GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"There are forces out there"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 21/01/03 at 17:58
Regular
Computer AI is a right funny old thing, well it can be at times, but most games at this time have proved that it isn't as hard to portray as many developers have thought in previous years. I can't really complain though, I don't have the foggiest idea how developers create AI like they did for Medal of Honour: Allied Assault. It was as if the people around you were real! Do they make some kind of electro-magnetic field around the enemy or something that once breached, makes them spot you? Oh, I dunno. But what I do know is that computer games aren't as they may seem.

There are times when I'm playing a game that I feel that the computer is intentionally being against me. Yes, I know that's the computer's job to give me a challenge and all, but isn't it supposed to be beatable in order to progress in a game? Well, these forces do not agree.

Playing on the superb Premier League equivalent on Pro Evolution Soccer 2, and doing mighty well if I may add, I was placed in a third division cup final against Rotterdam. They had been the hardest team (after mine) in the whole division, but I still managed to beat them in a league match, with quite some ease. But the tables seemed to have turned. This was the final of a cup I had worked very hard to reach and now I was only 90 minutes (well 10 minutes) away from true glory and worthy dominance and I thought it would be a breeze...that was until the macth begun. The refferee was blowing the whistle against me for tiny little shrugs all match and never found it necessary to blow for me when my men were blatantly being sliced off the ball.

This affected my game incredibly as I frequently resorted to verbal violence, getting more and more angry. Then, something came over me, as if holding me back from playing like I normally did when I won matches. After about 60 minutes, my men were running like they had just been unpleasantly violated whilst (oh what a surprise!) Rotterdam were running like the match had only just begun. They were pressuring me like crazy and I could barely cross the half way line towards them. Then, it all became too much. My anger rapidly filled its cup and it just so happened that Rotterdam were toying about with the ball at that exact same time, in my box. The circle button on my pad was red, which also symbolises anger, and my index finger suddenly felt a pleasing attraction towards it, making me foul the FOOL! The ref gave a penalty. I could not believe it. And they obviously had to score, which ended up as the winning goal just because there was something out there against me. I lost the final, didn't get the cup and was left in a state of disbelief.

I asked something, somewhere - "Why me?! Why now?!" - I was furious as well as sure that this was not just a case of the computer AI running in a hormonic state. The force was just too great for this.

Now, anyone who has played Mario Party 4 for the Cube will know how reasonably easy and fair it is. Playing against my little cousin and two other computer members, we decided to start a new game. For those who don't know, Mario Party 4 is like a computerised board game only that it has different settings and little mini challenges that earn you points. Now, I started off well, collecting loads of gold coins winning a couple mini games and eventually reaching the star, which for a first go isn't so bad. So now, I got the hang of the game I thought things would be much easier...well, I thought. I felt an instant chill in the room for a split second, ignored it and continued with the game. I rolled the dice and got a 1! Never had I got below 4! I moved to my one-step-away destination only to be flung all the way over to the other side of the board, and the star was only a couple more moves away! Things were starting to seem eerie, as if there was something against me.

Then followed the mini games, which I had previously mastered. It's not that they got harder as I progressed or anything, Mario Party 4 isn't that sort of game. I started messing up unusually. So much so that the annoying childish laugh of my little cousin still rings in my head in the silence of the night. I still enjoyed the game, but I would have enjoyed it more if the force was with me, not against me! Whyyyyy!

Every game gives you a challenge, but if you come across a challenge that seems totally impossible this means the forces are against you. But do not worry, this is not an everlasting effect, more of a "I'll runin your game for you when I feel like it" effect. It's happened to me countless times, but at least I can be happy that there are forces out there fighting FOR and not against me.

Thanks for reading and

...use the force!
Wed 22/01/03 at 23:03
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
That's quite interesting Unbeliever, blaming the chips. It makes you wonder whether computers ever get sick of losing games. I mean, that is all they can do after all otherwise no one would take an interest in them.

Gamers always have to win in games and I think that is why the 'cpu' has called upon a negative force to help THEM win for a change.
Wed 22/01/03 at 14:23
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
I don't call it "computer law" - my mates and I have another term for it - "The Chips" Whenever the computer conspires against you, its "the Chips" at work. For example, you're playing Mariokart 64 and you think you're way ahead and then suddenly the computer controlled player rolls up out of nowhere and pips you on the finishing line - "the Chips" are at work. When you're playing FIFA 2003 on World Class level against Real Madrid and you're 1-0 up in a Champions League final and then the computer controlled players evade all your tackles and somehow get that vital goal in extra time...it's "the Chips" at work again.

Basically, we came up with the theory that every console has a special chip in it that judges how well you do, and if you're smashing a game (not literally of course) it adjusts its "chips" to best you.

Many a time I've been playing and then been f**ked over by the computer, at which point, I raise my head and howl "NO! THE CHIPS HAVE DONE ME OVER...AGAIN!"

Silly, i know, but I (and all my mates) have incorporated the phrase into our everyday lives. When there's some kind of mysterious force working against you - rest assured, it's the "chips".
Wed 22/01/03 at 13:59
Regular
Finals in football games are always like this. Cruise through the rounds and then here comes the Final - and suddenly you're facing a superhuman team made up of 10 Maradonas & Shay Given on a good day.
Wed 22/01/03 at 09:52
Regular
I know what you mean. I call this phenomenon "computer law", when no matter what you do, no matter how much you've mastered the game, you just know that the AI has it in for you.
Wed 22/01/03 at 00:44
Edgy wrote:
> "0wned since 1974"
>
> Owned what?
>
> A brewery?
> A tree?
> A horse?

Gaming term mate thought id clear that up- a little like in rap Bad is good in gaming terms like gh3y and l337 mean very good and 0wned is a bit like being wiped off the board and is often taken as sarcasm
Tue 21/01/03 at 23:12
Regular
"Link to the Future"
LOL!
Tue 21/01/03 at 22:20
Regular
I once had a kids toy called a 'wooly willy'

LOL!
Tue 21/01/03 at 22:19
Regular
"Remember me?"
A WILLY!
Tue 21/01/03 at 21:49
Regular
"0wned since 1974"

Owned what?

A brewery?
A tree?
A horse?
Tue 21/01/03 at 18:03
as long as it has nothing to do with Al Gore dancing we are in with a chance

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.