GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"New Console Called The Phantom"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 21/01/03 at 18:40
Regular
look in the news article in special reserve a new console is being mad which is supposed to be broadband only.
Wed 22/01/03 at 21:34
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Notice how the controller is a COMPLETE rip off of the Xbox pad?
Wed 22/01/03 at 22:20
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Maverick42 wrote:
> adrian wrote:
> If its a cheap console that say offers games like SNES and maybe
> even
> the old N64 games as they were on cartridges as little as
> 8MB(64mbit)
> then it may be worth a purchase. Downloading games that are on PS2,
> XBox and GC would take too long on Broadband as most will be 1GB+
> with
> some probably filling a DVD.
>
> Nicking other consoles' games - illegal, isn't it?

But I mean those type of games as I did say "Like", and not "SNES or N64 games". So decent 2D graphics or half decent 3D graphics would be good, not some crap 2 colour Speecy type game.
Wed 22/01/03 at 22:27
Regular
I'd expect games to be compressed to an N64 size - that means compressed music and sound but the N64 still managed fantastic sound in the forms of Jet Force Gemini, Conkers Bad Fur Day and Zelda: Orcarina of Time.

Besides, I think that most of these games will be cheaply made, multiplayer based games.
The idea would be that you paid for the box and were then free to download as many games as you liked (or if you did pay, I'd expect the fee to be minimal).

If it's a broadband only machine, it won't be trying to jump in the deep end with the multimedia likes of Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo.
Thu 23/01/03 at 19:14
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Phantom = 3DO all over again, if it exists that is....

And, if anyone reading this wonders what a 3DO actually is then it proves the point even better !

~~Belldandy~~
Thu 23/01/03 at 19:34
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
I say give it a chance. Might be good.

If it exists that is.
Thu 23/01/03 at 20:11
Regular
"Unretired"
Aparently it plays PC games. So, its just a gimmick really. This really is a PC in a box!
Thu 23/01/03 at 20:41
Regular
The Panasonic 3DO. A console that failed. Just like the Dreamcast. Just like the X-Box will (that's what stupid Edge said anyway).

Stupid stupid Edge. Buy GamesTM.
Thu 23/01/03 at 20:44
Regular
"me smart, u dork bi"
It's a console running on a modified Linux OS so all linux games could possibly downloaded it has no physical drive (e.g cd/dvd drive) so games would probally be stored on a hard-drive. Expect this to be a more 'Hardcore' console like the neo-geo rather than mainstrem one's like the xbox gamecube and the other one:).prices have been discussed on other forums expect about a £400-£600 price with the games being charged on a pay-per-play basis. Hope this helps anybody out. One more thing this could quite possibly be the Indrema project which was abandanded last year.
Fri 24/01/03 at 11:05
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
So, a console where everything has to be downloaded (broadband essential then), that costs 400 - 600, and that will not be aimed at the mainstream...oh yes I want one of those please :P

~~Belldandy~~
Fri 24/01/03 at 11:28
Regular
That sux

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.