GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"email spam"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 11/01/12 at 16:30
Regular
"a pint of plain..."
I have been getting a lot of spam from "santander" / "northern rock" / "alliance & leicester" asking me to resolve issues on my account etc. obviously spam.phish as I don't have accounts with same. I only mention it because it has increased in the last few days. I understand it's impossible to cut out all these bleeping bleepers but I wanted to see how others were faring in this respect. I am forwarding to abuse, but I'm guessing they're subtly changing something to enable them to slip through the net again and again.

I am using thunderbird as my email client with the standard adaptive junk mail filters. Can anyone suggest a plug-in that might improve this

also freeola - do you block email by ip address when you receive an abuse report email?
Wed 11/01/12 at 16:30
Regular
"a pint of plain..."
I have been getting a lot of spam from "santander" / "northern rock" / "alliance & leicester" asking me to resolve issues on my account etc. obviously spam.phish as I don't have accounts with same. I only mention it because it has increased in the last few days. I understand it's impossible to cut out all these bleeping bleepers but I wanted to see how others were faring in this respect. I am forwarding to abuse, but I'm guessing they're subtly changing something to enable them to slip through the net again and again.

I am using thunderbird as my email client with the standard adaptive junk mail filters. Can anyone suggest a plug-in that might improve this

also freeola - do you block email by ip address when you receive an abuse report email?
Wed 11/01/12 at 17:18
"Are you sure?"
Hi webcity1,
Is this a standard or 'EmailPro' account?
If it's EmailPro then you have some more options to blacklist and adjust the 'filter strength' etc. which you might like to try.

I also see these phishing attempts (as nearly everyone on the internet does!) but aren't seeing a massive influx. I haven't seen any today (and I have quite a lot of accounts) but I did yesterday.

As I have a range of Freeola accounts I can normally see when something's going on *Rolex* springs to mind!

I use MS Outlook and the Junk filters seem to pick up all of these emails. Have you looked at the originating IP addresses, they are quite likely to be different/spoofed?

I'll keep a look out for my next 'Your account login attempts bla bla' spam - but for me, over a range of domains it's not currently a problem. In fact my Freeola account spam situation is about the best it's ever been. *Kiss of Death!* ;¬)

For more info see my previous SPAM related posts

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Wed 11/01/12 at 19:24
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Just the usual few here ... my missing login information for questionable sites but none related to the banking establishments mentioned.
Wed 18/01/12 at 22:37
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Is email retrieval slow tonight or is it just me?

Not 'snailmail' more like 'slugmail' at the moment and ... yes, I did ponder whether a slug was slower than a snail :¬)
Fri 20/01/12 at 10:48
"Are you sure?"
Hmmm... wrote:
...Have you looked at the originating IP addresses, they are quite likely to be different/spoofed?

The spam situation is still fine for me, but as promised I've been looking out for banking/Santander emails.

I had a Santander phishing attempt yesterday and found (looking at the email headers) that it originated from Japan. I've just had one today and this one had a German IP.

A quick search shows both the originating IPs check out as having a 'clean' reputation. So as I previously mentioned this type of spam can be hard to block via IP address alone.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]

@DL - always best to start a new thread for unrelated items :¬P
FYI ...My Freeola email seems to be working fine.
Fri 20/01/12 at 15:20
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Hmmm... wrote:

@DL - always best to start a new thread for unrelated items :¬P
FYI ...My Freeola email seems to be working fine.

It was a 'passing' comment two days ago ... not really worth creating a new thread ;¬P
Fri 20/01/12 at 17:53
"Are you sure?"
Dragonlance wrote:
It was a 'passing' comment two days ago ... not really worth creating a new thread ;¬P

That's right we are trying to limit new threads around here! :�P

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Fri 20/01/12 at 18:34
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Hmmm... wrote:
That's right we are trying to limit new threads around here! :�P

Fine, point taken ... won't bother again ;�)
Tue 14/02/12 at 22:35
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Banking again Hmmm ...

Santander and Halifax seem to have both detected an awful lot of unauthorised activity on my accounts during the last week ... it's so comforting that these large institutions are so concerned about even their 'non-existent' customers .... just wish other banks would show such concern haha :¬D
Sat 18/02/12 at 13:03
Regular
"a pint of plain..."
ok to help limit those threads, I am posting here again. I have just received an email from "[email protected]" saying about a parcel being returned. In the detailed headers view I could see it originated from

The thing about the "parcel returned" spoof is I guess you don't necessarily know if there is an exciting parcel waiting for you, and of course the summary header showed fedex.com which is a genuine fedex domain. TRICKSY!

just a friendly warning....

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.