GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"*The Game That Got You Into Gaming*"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 20/01/02 at 16:06
Regular
What was the game that got you into gaming?
What was the first game you played through that made you think "WOW", this is bloody good?

For me it was Crazy Taxi on the Dreamcast - (I've not been playing videogames for very long!).
When I first saw the graphics and actually got to grips with the control, I was hooked.
I was amazed by the scale of the cities and the personalities of the customers.
I became addicted to speeding along the sunny San Francisco streets performing Crazy Dashes and Crazy Drifts and generally sussing out the quickest routes to the various destinations.
Being new to gaming at the time, I wasn't very good, in fact I was probably really bad, but I became so enthralled by the gameplay that over the space of a few weeks I eventually started to master it.
The day I got my first Crazy License is a day I'll never forget. I'm serious! For me it was a big achievement, because up until a few weeks prior I had never even picked up a joypad, never mind played a game.

And this is what I like about videogames: I like the fact that you can buy into new and unusual worlds.
I'm playing Rez at the moment, and if ever there was a new and unusual world, this game has it!
I also like the way you can do things in games that you can't possibly do in real life: like driving a taxi like a lunatic. It's the fantasy of it all. All personal problems and hassles just go flying out of the window once you start playing a game you love.
And even though many games are tricky to get to grips with at first, there is always room for mastership - this is what got me hooked on Crazy Taxi - well that and the atmosphere and character of the cities.

Since then I've never looked back.
I know some think that it's peculiar for a girl to be into videogames in such a big way.
But I don't care. There are probably many many more of us out there than you think.
And I like all types of games: adventures, beat-em-ups, racers, shooters, but my favourites are always games that are brimming with character like Crazy Taxi and Jet Set Radio which can be mastered and which are fun.
Anyway, I'm rambling now, so I'll shut up!

So back to the point, I was just wondering: which game initially got you into gaming?
Sun 20/01/02 at 16:06
Regular
What was the game that got you into gaming?
What was the first game you played through that made you think "WOW", this is bloody good?

For me it was Crazy Taxi on the Dreamcast - (I've not been playing videogames for very long!).
When I first saw the graphics and actually got to grips with the control, I was hooked.
I was amazed by the scale of the cities and the personalities of the customers.
I became addicted to speeding along the sunny San Francisco streets performing Crazy Dashes and Crazy Drifts and generally sussing out the quickest routes to the various destinations.
Being new to gaming at the time, I wasn't very good, in fact I was probably really bad, but I became so enthralled by the gameplay that over the space of a few weeks I eventually started to master it.
The day I got my first Crazy License is a day I'll never forget. I'm serious! For me it was a big achievement, because up until a few weeks prior I had never even picked up a joypad, never mind played a game.

And this is what I like about videogames: I like the fact that you can buy into new and unusual worlds.
I'm playing Rez at the moment, and if ever there was a new and unusual world, this game has it!
I also like the way you can do things in games that you can't possibly do in real life: like driving a taxi like a lunatic. It's the fantasy of it all. All personal problems and hassles just go flying out of the window once you start playing a game you love.
And even though many games are tricky to get to grips with at first, there is always room for mastership - this is what got me hooked on Crazy Taxi - well that and the atmosphere and character of the cities.

Since then I've never looked back.
I know some think that it's peculiar for a girl to be into videogames in such a big way.
But I don't care. There are probably many many more of us out there than you think.
And I like all types of games: adventures, beat-em-ups, racers, shooters, but my favourites are always games that are brimming with character like Crazy Taxi and Jet Set Radio which can be mastered and which are fun.
Anyway, I'm rambling now, so I'll shut up!

So back to the point, I was just wondering: which game initially got you into gaming?
Sun 20/01/02 at 16:13
Regular
"everyone says it"
My game would have to be the old Game&Watch I played when I was about 2 years old.

Mario Cement Factory I think.. then I started playing on my dad's BBC in 1988 at 3 years old... I remember Pengu and Chuckie Egg..

Those were the games.
Sun 20/01/02 at 16:16
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Nes. Mario.

Mm, I love him :o)

The first console I actually bought with my own cash was N64, way back in 1998. After playing Goldeneye round a mates I just had to have it, so I saved, and bought. Oh the memories...
Sun 20/01/02 at 16:25
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
Mario Cement Factory - I had that too! Think I got it for doing well in my exams or something.

First thing I played cold be a toss up between three systems. Firstly, my brothers had a Spectrum and I played on that alot, but there's another system I think we had before it. It was one of Cleco's systems, with stuff like Night Driver and good old Pong varients. Then there was this third system which was a bit like a huge torch and projected the game you were playing onto the wall. It had really crude Pong clones and rubbish driving games too.
Sun 20/01/02 at 16:26
Regular
Road Rash on the Mega Drive I was about 8 i think.
I bought my mega drive just for that
Sun 20/01/02 at 16:29
Regular
Correction.. Santa bought me my mega drive just for that game
Sun 20/01/02 at 16:40
We got an Atari ST when I was a nipper, back then it was games like Double Dragon, Kick off, Space Harrier that got me playing oh and Gauntlet of course, classic game!

Then I drifted a bit from gaming, still played, just not as much - but the release of Street Fighter 2 on the Super Nintendo heralded my full time return to gaming.

I rule at Street Fighter, I could kick all your a*ses! One handed!

ITs true, I've not been beaten for years!
Sun 20/01/02 at 17:40
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
SabreWulf ZX Spectrum.
The Hobbit Zx Spectrum along with it.
Sun 20/01/02 at 17:42
Regular
"You've upset me"
Super Mario World on the SNES. First game I ever played... and I still love it. It's my all time favourite.
Sun 20/01/02 at 17:42
Regular
"es argh"
Must be Sonic on the Megadrive for me.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.