GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Is Pokémon the Problem?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 28/01/03 at 11:18
Regular
Personally, althought I've been a fan of Nintendo for over 12 years, I've never even taken the slightest bit of interest in anything Pokémon. I've seen the cartoon on TV and its shoddiness just put me right-off. But when I look around I see it everywhere... And it's not just the videos and video games either, there are now T-shirts, key-rings, bed-spreads, and just about any other product you can think of is BOUND to have been covered in Pokémon at some time within the last few years.

No matter what age they are, kids seem to love this thing. But I just don't get it...
What's so great about a dodgy Japanese cartoon with off-sinc lip movements and an overall appearence that makes it look like it's just come off the back of a lorry!
Seriously, how could Nintendo - the masters behind Mario, Zelda and Metroid - have ever created something so... cheap and lacking in so much quality. But for one reason or another, being the simple-minded human-beings that they are, kids seem to love this ageing craze, just like the Japanese do, at all ages.
So, with Nintendo in control, something this big can't be bad for them... Can it?

If you know Nintendo today, then you'll know where they stand in terms of world-wide popularity; rock-bottom! SONY lead the way with their PlayStations as the coolest guys around, while Bill Gates buys his way into second-place with his Microsoft X-Box and all that PC stuff that every nerd worships him for.
And what do Nintendo have? Well, you'd think that games like the Super Mario and Legend of Zelda series' would've been enough by now to have secured Nintendo's position as No.1 with their experience and know-how of the gaming world spanning at around 20 years right now, wouldn't you? But it's not, thanks to one-too-many so-called "gamers" out there who just want to be like everyone else to fit in and look cool. Idiots...

The sensation known world-wide today as "Pokémon" emerged back in the mid-1990's - at around the same time as SONY and Nintendo went their seperate ways after proposals for a PlayStation add-on for the Super Nintendo, leaving the multi-media giants free to start their own 32-bit console in the form of the `SONY PlayStation`. And with its games to come, including the horrifying Resident Evil series along with the likes of Tomb Raider and some superbly life-like racers, the PSX would soon become the more "mature" console of the lot; whiping out the pricey SEGA Saturn and Nintendo's N64 - despite each console's individual qualities and superiorities over the "trendy" PlayStation.

To me, this is when this whole idea of Nintendo games being "kiddy" and "immature" started, and I do not believe that it is solely down to the arrival and progression of the PlayStation, despite what many people have been saying for the past few years.
I know Pokeémon isn't the first thing you think about when Nintendo comes to mind, but you can't ignore the fact that the whole franchise does seem suitable for only younger audiences after it become the next big thing for kids following-on from crazes of the years before like the Teenage Mutant Ninja/Hero Turtles, and the Power Rangers, for example (both of which I enjoyed as a kid!). Super Mario and even The Legend of Zelda may both seem rather childish to the average eye at times, but after one-too-many ground-breaking games from both these franchises alone, many people have come to see the truth about these titles now, and that they are not as "kiddy" as they may have at first seemed to be, where as Pokémon however IS.

I'm not trying to say that Pokémon is neccesarily a bad thing or anyhing like that, it's just that I believe that Pikachu and Mewtwo and co. and the culprites behind that have helped to give Nintendo such a "different" to that of what it was 10-years-ago in the `Golden Age of Gaming`. By all means, Pokémon has done a hell-of-a-lot for Nintendo in terms of finances and attracting even younger gamers to their work. But somehow it has also managed to spread its lack of maturity falsely onto the faces of Mario, Luigi and Link, along with many others.
I don't think Nintendo should get rid of or "destroy" Pokémon or anything as that would be insane. But what I think they need to do now to shake-off this false image is to distinguish the big-difference between the Pokémon and Mario and co. to make it clear to us all that not all of Nintendo's creative and inspiring bright ideas can be categorised under the exact same headings. I fear that if they don't do something soon, it may be all too-late as the future-generations of gamers come in and ignore Nintendo for the bigger names at the top (SONY and Microsoft).

Nintendo aren't really as kiddy as they may at first seem!
Wed 29/01/03 at 22:51
Regular
Besides Pokemon appeared world wide several years after Playstation and even during the SEGA era Nintendo were seen as the company for the younger gamer... remember Mortal Kombat getting downgraded?
Wed 29/01/03 at 22:48
Regular
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> Solksjaer where do you find the time to write all these blatant GAD
> attempts?

Oi don't diss blatent GAD attempts.
Wed 29/01/03 at 22:11
When it first came out my friend convinced me to play this 'kiddy' game Pokemon Blue and it was the most addictive game I'd played since I got Civ on my good old Amiga 500. As for Nintendo being a 'kiddy' company and needing games like The Getaway, has anyone played Resident Evil on the cube??? I remember being impressed with it on the PSX but I'm utterly blown away by this version. I've only had my cube for s few days and i bought it with Res Evil, Mario and Starfox. As I've got Mario I haven't been able to tear myself away from the little Italian guy long enough to play Res Evil for more than an hour or two so I probably shouldn't comment too much on it but it scares me, looks superb and is pretty damn realistic (you know, apart from all those dead guys walking around and stuff)

So now that I've talked rubbish for five mins lets me recap, pokemon - good, nintendo - not just for kids, Amiga 500 - Missive improvement from the sinclair ZX spectrum.

Thank you:)
Wed 29/01/03 at 20:18
Regular
"$hit happens"
Tyrant wrote:
> I'm just in it for the games too. Ruby and Saphire are going to be
> great!

says it all really, unless you dont like pokemon, that about sums it up,
I think Pokemon is a great RPG advernture, i like games where u build up characters etc
Wed 29/01/03 at 18:41
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
How dare you utter Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Power Rangers in teh same sentance. The Turtles blatantly ruled while Power Rangers had stupid costumes, appalling fight scenes, and enemies that looked like they were made of rubber... oh, wait, they were...

Oh, and Ghostbusters also ruled.

So, in short. Power Rangers were awful. :D
Wed 29/01/03 at 17:41
Regular
Solksjaer where do you find the time to write all these blatant GAD attempts?
Wed 29/01/03 at 16:06
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Put it anyway you like it, the phenomenal amounts of money made from the Pokémon franchise is allowing Nintendo to make more games, use more class second party studios (retro, silicon knights) and anyway, the games rule. Do you see me buying Ruby or Saphire? Yes you do.
To be honest, its the new Pokémon games and Golden Sun 2 that have made me keep my GBA. And the link-up features to Animal Crossing. :D
Wed 29/01/03 at 09:12
Regular
Solskjćr, you clearly haven't played any of the Pokémon games.

The games are class RPG's, well up there with the likes of Mario and Zelda.
And no, the games AREN'T "kiddy" like the Pokémon franchise, just as Mario and Zelda aren't "kiddy" like the franchised cartoons, lunchboxes etc. that came with their fame.

I think you ought to have played Pokémon before deciding whether it's a "kiddy" game.
Tue 28/01/03 at 21:27
I'm just in it for the games too. Ruby and Saphire are going to be great!
Tue 28/01/03 at 21:22
"Wa-wa-west"
Gamefreaks created a brilliant game, its Nintendo's fault for milking it a bit too much. I mean, you don't even see Mario t-shirts that often any more, but even after the Pokemon fad mostly wore off, they're still selling kiddy socks, of all things! I personally can't wait for the new games, but I'm dreading the merchandising and inevitable 12 series' of the show to follow.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.