional-pad.
> While you held the pad with your left hand in the middle part, and your right
> hand in the right part, the directonal pad was of no use whatsoever.

I couldn't agree more (and perhaps a point I should have brought up in my original post). Just trying to think of a game...
Mon 04/02/02 at 14:37
Regular
"5 European Cups!!!"
The most pointless part of the N64 controller had to be the directional-pad. While you held the pad with your left hand in the middle part, and your right hand in the right part, the directonal pad was of no use whatsoever. Can anyone name a known game which used it?
Mon 04/02/02 at 14:19
Regular
"++ Anti Antler ++"
The N64 had the best controller! It had a great layout, was perfect for shout 'em ups and was comfy for all size of hands!
Thu 31/01/02 at 17:26
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
===SONICRAV---> wrote:
> Uncle Albert...

The N64 was not the first console with an analogue
> controller- the Saturn was! Just as the PSX launched with the digital
> controller, and then the dual shock was made standard, the Saturn launched with
> the poor digital controller, and a few months later the analogue stick
> controller was released- over a year BEFORE the N64 pad was released!

How was the Saturn the first console to have an analogue pad???

The Saturn's analog pad was made specially for Nights!!!

That wasn't a launch title!

And the N64 PAD had an analog stick! It wasn't a new feature incorporated after the release of the console, but a design feature put in since the start of the production of the actual machine! Thus the N64 had analog sticks FIRST!

:)
Mon 28/01/02 at 10:15
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Uncle Albert wrote:
> Well done Sonicrav, fair point. Cooky pointed it out to me after reading the
> post a few days ago. I admit I slipped up on the analogue stick thing, but very
> few games took advantage of it on the Saturn (wasn't it designed for Nights, or
> something like that?)

YEP! That's my favourite game ever... simply because of its originality- it beats Jet Set and Rez. The controller was great for racing games too!

However, I'm not wrong about the analogue button thing
> because I've classed the pressure-sensitive buttons and the analogue shoulder
> pads as two different things. Sorry for the confusion. :)

Ahhhh... but they are exactly the same thing. The only difference is that the analogue buttons press in about 2 mm, whereas the sholder triggers press in for about an inch- actually allowing you to use the analogness.

Sonic
Mon 28/01/02 at 09:33
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
Whilst the Gamecube controller is probably the best, it does suffer from two minor faults IMO.

Dodgy "L" and "R" buttons, I can't see these lasting very long under intense gaming-circumstances and a hideously placed "Z" button.

Other than that though, you can't fault it :)
Mon 28/01/02 at 07:40
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
Well done Sonicrav, fair point. Cooky pointed it out to me after reading the post a few days ago. I admit I slipped up on the analogue stick thing, but very few games took advantage of it on the Saturn (wasn't it designed for Nights, or something like that?)
However, I'm not wrong about the analogue button thing because I've classed the pressure-sensitive buttons and the analogue shoulder pads as two different things. Sorry for the confusion. :)
Sun 27/01/02 at 22:34
Regular
Yeah well, even if Sega was the first to put an analogue stick in, Nintendo were the first to both standardise and use the system to it's full potential.

Nintendo took Sega's half cocked idea and did it properly! ;-P

Likewise, Sony said, "there's one good stick, we'll put two in ours!" (no dirty jokes here please...)

Only they put the sticks in places that most people describe as uncomfortable.

Besides Resi, all the unbiased multiformat mags (like Games Master and Digitiser - who are NOT biased) say that the Gamecube's controller is the best ever so there!! :-P

Anyway, all 3 controllers work in roughly the same way.

2 analogue sticks.
1 D-pad
4 normal buttons
2 (or 4) shoulder buttons
a start button.

That means devellopers don't have to completely change the controls with every format they release a game on!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.