GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Pirates?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 21/01/02 at 14:50
Regular
Why do we call video software thieves "pirates"?
They don't sail about on boats, they don't say "Arrrr" at all and they don't have big hats with skull & crossbones on.

Most, I would imagine, are pasty nerds in darkened bedrooms somewhere, taking a break from startrek.com to distribute the latest game to each other.
So why "Pirates".
It gives it a glamorous name, one of danget and intrigue.
If they were called "Spotty no-mates" then the industry would die out in a second.
CNN reported on dawn raids at "pirates homes by armed officers".
Is that not...well...pointless? Do you need armed policemen to seize some wide-eyed Net Nerd? Just drag him into the sunlight and watch the reactions (much like a Vampire. But a crap, geek one.)

I just laugh whenever you see these "Hackers" in news stories.
They are invariably mid-twenties blokes with a crap spider-leg moustache and a computer game t-shirt on.
And they call themselves cool things like "Neo" and "Wolfstalker", because "Alan" and "Brian" just don't sound cyber-cool enough.

Watch The Matrix Revisited, the fans section on the DVD.
They look *exactly* how you think computer obsessed hackers would do.
A bit like a Star Trek convention, but with less appeal.

So to eradicate the piracy industry, stop giving them cool names.
Call it "Pasty Virgin Game Swapping" and it'll die in a week.
Mon 21/01/02 at 15:32
Regular
I'd probably become one so I have the excuse to terrorise children in a false beard and hook.

But I'd get laughed at.
Mon 21/01/02 at 16:07
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Maybe it's because pirates used to STEAL the WELL EARNED money of other ships by SELLING THEIR GOODS... which is what piracy is about?

Sonic
Mon 21/01/02 at 16:07
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Maybe it's because pirates used to STEAL the WELL EARNED money of other ships by SELLING THEIR GOODS... which is what piracy is about?

Sonic
Mon 21/01/02 at 16:20
Regular
"¬_¬"
Congrats on the GAD win, sonic
Mon 21/01/02 at 18:49
Regular
"I am Bumf Ucked"
Grandprix wrote:
I Cheese. :D

You called?
Mon 21/01/02 at 19:09
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
Interesting.
Hackers are the ones that annoy me. They think they are really cool because they can hack things.

One example is of a boy who "hacked" into our school network recently. All he did was take advantage of the default password system that hadn't been changed in some teachers accounts and thieved "printer credits".

A bit sad really. They think they are cool but it just seems pathetic.

Pirates are not as bad in my opinion. You get this group of people as well in my school. They download stuff on their cable/adsl connections and sell it on. Sounds like dealers to me. Maybe that's what they should be called... C Dealers.. kind of a nice ring to it hey :)
Mon 21/01/02 at 19:40
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
:o)

Why call people bent? Are the actually bent? Pirates, wonderful people "Ohh arrr!"
Mon 21/01/02 at 20:55
Regular
"Conversation Killer"
speaking of pirates
UP THE GAS
Mon 21/01/02 at 20:58
pirates rule....arrr she mateys!!!

(lol)

i think the pirate copies are cool!!!

pirates and prirate copies rule!!

both rule!!

(BIT OV A DUM MESSAGE FROM ME :)

LOL!

CHRIS
Mon 21/01/02 at 21:04
Regular
Surely start calling Pirates, Poo Pipe Pirates that should put a lot of them off doing it, suppose some of them may take it as a compliment though hmm....

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.