GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Not Porticularly Interested"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 20/01/03 at 22:04
Regular
You all know Nintendo's policy with the Game Boy Advance, right? Their policy being to port as many games from the Super Nintendo onto the 'Advance' handheld gaming system for those of us who haven't played the originals to get a chance to - and for them to make some money by doing very little obviously.

And so, we have seen many re-releases of classic Nintendo games from the days of the NES and Super NES, such as Super Mario Bros 2, Super Mario World and Yoshi's Island.

Some upcoming games even include A Link to the Past, which I have been looking forward to for bloomin' ages now (any excuse to play it again), and the great classic Donkey Kong Country - originally developed by Rare for Nintendo.

But wait! Something doesn't sound too right here!

Donkey Kong Country was one of Nitendo's last 'big' releases for the Game Boy Color! Sure, more games have been released since, Hamtaro being the latest, but Donkey Kong Country is already on the handheld system and is only slightly different to the Super Nintendo version, missing merely a few weather effects.

I have nothing against re-releasing games onto a newer system to enable others to play them. But why not just re-release the original handheld version? People wouldn't have to pay so much and I'm sure if people saw the name 'Donkey Kong Country', they would remember their classic gaming moments and consider buying it again!

After all, what are they going to do with the Game Boy Advance version? Make the graphics that tiny bit sharper and add Donkey Kong's grunts? Gee, that certainly warrants Game Boy Color version owners spending another thirty-five pounds of their hard earned cash on a Game Boy Advance version! After all, it isn't as if they can't play their Color version on their Game Boy Advances, is it?

I personally believe Nintendo have gone too far in doing this. Sure, I expected Donkey Kong Country ports, but not ports of one that is already available on the system! They could have released Donkey Kong Country 2 instead, missing out Donkey Kong Country like they missed Super Mario Bros in the Super Mario Advance series.

Are Nintendo going to announce in a couple months time that they've stopped production of Super Mario Bros on the Game Boy Color and are therefore re-releasing it on the Advance? Or are they going to make things even stupider by re-releasing all their current Game Boy Advance games as Game Boy Advance SP games with colour features for SP owners?

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of ports! I will be getting Sonic Mega Collection, and possible Sega Smash on the Game Boy Advance (with ports of Sonic Spinball, Ecco the Dolphin and Goldenaxe) and I already own the complete Super Mario Advance series to date as well as Doom. I just think that re-releasing a game that is already available on the system is complete and utterly pointless, and is basically extracting the urine when it comes to the portation policy Nintendo adhere to.
Mon 20/01/03 at 22:29
Regular
To say Mario Kart Super Circuit is a port of Super Mario Kart, is like saying Mario Kart GC is a port of Mario Kart 64 - that's basically what I meant.
Mon 20/01/03 at 22:29
Regular
"Formally:Ev][L~DarK"
Does it matter though? Think about it, Even if it was a port then it still has to do a massive change in making it into a GBA Game rather then from a Playstation or something. Here's another point,

What if most people Like playing games that they have played on the Dreamcast, Playstation or Xbox etc on the move? You can't really take a PS2 into the woods and have great gaming. So they've made games to the thing what a GBA is made to do, And still it (nearly) has the power to play games that really keep you playing, For longer even or more enjoyable.
Mon 20/01/03 at 22:30
Regular
"Remember me?"
Oh good. I'm glad someone decided to come in here and rant a bit.
Mon 20/01/03 at 22:34
Regular
I have nothing against the ports themselves (as reading the original message would have explained to you), I just don't like the idea of old-ish Game Boy games being re-released on the Game Boy as a new title - it just doesn't make sense.

No doubt Donkey Kong country will see the normal R.R.P. of £34.99
Mon 20/01/03 at 22:34
Regular
"Formally:Ev][L~DarK"
Yup. I'm cheering on Dark mark...

Go Darky.. Go Darky..
Mon 20/01/03 at 22:36
Regular
Ev][L~Dark wrote:
> Yup. I'm cheering on Dark mark...
>
> Go Darky.. Go Darky..

Despite your last comment being against Dark Mark's initial spurt against ports?
Mon 20/01/03 at 22:39
Regular
"Remember me?"
I wouldn't mind ports so much - as I also mentioned earlier - if Nintendo had a decent number of more original titles to go with them; for those of us who don't really want to pay £35 for games we either own, owned or have played to death.

This is why Edgy's comment about my choice of Gamecube games - Sonic Adventure 2, Crazy Taxi etc - was gay (lol!), as the Gamecube has ports along with a large number of original games to go with them.

Also, Edgy's comment about Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 was gay too, as it's actually a multi-format release. Granted it was probably ported from the PS2, but Activision didn't wait 10 years or so to do it just to make money. It was released on all next-gen consoles at roughly the same time.

So ner!
Mon 20/01/03 at 22:40
Regular
"Remember me?"
"10 or so years" being a *ahem* slight exaggeration in some cases.

:-D
Mon 20/01/03 at 22:43
Regular
I think there was a couple weeks between versions :D

Anyway, although I agree that there should be more original titles on the GBA - Nintendo are doing a great (makes a change) job with original titles for the 'Cube at the moment - so I'm not going to complain too much there.

As for my comments being gay - there was nothing homosexual about them - I assure you that. I only got 23% on thespark's gay test last time I took it!
Mon 20/01/03 at 22:44
Regular
"Remember me?"
Edgy wrote:
> I think there was a couple weeks between versions :D

A week I think you'll find. And I knew you'd nitpick over that in some way.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.