GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Remake Metal Gear"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance'.
Mon 27/01/03 at 20:00
Regular
Just a thought really.

Seeing how 'Metal Gear Solid 2' wasn't as good as we expected it to be but gained its success anyway, I was wondering what would have actually been the ultimate Metal Gear Solid experience Mr. Kojima was trying to establish? Then I got it!

Why not create a hybrid of both Metal Gear titles, taking away the good and bad bits to leave an almost perfect game? Here's how it would work.

Let's take a look at what was wrong with MGS2.

Firstly, its storyline spoilt a perfectly good previous one and it didn't allow you to control its previous star...basically a recipe for disaster for any sequel. The whole Raiden contribution wasn't too bad, but it wasn't too great either, and undoubtedly the game would have been more fun if Solid Snake could have been controlled more often. That is why most preferred the first ship level to the rest of the game, because of Solid Snake and one other thing...the Plant levels. They were incredibly dull and lacked hardly anything exciting that made the previous game so good. Despite all this, MGS2 still played and looked very good.

So quite simply, what we want here is the original Metal Gear game with certain attributes of its sequel, which is basically the stunning visuals, cinematic effects, outstanding enemy AI and incredibly innovative gameplay. The original lacked a lot of invention in its gameplay and the enemy AI wasn't so good, so simply transferring this over would suit the game well.

I prefer the first Metal Gear to the second for a number of reasons. When I first experienced the intense atmosphere of MGS2 and saw the fantastic graphics, and realistic effects, it seemed a definite beater to its predecessor, then experimenting with its fantastic gameplay rounded everything off...for then. As I got further and further in the game (past the tanker level I think it was) my whole interest seemed to be gradually withering away and it was now as if I was forcing myself to complete my newly purchased game. I mean, Raiden? I wouldn't have been able to tell his gender if it wasn't for the prestigious bulge in his swimwear. "Where was Snake?" I kept asking myself. Then, I went further on and the storyline started getting dodgy and MGS2 turned from a game of genius to a practically duller version of its predecessor.

Come on! What happened to such great moments like when Snake had to rub Ketchup on his chest to pretend he was dead or when he had to infiltrate the Metal Gear hideout through tough, snowy terrain? Where had all the ideas gone? All MGS2 did was introduce new characters to the plot rather than really adding any spice to it like previously. I mean, Patriots?? What the..? What kind of bull storyline is that? I don't know about you, but I preferred the "normal" plot the original had rather than something that could barely be understood.

That is why I think this is a very good idea. 'Metal Gear Solid' delivered a thrilling experience due to its fantastic storyline and intense gameplay. Its sequel couldn't produce such a good plot, but it did wonders with the gameplay and graphics. So basically, I can't see why the original shouldn't be re-made. With the added brilliance of its sequel's tremendous graphics and gameplay it's sure to shut the mouths of all Metal Gear Solid critics as well as give fans of the saga a well-deserved experience.

Obviously, it'll have to have little extras in it like maybe VR missions or maybe even a two player battle mode, but surely if my idea is currently in the mind of Mr. Kojima himself, there will be a lot of happy gamers out there.

Thanks for reading
Mon 27/01/03 at 20:00
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
Just a thought really.

Seeing how 'Metal Gear Solid 2' wasn't as good as we expected it to be but gained its success anyway, I was wondering what would have actually been the ultimate Metal Gear Solid experience Mr. Kojima was trying to establish? Then I got it!

Why not create a hybrid of both Metal Gear titles, taking away the good and bad bits to leave an almost perfect game? Here's how it would work.

Let's take a look at what was wrong with MGS2.

Firstly, its storyline spoilt a perfectly good previous one and it didn't allow you to control its previous star...basically a recipe for disaster for any sequel. The whole Raiden contribution wasn't too bad, but it wasn't too great either, and undoubtedly the game would have been more fun if Solid Snake could have been controlled more often. That is why most preferred the first ship level to the rest of the game, because of Solid Snake and one other thing...the Plant levels. They were incredibly dull and lacked hardly anything exciting that made the previous game so good. Despite all this, MGS2 still played and looked very good.

So quite simply, what we want here is the original Metal Gear game with certain attributes of its sequel, which is basically the stunning visuals, cinematic effects, outstanding enemy AI and incredibly innovative gameplay. The original lacked a lot of invention in its gameplay and the enemy AI wasn't so good, so simply transferring this over would suit the game well.

I prefer the first Metal Gear to the second for a number of reasons. When I first experienced the intense atmosphere of MGS2 and saw the fantastic graphics, and realistic effects, it seemed a definite beater to its predecessor, then experimenting with its fantastic gameplay rounded everything off...for then. As I got further and further in the game (past the tanker level I think it was) my whole interest seemed to be gradually withering away and it was now as if I was forcing myself to complete my newly purchased game. I mean, Raiden? I wouldn't have been able to tell his gender if it wasn't for the prestigious bulge in his swimwear. "Where was Snake?" I kept asking myself. Then, I went further on and the storyline started getting dodgy and MGS2 turned from a game of genius to a practically duller version of its predecessor.

