GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Remake Metal Gear"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance'.
Mon 27/01/03 at 20:00
Regular
Just a thought really.

Seeing how 'Metal Gear Solid 2' wasn't as good as we expected it to be but gained its success anyway, I was wondering what would have actually been the ultimate Metal Gear Solid experience Mr. Kojima was trying to establish? Then I got it!

Why not create a hybrid of both Metal Gear titles, taking away the good and bad bits to leave an almost perfect game? Here's how it would work.

Let's take a look at what was wrong with MGS2.

Firstly, its storyline spoilt a perfectly good previous one and it didn't allow you to control its previous star...basically a recipe for disaster for any sequel. The whole Raiden contribution wasn't too bad, but it wasn't too great either, and undoubtedly the game would have been more fun if Solid Snake could have been controlled more often. That is why most preferred the first ship level to the rest of the game, because of Solid Snake and one other thing...the Plant levels. They were incredibly dull and lacked hardly anything exciting that made the previous game so good. Despite all this, MGS2 still played and looked very good.

So quite simply, what we want here is the original Metal Gear game with certain attributes of its sequel, which is basically the stunning visuals, cinematic effects, outstanding enemy AI and incredibly innovative gameplay. The original lacked a lot of invention in its gameplay and the enemy AI wasn't so good, so simply transferring this over would suit the game well.

I prefer the first Metal Gear to the second for a number of reasons. When I first experienced the intense atmosphere of MGS2 and saw the fantastic graphics, and realistic effects, it seemed a definite beater to its predecessor, then experimenting with its fantastic gameplay rounded everything off...for then. As I got further and further in the game (past the tanker level I think it was) my whole interest seemed to be gradually withering away and it was now as if I was forcing myself to complete my newly purchased game. I mean, Raiden? I wouldn't have been able to tell his gender if it wasn't for the prestigious bulge in his swimwear. "Where was Snake?" I kept asking myself. Then, I went further on and the storyline started getting dodgy and MGS2 turned from a game of genius to a practically duller version of its predecessor.

Come on! What happened to such great moments like when Snake had to rub Ketchup on his chest to pretend he was dead or when he had to infiltrate the Metal Gear hideout through tough, snowy terrain? Where had all the ideas gone? All MGS2 did was introduce new characters to the plot rather than really adding any spice to it like previously. I mean, Patriots?? What the..? What kind of bull storyline is that? I don't know about you, but I preferred the "normal" plot the original had rather than something that could barely be understood.

That is why I think this is a very good idea. 'Metal Gear Solid' delivered a thrilling experience due to its fantastic storyline and intense gameplay. Its sequel couldn't produce such a good plot, but it did wonders with the gameplay and graphics. So basically, I can't see why the original shouldn't be re-made. With the added brilliance of its sequel's tremendous graphics and gameplay it's sure to shut the mouths of all Metal Gear Solid critics as well as give fans of the saga a well-deserved experience.

Obviously, it'll have to have little extras in it like maybe VR missions or maybe even a two player battle mode, but surely if my idea is currently in the mind of Mr. Kojima himself, there will be a lot of happy gamers out there.

Thanks for reading
Mon 07/04/03 at 14:51
Regular
"Wots your boggle"
What I dont get is, if Fortune was so desperate to be killed by Raiden and others why the hell was she shooting back at them?
Fri 31/01/03 at 16:56
Regular
O..kay.
Fri 31/01/03 at 16:55
That,s it,but u know is a set something so she wouldn,t even think of jumping into the,but she is really lady luck.
well if she had lauched her self with her gun definetly she would have gone down.
Fri 31/01/03 at 16:44
Regular
She could die, she just never thought about launching herself from one of the walkways down into the sea below.
Thu 30/01/03 at 21:42
Fortunes music some how sad that,s what makes it more intresting because she is so angry because she can,t just die.
Thu 30/01/03 at 21:38
It doesn,t scare me at all, i just appreciate it because of her gun and her sad story even her way of talking
Thu 30/01/03 at 21:02
Regular
Fortune scares me in the way that Richard & Judy and The Wombles scare me.
Wed 29/01/03 at 22:29
I love Fortune,s music.Any time i hear the music in the game i always won,t to cry.
Wed 29/01/03 at 22:12
"period drama"
I loved the MGS2 music.
Well, the opening theme anyway - it really, erm, kindof get me going. It's just the brillinat exiting FEEL of MGS summed up nicely.

But that high-pitched japanese singing crap at the end is just not right.
Wed 29/01/03 at 22:08
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
Cheers mate!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.