GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Pirates?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 21/01/02 at 14:50
Regular
Why do we call video software thieves "pirates"?
They don't sail about on boats, they don't say "Arrrr" at all and they don't have big hats with skull & crossbones on.

Most, I would imagine, are pasty nerds in darkened bedrooms somewhere, taking a break from startrek.com to distribute the latest game to each other.
So why "Pirates".
It gives it a glamorous name, one of danget and intrigue.
If they were called "Spotty no-mates" then the industry would die out in a second.
CNN reported on dawn raids at "pirates homes by armed officers".
Is that not...well...pointless? Do you need armed policemen to seize some wide-eyed Net Nerd? Just drag him into the sunlight and watch the reactions (much like a Vampire. But a crap, geek one.)

I just laugh whenever you see these "Hackers" in news stories.
They are invariably mid-twenties blokes with a crap spider-leg moustache and a computer game t-shirt on.
And they call themselves cool things like "Neo" and "Wolfstalker", because "Alan" and "Brian" just don't sound cyber-cool enough.

Watch The Matrix Revisited, the fans section on the DVD.
They look *exactly* how you think computer obsessed hackers would do.
A bit like a Star Trek convention, but with less appeal.

So to eradicate the piracy industry, stop giving them cool names.
Call it "Pasty Virgin Game Swapping" and it'll die in a week.
Mon 21/01/02 at 14:50
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Why do we call video software thieves "pirates"?
They don't sail about on boats, they don't say "Arrrr" at all and they don't have big hats with skull & crossbones on.

Most, I would imagine, are pasty nerds in darkened bedrooms somewhere, taking a break from startrek.com to distribute the latest game to each other.
So why "Pirates".
It gives it a glamorous name, one of danget and intrigue.
If they were called "Spotty no-mates" then the industry would die out in a second.
CNN reported on dawn raids at "pirates homes by armed officers".
Is that not...well...pointless? Do you need armed policemen to seize some wide-eyed Net Nerd? Just drag him into the sunlight and watch the reactions (much like a Vampire. But a crap, geek one.)

I just laugh whenever you see these "Hackers" in news stories.
They are invariably mid-twenties blokes with a crap spider-leg moustache and a computer game t-shirt on.
And they call themselves cool things like "Neo" and "Wolfstalker", because "Alan" and "Brian" just don't sound cyber-cool enough.

Watch The Matrix Revisited, the fans section on the DVD.
They look *exactly* how you think computer obsessed hackers would do.
A bit like a Star Trek convention, but with less appeal.

So to eradicate the piracy industry, stop giving them cool names.
Call it "Pasty Virgin Game Swapping" and it'll die in a week.
Mon 21/01/02 at 14:53
Regular
"not dead"
Pirates (THE SEA-FARING KIND) are cool.

I have Lego pirates on my window sill at home. I stole them from my brother.

The thing is, with a hook for a hand, they'd suck at video-game piracy, as they'd scratch all of the CD's they tried to copy onto.
Mon 21/01/02 at 14:58
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Exactly.
The word "Piracy" is just wrong on so many levels.
As are movies about The Internet.
New Millenium versions of Skateboard/Breakdance movies.
Mon 21/01/02 at 15:03
Regular
"not dead"
I don't think I've ever seen a movie about the internet, because it's just not something interesting enough to make a movie about.

So are they making a 'Breakdance 3' or something? That would suck.

I don't even remember the first two.
Mon 21/01/02 at 15:03
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
Pirates (sea) are great. Monkey Island is a classic wimpy pirate winning over a dead pirate. I Cheese. :D
Mon 21/01/02 at 15:09
Regular
Goatboy wrote:
> Why do we call video software thieves "pirates"?
They don't sail
> about on boats, they don't say "Arrrr" at all and they don't have big
> hats with skull & crossbones on.

Can I just correct you there, please?
I know a game pirate who actually has a boat, says "arrr" a lot AND has the hat as mentioned.
He also has a wooden leg, a parrot called 'Polly' (who always seems to want a cracker{?}), and a heart condition (he's always complaining - "Arrr, me heartie!").
One other thing, the old geezer won't accept your English Pounds at all, he'll only accept 20 gold coins in a cloth bag.

does good copies too...
Mon 21/01/02 at 15:10
Regular
"not dead"
And computer viruses.

What's with calling one type of the 'a trojan'?

I mean, how exciting does that sound?

Call it a 'silly gay thing' and no one would want to create then anymore.
Mon 21/01/02 at 15:15
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Call a rose a 'Stench-blossom' and nobody will buy them, either.

Call money 'processed colon extracts'though, and people will still want it.
Mon 21/01/02 at 15:15
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
They should legalise piracy, under the condition that all 'Pirates' have to dress up like a 16th century Blackbeard.
Mon 21/01/02 at 15:18
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Yes.
Nobody would mind then would they?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.