GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Copying games"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 20/01/03 at 17:54
Regular
Copying games, I think is a fraud. People go out and buy games honestly, however some people copy games just to make a bit a money, for one it is illegal and companies that spent all their time are being ripped off by people who would do anything to get money. This effects the future of gaming considerably, as people are copying games the developers are losing money, and if they have no money, no more games. Most people don't know of the rule of "Copyright".
Mon 20/01/03 at 18:58
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Lombardo wrote:
> The true question is:
> Who is robbing who?
> A DVD costs about less than £5, yet they charge some people up
> to £45 per game (unless they buy at SR or the Internet), back in
> the days, the newest games cost £30-35, still, I don't copy or
> use copied games due to their poor quality and that monkey in my head
> (conscience).

Final Fantasy X cost nearly £22 million to produce.
In 2000-2001 SquareSoft as a company lost £11.5 million.
Their first 6 months of the 2003-2004 year they ended up making £9 million operating profit, the first profits seen in a long time, despite them losing money on Final Fantasy XI online. The only thing keeping them afloat this year was Kingdom Hearts sales in the US and Final Fantasy X sales in Europe.

Even so, £9 million isn't enough for them to develop another game, hence the merger with Enix I suspect.

When you're talking about that kind of money, the risk you take in charging only £20 a game and hoping to shift double the quantity, thereby making more profit because you've saved on the bulk production side is enormous.

It's the kind of risk that SquareSoft might have taken if they hadn't lost huge sums of money on their full length film, Spirits Within.

It's the kind of risk that you just can't expect a small independant developer to take, considering they're risking their whole company if the game flops.

Get the developers out of the red and in the black with their banks first, and then we can expect to see the price of games drop.
Mon 20/01/03 at 18:37
Regular
"Hmmm....."
Bonafide wrote:
> Warrington? My bro goes to Warrington Uni

----

Well... err... I live in St.Helens... not too far off Warrington...
Mon 20/01/03 at 18:34
Regular
"Plotting Your Demis"
The true question is:
Who is robbing who?
A DVD costs about less than £5, yet they charge some people up to £45 per game (unless they buy at SR or the Internet), back in the days, the newest games cost £30-35, still, I don't copy or use copied games due to their poor quality and that monkey in my head (conscience).
Mon 20/01/03 at 18:34
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
Warrington? My bro goes to Warrington Uni
Mon 20/01/03 at 18:31
Regular
"Hmmm....."
FantasyMeister wrote:
28, NutGrove Road, Warrington in 1998.

-----

Think I know where that is.

Hmm.
Mon 20/01/03 at 18:19
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
I feel like Yuri Nating on your thick skull for actually bragging about copying games.

Well, I'm not surprised I mean, what did they seriously expect people to use CD Writers for? Cup holders?
Mon 20/01/03 at 18:17
Regular
"bit of a brain"
FantasyMeister wrote:
> 'Hitler', when in fact it was
> ancient latin, a direct translation, 'His-' meaning 'Bill' and '-ler'
> meaning 'Gate'.

And suddenly 'portam' and 'ler' are the same word.
The circle is complete.
Mon 20/01/03 at 18:16
Regular
"smelly boxers"
i dont sell the games i copy but i do copy games.

once my mate copied one from the library i thought it was quite funny
Mon 20/01/03 at 18:13
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
:D

I so believe you
Mon 20/01/03 at 18:10
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Bonafide wrote:
> Argh! The foreseen apocalypse!!

Not really, we've had plenty of warning. The Bible in Revelations has always gone on about the Four Horsemen. Scholars have always interpreted them as angels, but of course the real explanation is that we're talking about Sega, Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft.

Nostradamus always had hallucinations featuring 'Hisler', which of course was incorrectly believed to be 'Hitler', when in fact it was ancient latin, a direct translation, 'His-' meaning 'Bill' and '-ler' meaning 'Gate'.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.