GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"*The Game That Got You Into Gaming*"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 20/01/02 at 16:06
Regular
What was the game that got you into gaming?
What was the first game you played through that made you think "WOW", this is bloody good?

For me it was Crazy Taxi on the Dreamcast - (I've not been playing videogames for very long!).
When I first saw the graphics and actually got to grips with the control, I was hooked.
I was amazed by the scale of the cities and the personalities of the customers.
I became addicted to speeding along the sunny San Francisco streets performing Crazy Dashes and Crazy Drifts and generally sussing out the quickest routes to the various destinations.
Being new to gaming at the time, I wasn't very good, in fact I was probably really bad, but I became so enthralled by the gameplay that over the space of a few weeks I eventually started to master it.
The day I got my first Crazy License is a day I'll never forget. I'm serious! For me it was a big achievement, because up until a few weeks prior I had never even picked up a joypad, never mind played a game.

And this is what I like about videogames: I like the fact that you can buy into new and unusual worlds.
I'm playing Rez at the moment, and if ever there was a new and unusual world, this game has it!
I also like the way you can do things in games that you can't possibly do in real life: like driving a taxi like a lunatic. It's the fantasy of it all. All personal problems and hassles just go flying out of the window once you start playing a game you love.
And even though many games are tricky to get to grips with at first, there is always room for mastership - this is what got me hooked on Crazy Taxi - well that and the atmosphere and character of the cities.

Since then I've never looked back.
I know some think that it's peculiar for a girl to be into videogames in such a big way.
But I don't care. There are probably many many more of us out there than you think.
And I like all types of games: adventures, beat-em-ups, racers, shooters, but my favourites are always games that are brimming with character like Crazy Taxi and Jet Set Radio which can be mastered and which are fun.
Anyway, I'm rambling now, so I'll shut up!

So back to the point, I was just wondering: which game initially got you into gaming?
Tue 22/01/02 at 10:06
"slightlyshortertagl"
Sonic1 on the Mega Drive.. i clearly remmeber unpacking my MegaDriveand playing Sonic FIRST.. that was sooooooooooo good...
Tue 22/01/02 at 10:02
Regular
International Superstar Soccer on the Snes.
The first time I played I thought: this is the business!
Passing it around with ease, and you could score brilliant goals.
The graphics where excellent for the time as well.
Mon 21/01/02 at 12:54
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Moon Patrol on the Atari... And the original Pac Man console ( the big Yella one!!)
Mon 21/01/02 at 12:54
Regular
"Tag as above"
pb wrote:
> Tanks. No, I don't mean thanks, I mean Tanks on the Atari VCS. Used to play it
> with a friend of mine and with my brother, really impressed me at the time that
> you could have so much fun blowing other people up!

The VCS had it's fair
> share of hits and it really got me in to the home gaming lark.

It was Tanks for me too, but on the BBC, shortly after I got Revs and I was dune for.
Mon 21/01/02 at 12:47
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
I was into coding the speccy, but wasnt really into it until sonic 1 on the Master System. That's the one that reeled me in.
Mon 21/01/02 at 12:00
Regular
"I confused?"
Dizzy's treasure island.
Mon 21/01/02 at 11:59
Regular
I am the Tarrant wrote:

"ITs true, I've not been beaten for years!"

I'm relatively unbeatable too... well, I do live in Pembrokeshire, where we've just finally had the Star Wars Arcade machine installed. Vector graphics rule.

But still, would be cool to have a Street Fighter 2 tournament with you lot.

First game... hmmm... can't remember the name of it, hang on.

Uridium. Space shooter on the C64... everything about it was just so cool.
Mon 21/01/02 at 10:14
Regular
"  "
arrr no....my mistake That should be HUNT the wumpus....heh...not hump....:|
Mon 21/01/02 at 10:13
Regular
"  "
hump the wumpus and pac man..... :)
Mon 21/01/02 at 10:07
Regular
Mortal Combat in the arcades - Inspired me to buy a SNES and Megadrive.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.