GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Morrowind, Gamezfreaks first thoughts."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind'.
Sun 26/01/03 at 17:23
Regular
Well, Yesterday I was a very busy bee indeed. Firstly having to wake up at 9:30am to go to a guitar lesson, Then my paper round, Then I got paid the cash I needed to buy this RPG that loads of people was raving about. My quest was varied, Treacherous and incredibly frustrating. Here’s the story of how I eventually got this damn game.

Ok, after having a rather interesting and creative guitar lesson I decided to drag my mates to Nottingham, Obviously to buy Morrowind. I cut out my handy GAME 10% off voucher and caught the bus. Now, Nottingham has 2 Major GAME stores so finding the game shouldn’t be that difficult (So I thought) As usual Nottingham was packed with customers fighting over Sale items like hungry vermin. Trying to get to the first GAME was a major problem. Anyway, We got there and I looked at the Xbox area.... No sign of Morrowind, Ok, I looked at the Pre-owned section.... No sign of Morrowind, Ok, I'll ask one of the dopey assistants: -

"What? No I dunno where Morrowind is, Probably out of stock"

*Sigh* So I had to make my way up to the other GAME, Stopping for a Maccy D's on the way of course, Just to replenish my Fatigue and Health. I looked at the Xbox area...Again, No sign of Morrowind, until I asked the assistant; He was very helpful and got the last one from the storage area! Woohoo! Using my 10% off I paid for it and legged it home, catching the local Bus strider service of course.

Enough of the journey, Lets get down to business, Morrowind is one of the coolest RPG's I have ever played. Throw away your Dungeons and Dragons box set (if you have one?) and buy this game. Firstly its Huge, I emphasize the word huge, but that’s a good thing, you get a vast world to explore and interact with! Although it is kind of overwhelming at first, quite a few things to learn and loads to do.

One thing that makes this game great (So far) is the fact that you are free to do whatever the duck you like. Want to kill someone? Sure do it, But you’ll get sent to jail. Want to steal stuff? Go ahead! Don't get caught though! Want to sleep in someone else’s bed? You do that! Hey, I've only been playing it for 2 days and I’m haling it as the best RPG I’ve played in a long time!

I'm the ARGONIAN type, Who is a lizard/human type creature who walks strange (I swear, It looks like he’s bricked himself) Anyway at the moment I’m just leveling up getting myself ready for any threats that may arrive. Another thing I’d like to comment on is the graphics of the game, although there is vast amounts of fogging they are actually VERY well presented, ESPECIALLY the water just look at it when it’s raining!

Just recently I befriended a dude called Fargoth, Then I gained a "sub quest" from another bloke to find and steal Fargoths stuff, Waiting until nightfall I had to stay at the lighthouse and keep watch for Fargoth to see where he goes. The feeling of betrayal is great whilst nicking all Fargoths items :-)

Great things that I’ve seen so far? Silt Striders - Huge fleas that are amazing to gawp at, Huge Mushrooms - They look erm great! Large structures that look amazing!

Damn this game is so good, Buy it now kids. Just thought you'd like to know, Oh and you get a Map! :-)
Sat 01/02/03 at 09:09
Regular
Gridloch wrote:
> fire! powerful demon! is it like your own personal Balrog :)

Steady on. I wish it was a personal 60ft balrog, but it's still good - the Fire Atronach looks like a demonic mage and it blasts fiery explosions at your opponents.

You can also summon a Frost Atronach and a Storm Atronach, as well as loads of other magical creatures.

You can buy "summoning spells" from people in the Mages Guild, and if you want to use them you have to have a high "conjuration" level.
Fri 31/01/03 at 08:52
"For the horde!!!!"
Nomad $oul wrote:

>
> My magical level is such that I can summon any supernatural beast that
> I so desire. :-)
>
> "The amulet of Ignis" [if you can find it] is very good -
> let's you suumon a fire atronach - powerful demon that one.

fire! powerful demon! is it like your own personal Balrog :)
Thu 30/01/03 at 21:12
Regular
Pfft.

*looks at Graveyard Amulet*

*Looks at Nomad Souls description of magical powers*

Show off ;-)
Thu 30/01/03 at 21:04
Regular
gamezfreak wrote:
> GTA3 of the RPG genre - Simplest way of putting it.
>
> In the meantime whats the best magic item you have found? Mine has to
> be the "Graveyard Amulet" It lets you summon a skeleton for
> aid in battle.

My magical level is such that I can summon any supernatural beast that I so desire. :-)

"The amulet of Ignis" [if you can find it] is very good - let's you suumon a fire atronach - powerful demon that one.
Thu 30/01/03 at 21:01
"For the horde!!!!"
I just started with a Argonian (a beast race) but i might not equip an helm anyway because unarmored is one of my major skills.
Thu 30/01/03 at 21:00
Regular
Forgot to mention graphics and combat.

The graphics are very good taking into account the vastness of the gameworld. The weather and the changing of the light is excellent. The interiors are perhaps a little bland if I was to be critical.
The frame-rate stutters from time to time, and there's quite a lot of fade up - the gameworld is generally shrouded in a mist, but it's quite a distant mist.

The combat at first [when your character is weak] is not very good. Basically, you just get the living daylights beaten out of you, but as you level-up, become more powerful and get some decent weapons and magical items, the combat improves considerably. I can now take out 'flying things' with a near perfect cross-bow shot and my long swordmanship is virtually unbeatable.
Thu 30/01/03 at 20:54
Regular
GTA3 of the RPG genre - Simplest way of putting it.

In the meantime whats the best magic item you have found? Mine has to be the "Graveyard Amulet" It lets you summon a skeleton for aid in battle.
Thu 30/01/03 at 20:45
Regular
Savatt78 wrote:
> Hmmmmmmm, starting to wonder if I should look into this game. ;-)
> I felt a little put off it at first, but I'd be interested to hear
> more things about what you lot have been getting upto in the game.
> :-)

You can basically do most things that are possible in the old Dungeons & Dragons board games. Stuff like levitate, water-walking, invisibility, pick locks, weild magical weapons [like a dagger which paralyses an opponent], wear magical items [like a ring which summons a skeletal warrior to aid you in combat], etc. There's loads of gear to steal and find, and eventually you can even create your own personalized magical items and weapons.

You can join Guilds [the Thief's Guild, the Fighter's Guild, the Mage's Guild, etc], and by fulfilling diverse quests given to you by members, you can rise in the ranks and eventually become the overall leader.

There is a main quest which places you as the possible messiah figure, and there are loads of incidental mini-quests that you can just stumble upon - helping people in trouble, etc.

At first I was totally daunted by the vast landscape of Morrowind, but slowly I discovered what it was all about, and now I'd rate it as one of the best games I've ever played - and I'm someone who has never liked RPGs.

If you want you can just look at the map, see an island and just head there and explore. I've stumbled across shipwrecks, ancient ruins, vampires in underground tombs - excellent stuff!

I think the main problem with it is that it demands a lot of time - now this either a good thing or a bad thing depending on the individual.

I could go on and on - there's so much that's happened in the 200 hundred odd hours that I've been playing it, but I'll stop here.... :-)
Thu 30/01/03 at 18:40
Regular
Beast races can wear helmets, Only certain types mind.
Thu 30/01/03 at 17:01
"For the horde!!!!"
dose it matter what armor type you use i mean heavy armor is proberly great if you have skill in it but it's also heavy, medium armor appeals to me more and maybe it's wise to have unarmoured as a minor skill.
any feed back would be great.
one observation i found is beast races can't wear helms aaaagghhhhh but on a good note maybe unarmored skill could be built up because of this and unarmored as no damage degration.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.