GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Not Porticularly Interested"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 20/01/03 at 22:04
Regular
You all know Nintendo's policy with the Game Boy Advance, right? Their policy being to port as many games from the Super Nintendo onto the 'Advance' handheld gaming system for those of us who haven't played the originals to get a chance to - and for them to make some money by doing very little obviously.

And so, we have seen many re-releases of classic Nintendo games from the days of the NES and Super NES, such as Super Mario Bros 2, Super Mario World and Yoshi's Island.

Some upcoming games even include A Link to the Past, which I have been looking forward to for bloomin' ages now (any excuse to play it again), and the great classic Donkey Kong Country - originally developed by Rare for Nintendo.

But wait! Something doesn't sound too right here!

Donkey Kong Country was one of Nitendo's last 'big' releases for the Game Boy Color! Sure, more games have been released since, Hamtaro being the latest, but Donkey Kong Country is already on the handheld system and is only slightly different to the Super Nintendo version, missing merely a few weather effects.

I have nothing against re-releasing games onto a newer system to enable others to play them. But why not just re-release the original handheld version? People wouldn't have to pay so much and I'm sure if people saw the name 'Donkey Kong Country', they would remember their classic gaming moments and consider buying it again!

After all, what are they going to do with the Game Boy Advance version? Make the graphics that tiny bit sharper and add Donkey Kong's grunts? Gee, that certainly warrants Game Boy Color version owners spending another thirty-five pounds of their hard earned cash on a Game Boy Advance version! After all, it isn't as if they can't play their Color version on their Game Boy Advances, is it?

I personally believe Nintendo have gone too far in doing this. Sure, I expected Donkey Kong Country ports, but not ports of one that is already available on the system! They could have released Donkey Kong Country 2 instead, missing out Donkey Kong Country like they missed Super Mario Bros in the Super Mario Advance series.

Are Nintendo going to announce in a couple months time that they've stopped production of Super Mario Bros on the Game Boy Color and are therefore re-releasing it on the Advance? Or are they going to make things even stupider by re-releasing all their current Game Boy Advance games as Game Boy Advance SP games with colour features for SP owners?

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of ports! I will be getting Sonic Mega Collection, and possible Sega Smash on the Game Boy Advance (with ports of Sonic Spinball, Ecco the Dolphin and Goldenaxe) and I already own the complete Super Mario Advance series to date as well as Doom. I just think that re-releasing a game that is already available on the system is complete and utterly pointless, and is basically extracting the urine when it comes to the portation policy Nintendo adhere to.
Thu 23/01/03 at 20:46
Regular
"Remember me?"
I think Andrea Ball left the NGC - or N64, as it was back than - team before you started buying the mag, Edgy.
Wed 22/01/03 at 22:27
Regular
Whitestripes wrote:
> *smacks stick over Mark's head*

Wed 22/01/03 at 21:46
Regular
*smacks stick over Mark's head*
Wed 22/01/03 at 21:06
Regular

Wed 22/01/03 at 13:49
Regular
"Remember me?"
Phwar har!
Wed 22/01/03 at 13:33
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
Dark Mark™ wrote:
> Your prodding stick is no match for The Stick™, which I borrowed
> (er... nicked) from Andrea Ball! Mwhahaha!
>
> Have at ye!#

Not ... not ... not ANDREA BALL!

*runs for life*
Wed 22/01/03 at 11:49
Regular
"Remember me?"
Your prodding stick is no match for The Stick™, which I borrowed (er... nicked) from Andrea Ball! Mwhahaha!

Have at ye!
Tue 21/01/03 at 23:02
Regular
*fetches proding stick*
Tue 21/01/03 at 23:00
Regular
"Formally:Ev][L~DarK"
But So is Good old English :) Hint Hint.

------

Buz so is bloody mega old Eglish.. Hint Hint

(Bad translation)

*Sigh*
Tue 21/01/03 at 22:59
Regular
"Formally:Ev][L~DarK"
Dark Mark™ wrote:
> Wenglish is a wonderful language.

I Agree.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.