GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The GBA doesn't light up my life!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 26/01/03 at 20:40
Regular
The GBA is great piece of kit. but i was disappointed to find out that it didn't have a backlit screen. But I do understand that Nintendo didn't put one in because they wanted to save battery life and get more hours of play. This was a good descision, because previous handheld consoles have failed because they did not give enough hours of play (eg. the Sega Gamegear). Anyway I have tried different types of lights and each one of them gives glare, which i don't like. Today I was searching through some magazines and i came across an advert for the "Afterburner Internal Light System". I want to buy one of these and install it into my GBA but I have no experience at all with electronics. Have any of you lot bought one of these and installed it yourselves? If so, did you find it hard and do you think that someone with no electronic experience will be able to install one successfully without messing up the GBA and by doing so destroying the warrenty? Got any tips on installing it? I need advice!
Fri 31/01/03 at 10:15
Regular
Buy the AfterBurner from www.Lik-Sang.com. It the cheapest I can find. They also sell pre cut front panels if you dont fancy carving your own panel up, Lik -Sang include the special screw driver in the afterburner kit to open the GBA, at no extra price. Install is easy if you are competant at soldering. The most concerning bit is when you need to stick some anti reflective (AR) film to the LCD! I managed to do it without getting any dust or pubes trapped underneath, phew! Having patience is the biggest tool you will need for the job. Even if you get a few crumbs between the front screen and the new internal light, you can reopen your game boy and blow them out with a can of compressed air from maplins or something. The results are bloody mavelous!! You may start to think that your GBA will never be the same but as soon as you switch on there is no going back, it's brilliant!
Wed 29/01/03 at 22:04
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
No problem.

And no, I don't mind, I'm 15.
Wed 29/01/03 at 21:43
Great! I think I will order it on Friday! Thanks for the help Microchips. By the way if you dont mind me asking, how old are you!
Wed 29/01/03 at 20:08
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
I haven't checked Triton recently, but anyway:

- Keep all the parts that you have taken out of the GBA in zip-up bags, to prevent dust sticking to them.

-Use a SMALL soldering iron

- Have at least 2 hours free time on your hands.

And it turned out great! :D
Tue 28/01/03 at 21:35
Microchips wrote:
> Tyrant wrote:
> I don't do electronics but I do do physics. They do give
> instructions
> with it so I guess I will buy it. Thanks for the help Microchips!
>
>
>
> No problem. I installed one myself, I can give you a few tips to help
> reduce dust etc, if you do decide to install.
>
> :)

How did it turn out?

I've just printed out some instructions from www.tritonlabs.com and it looks complicated.
What are the tips?
Tue 28/01/03 at 09:28
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Tyrant wrote:
> I don't do electronics but I do do physics. They do give instructions
> with it so I guess I will buy it. Thanks for the help Microchips!

No problem. I installed one myself, I can give you a few tips to help reduce dust etc, if you do decide to install.

:)
Mon 27/01/03 at 22:15
Regular
gerrid wrote:
> Microchips wrote:
> For £30 more, you get the GBASP. Problem solved!
>
> Then that's thirty squids down the drain, isn't it.
> You could buy a game or two with that.

Not if he sells the gba he has - when he has the sp, he won't need two. Maybe could shift an unwanted game or two with it, I'm sure he could cover £30.
Well, it might be difficult if he waits until the SP is actually launched...
Mon 27/01/03 at 21:32
I don't do electronics but I do do physics. They do give instructions with it so I guess I will buy it. Thanks for the help Microchips!
Mon 27/01/03 at 21:03
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
It depends. I do electronics at school, and it's highly enjoyable. i would suggest that if you take electronics/physics you should be fine. Oh, and if you find it interesting (obviously you do) then there's nothing really stopping you.

:)
Mon 27/01/03 at 20:48
Thanks for your advice, its been very useful and I think will get an SP. It looks great and it folds up too. But I was thinking, when I,m older I want to go into a career in electronics so I figure I've got to start somewhere, right? Or is that a bad idea!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.