GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"email spam"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 11/01/12 at 16:30
Regular
"a pint of plain..."
I have been getting a lot of spam from "santander" / "northern rock" / "alliance & leicester" asking me to resolve issues on my account etc. obviously spam.phish as I don't have accounts with same. I only mention it because it has increased in the last few days. I understand it's impossible to cut out all these bleeping bleepers but I wanted to see how others were faring in this respect. I am forwarding to abuse, but I'm guessing they're subtly changing something to enable them to slip through the net again and again.

I am using thunderbird as my email client with the standard adaptive junk mail filters. Can anyone suggest a plug-in that might improve this

also freeola - do you block email by ip address when you receive an abuse report email?
Thu 27/09/12 at 20:04
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
pctech wrote:
Thanks for the welcome
Order placed and my ADSL migrates in next Thursday.

So Welcome to Freeola too then pctech ... hope you find us an amiable bunch ;¬)
Thu 27/09/12 at 19:50
Regular
"May contain nuts"
Hi Hmmmmm

Thanks for the welcome
Order placed and my ADSL migrates in next Thursday.

Its good to hear that they run greylisting, maybe the particular spammers are getting wise.

If they are using legit SMTP via compromised systems then yes it won't help.
Thu 27/09/12 at 09:01
"Are you sure?"
Hi pctech and welcome to the forums!

Hopefully you are already a Freeola customer then ;¬)

As mentioned previously by a staffie:
We run both greylisting and content filtering on our emails, and we trap the majority of spam that comes through...

In addition to that with Freeola's EmailPro you can maintain both white and blacklists which is also useful to have.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Wed 26/09/12 at 22:31
Regular
"May contain nuts"
Hi folks

The best thing I found to combat this was to use a host that support greylisting.

Spammers fire off a load of spam, a server operating greylisting ignores the first connection attempt from an SMTP server to transfer mail, a genuine server will make several attempts, an open mail relay will not.

It can slow mail delivery sometimes but it definitely works.
Wed 26/09/12 at 21:45
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Oh dear ...

NatWest Online Account Suspended

So disappointed ;¬)

Never banked with them in my life ... SPAM again ...

The 'link' to NatWest seems to point to "scotennis.com/wp-includes/Redirect.php" ...

... not quite what the usual NatWest user would expect (if they bothered to check, that is) :¬)
Fri 15/06/12 at 12:23
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Seems like the annual Tax Refund is coming our way! Recent email from HMRC today, disclosing this important information ... only one problem ....

"Viruses found in the attached files.
* Tax.Refund.Confidential.Message.zip: Virus identified JS/Phish"

Nice try but not today thank you :¬)
Fri 25/05/12 at 17:50
"Are you sure?"
fred23 wrote:
how can i send email from my freeola? to another email provider?

Hi and welcome to the forums!
Probably would have been a good idea to start a new forum thread :¬)

Login to MyFreeola then use the
'View/Edit email Addresses' option then 'Settings and Features' > 'Set up Forwarding'

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Fri 25/05/12 at 17:26
Regular
how can i send email from my freeola? to another email provider?
Fri 25/05/12 at 11:06
"Are you sure?"
Hi jimgardner and welcome to the forums.

With EmailPro you do get extra control of your spam settings.
You have a 'spam settings level' which you can adjust to be more/less sensitive to spam. You also get options to both Whitelist and Blacklist on a email account or domain level which could be useful for you.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Fri 25/05/12 at 09:29
Regular
I have a Freeola free email account which is receiving lots of Spam. I can block this on my desktop but it gets through ti my smartphone so I need to filter at the server level. Can anyone tell me if it's worth upgrading to EmailPro? Will it stop more Spam than free Email or are the filters basically t he same? Both free email and emailpro say they have filters but dont know if the £2/month upgrade would help or not!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.