Come on! What happened to such great moments like when Snake had to rub Ketchup on his chest to pretend he was dead or when he had to infiltrate the Metal Gear hideout through tough, snowy terrain? Where had all the ideas gone? All MGS2 did was introduce new characters to the plot rather than really adding any spice to it like previously. I mean, Patriots?? What the..? What kind of bull storyline is that? I don't know about you, but I preferred the "normal" plot the original had rather than something that could barely be understood.

That is why I think this is a very good idea. 'Metal Gear Solid' delivered a thrilling experience due to its fantastic storyline and intense gameplay. Its sequel couldn't produce such a good plot, but it did wonders with the gameplay and graphics. So basically, I can't see why the original shouldn't be re-made. With the added brilliance of its sequel's tremendous graphics and gameplay it's sure to shut the mouths of all Metal Gear Solid critics as well as give fans of the saga a well-deserved experience.

Obviously, it'll have to have little extras in it like maybe VR missions or maybe even a two player battle mode, but surely if my idea is currently in the mind of Mr. Kojima himself, there will be a lot of happy gamers out there.

Thanks for reading
Mon 27/01/03 at 20:10
"period drama"
Substance should be the game MGS2 SHOULD have been.
I think we whould just forget MGS2 altogether
It now goes :
*MGS
*Substance

That's it
Mon 27/01/03 at 20:32
hey bonafide stuff if u wanna win something go to ukreviews and register well still thank for the advice everyone looks up to substance that s already out.
Mon 27/01/03 at 21:10
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
Sorry I don't understand the Unipholoreanic language you speak of.

Substance eh FFF? Forgot about that somehow. I don't think it'll be as good though. I say remake the first one!

I'm on my knees
Mon 27/01/03 at 22:19
"period drama"
Nah, I think MGS is just perfect the way it is.
If Konami remake it, they'll probably lose a few fans thinking it's a rip-off and MGS is their one good game they've got - they're just milking it as much as possible.
But it would still get lapped up - I would buy it just to see what they've done. It is a truely great story, either way.

What if they re-did the really old Metal Gears? I only recently found out they existed, but surely they're great? It's Metal blummin Gear friggin Solid.

You've gotta say Subsatnce looks promising - there's so many extra stuff in there - the new missions within the levels, return of VR missions, swapping all the characters around. Loads of stuff.
I was a little cynical at first, as were most, but there's something about MGS (I've no idea what) that just gets you all exited. You want every but f the action, to see everything they've come up with.
I loved the MGS2 story (up until the last 'moral' bit) and the characters are probably the best in any game.
Mon 27/01/03 at 23:50
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
I think Vamp should have his own game series as a spin off.

"Vamp Tales"

MGS2 has a lot more going for it than people give it credit for. Examples: using the camera to get shots of Metal Gear Ray in the tanker, using the Pacemaker detector to locate whojamacallit in the Oil Platform amongst all the other prisoners, then using it to eavesdrop on Ocelot's conversation afterwards, collecting the dog tags (I'm STILL collecting the dog tags after all this time), the firefight in the Tanker corridor where those Genome soldiers acted SO intelligently, teaming up with Snake near the end for the Ninja shootout and of course the best anti-hero of all time, Vamp himself. I've never seen an ingame character before or since portrayed so brilliantly.

I missed the 'land based' sections of the old MGS, because they allowed a bit more exploration, more free-roaming gameplay, they gave you the impression of a wider space to explore when infact you were probably more confined there than in MGS2, better boss battles (my favourite had to be either Raven's tank bit where you had to throw grenades through the turret or the bit on the Jeep at the end, inspired stuff). Or the bit where you were attacked by Liquid's Hind Gunship on the tower then had to abseil to safety. Humm...lots of good stuff there thinking back.

I think a remake would be good, throw in dog tags with the old MGS and you've got another hit, but I think Hideo is working on other things. MGS3, should it ever come to pass, will, without doubt, be the best game ever, considering that in the meantime it could get influenced by Matrix: Reloaded and other great films that are due for release.
Tue 28/01/03 at 16:09
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
I agree with you totally there FM, but sadly Hideo Kojima announced that MGS2 was to be the last of his project.

I don't think remaking the original on the Playstation would spoil it; I can only see it being improved on. All they need to do is simply add the same graphics as MGS2, the same gameplay and better cinematic moments for MGS's storyline.

I just don't see how this could go wrong.
Tue 28/01/03 at 16:18
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Bonafide wrote:
> I agree with you totally there FM, but sadly Hideo Kojima announced
> that MGS2 was to be the last of his project.

You're in for a shock then :)
http://spong.com/index.asp?art=4330
Tue 28/01/03 at 17:23
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
OMG! That's excellent news!

Cheers for that FM! I'm all excited with anticipation now

:)
Tue 28/01/03 at 17:28
Regular
"Black pepper?"
I didn't really like MGS2, but MG1 ruled. I supose MGS3 would be brill on the PS3.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.