GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"We DONT want a PS3"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 25/01/02 at 16:34
Regular
Sure the Xbox is more powerful than the PS2, it doesnt mean that Sony neeed to go into panic mode and rush out a PS3. I have only had my PS2 for a few months, its still a baby it is only just leraning to walk. If you have a kid, then your friend gets one that is cuter than yours, you dont throw it away and get a new one (at least I hope you dont).

Now the PS2 is cheaper than its original launch price, more people are lucky enougth to own one. But there are so many people out there who still have their eyes glued to the shop windows staring at the presious black box saying 'it will be mine, oh yes it will be mine. How would you feel if you buy one then a short while later a newer, more powerful and more expensive version is released? I would be very angry, I wouldnt have enough money as I just spent it on a now out of date PS2.

That PS2 is already developing a good looking catouluge of titles GT3, THPS3, GTA3, Jak and Daxter, Max Payne and more. The future is looking even better, I know that we all have our eyes on some games, and our hand on our wallets. Many of us are looking forward to the repeativly held back release of Metal Gear Solid 2. Others are watching the days fall away on their calendars waiting for games like Medal of honour and Stunt man. MGS2 alone will sell a huge supply of machines and so will the upcoming hard drive and modem.

I know some of you are excited about an even more powerful Sony console, but I am not. I have given Sony my money, and yes I have been entertained with some great games. But let the PS2 reach its peek, dont put it down and send it to console heaven with the Dreamcast until develops cant do anything new on it. Imagine is PS2 came out like 3 years earlier, we would have missed out on a lot of classic PSone titles. So dont call it a day until you have squeesed every last drop of gaming goodness out of it.

Who here wants a PS3 soon?

I hope most of you say not me. If you do want it in a hurry then either your Bill gates or yo are an idiot. Stand back, let the PS2 grow, then went it eventualy dies you move on. All a PS3 will do is:

1. Make sony a lot of money
2. Sony will gain lots of new customers
3. Games will move to an even greater level
4. Sony will lose many old customers
5. Sony will be revealed for the face-less money grabbing company that they are

Sure number 3 sounds good, it is, but not until the PS2 has run its course.Sony will lose old customers, because whats to say that soon after PS3 comes out, Sony will do a PS4. This would put a lot of people off, we havent got unlimited money you know.

Dont get me wrong - Im not saying the PS3 is not wanted, im just saying its not time yet. When it is time it will be great, and I will be raving about them, but not yet. Lets see what the PS2 can do first, lets watch it grow and evolve and produce even greater games and accesories.

What are your views and opinions?

Thanks for reading
CDouch
Mon 28/01/02 at 12:38
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
You can bet your boots that Sony are allready working on PS3, but Sony have more of a brain than to release it just because there are new kids on the block. The PS1 shone through, seeing the launch of the N64 and the DC (a machine with 4 times the power), and look who is still standing?

You can trust Sony that they have a plan.
Mon 28/01/02 at 09:40
Personally, I think that Sony should start working on the Playstation3 as soon as possible. In fact, I'd be very surprised if they didn't have at least a working spec designed already. Anybody who's not expecting this, really doesn't know what the commercial world is like.

At the end of the day, they're a commercial company with two main competitors. If they sit back and do nothing, they're going to lose out on market share (a market which, admittedly, they dominate currently, but it won't always be that way). If they lose too much market share, they may eventually decide to ditch consoles altogether, which is exactly what SEGA just did. That is in NOBODY'S best interest (apart from MS and Nintendo).

Buying a console is like buying any other technology - you know that it's going to be supersceded by something bigger and flashier pretty quickly, so you base your buying decision on...
1) what you can afford
2) how long you're prepared to wait
3) how long the technology has been available.

I'm only just looking at buying a PS2 now. The technology has been around for a year or two, so it could be considered as being mature (or stable at the very least).

I don't care that a PS3 may be on the way. With the installed user base the PS2's got, no games developer can afford to ignore it. I mean to say, they're *still* bringing out games for the PS1, for goodness' sake!! New PS2 software will be coming out for years to come.

At least with the PS2, the spec's stable. Everyone has the same hardware. Look at the PC arena if you want to compare it to something. There's some new technology out almost every week, whether it's faster processors or better graphics cards etc. You don't see PC gamers whining about their kit not being cutting-edge anymore. They use it til they can't use it anymore, then replace it.

The same should be true of consoles, or indeed any technology. VHS gets replaced by DVD. There are already better storage mediums than DVD, but is anyone panicking? No! DVD's been adopted by the public, and will most likely stay with us for 10 years+. Did you hold off from buying a VHS recorder (either Betamax or VHS) because you were worried about it being outdated by "The Next Big Thing"? I doubt it!

At the end of the day, you pays your money and takes your choice. Companies can't afford to sit back and do nothing - if they did, they'd die, and technology wouldn't advance at the rate it is. If you can't wait and want your console NOW, buy what's best now, but don't expect it to last forever. If you're not sure - wait. But at some point, your going to have to make up your mind and hand over your cash.

I say - "PS3? Bring it on!!"
Sun 27/01/02 at 15:05
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
Sony only seem to care about money these days, and NOT the peple who give it to them. I would go to another console, but the PS2 games intrest me the most.
Sun 27/01/02 at 15:03
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
I feel the damage has already been done. Having spoken about the PS3 Sony have already detered many potential customers from buying a PS2, and those that have are likely to have a negative view of the company now.

I know I personally will now monitor Sony's situation closely because i'm getting close to giving up on them and going with a company like Nintendo, who above all else seem to have the right attitude towards their games consoles.
Sun 27/01/02 at 14:59
Regular
"Guess who..."
The XBox that is!
Sun 27/01/02 at 14:58
Regular
"Guess who..."
I think when the drops a few bucks we should all get one. It's $499.99 for a package over here.
Sat 26/01/02 at 20:57
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
I have mainly won DVD's and I have brought about 5 games.
Sat 26/01/02 at 19:53
Look How Happy r u with the ps2 well i am happy i think that if sony want a ps3 they make it Xbox Does not diserve to win the battle
Sat 26/01/02 at 18:21
Regular
"Bah"
you cant really complain thou :) i bet youve never paid for one game on it except for your first as the amount of GAD you have!
MM
Sat 26/01/02 at 18:07
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
Mrmatrix your right it is good value for £200. a great games console, and a DVD player. But £200 is still a lot of money for a lot of people to spend on a entertainment console especialy if a newer version is released soon after.

£200 is a lot to me, I havent got a job yet so I had to save the money for my PS2. When I got mine it was £350 - it came with a game, DVD and second controler. So it seemed like a lot to me as it took me a few months to save. But it was worth it!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.