GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Is Gaming Becoming a Chore?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 18/01/02 at 14:47
Regular
Firstly I must apologise for using the 'C' word on a gaming site.

But maybe the statement is true.

I look down the list of available titles for all the consoles, disappointed. It's quite a rarity nowadays to see a game that makes even the slightest attempt to be original. Developers feel safe with their older franchises, maybe too safe! These older characters have already made their mark... they're a sure-fire hit, and there's little doubt that they'll sell - even if they only attract a limited market.

To quote Nintendo's Prez, Mr. Yamauchi:

"Every game developer is shooting for nothing but realism and flashiness, so we’re seeing an overflow of games that look exactly the same. What does realism and flashiness have to do with fun? If more games with new types of gameplay and fun come on the market, the market will expand, companies will have more support, and there’d be a business to work with."

Now... although I have quite a good head for business - i'm no business mastermind - but to me that makes perfect sense. It's like a car manufacturer releasing the same model with the same specification over and over again. The new BMW 7 series might not look like a TVR Speed 12, or even go as fast as one, but it's a revolutionary masterpiece in terms of what it can do. The features are amazing - and car-lovers will be amazed... something the gamers of today aren't with todays games.

Sure there are games like PIKMIN, Rez and Polaroid Pete which try their best to create a new experience, and in most cases they've worked, but the state of the industry overall is like a loop. New things are just spruced up old ones. Look at GT3. It's a nice game - but the features have been almost halved, and there aren't nearly as many cars! Look at THPS3 - the same old thing. Sure it looks great - and the create-a-park is a good idea, not to mention the on-line play - but still... it's a very over-used lisence, and most people are tired of it. Smackdown is another one. Developers must think that they can leave the innovation to someone else - but like Yamauchi said, if only a few people do it there'll still be a majority of 'samey' games. Every company in my opinion should be trying new things.. the sooner they start the sooner the industry will attract the hardcore gamers again.

I also think that the reason so few people play games (in comparison to those that have the chance to but don't bother) is because they see the same thing year-in year-out. Games like THPS3 and Agent Under Fire don't impress a lot of people. They think: "Oh, more shooting, killing, racing and wrestling! - No thanks!"

I don't know if you've noticed, but loads of adults, especially the over 30's like Meka (:)) tend to play more pick-up and play games - Solitaire, Minesweeper and hearts are some on the PC - and my dad will often play a quick game of Smash Brothers on the N64. Thinking games are also quite a big hit with the oldies. They like games that make you think, instead of those that rely on reflexes and current knowledge. This is why I think PIKMIN will do well, in general. People need to see that there is something different in the market - if that means Nintendo waiting a couple of months before Ying plays Nigel's copy of PIKMIN or Rez, then so be it... but people will begin to realise.

Maybe i've lost the plot - but the games that are out, good looking as they might be, just don't interest a lot of people... they're the same old thing, and I for one, am tired of it. Innovation and gameplay have always been the key to great games and superb franchises... but you can have too much of a good thing.. and when you do, it becomes a bad thing!

If only games companies would just take the plunge, the water might not be as cold as they think and it would definitely start to build the foundation for the Future of Gaming!

Thanks for reading... ^_^

Game
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Mon 21/01/02 at 14:12
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
I've reently been reading into Super Smash Brothers Melee quite a bit. All I can say is "WOW!"

To me, it's going to be the first launch game to have. I would like all the games... well, just the 1st and 2nd party games, but I doubt i'll be able to pick them all up.

My Gamecube fund stands at about £327 which will increase by about £20 a month! (Yes... I've been saving! :D)

I suppose first i'll buy the console, and an extra pad, Smash Brothers, PIKMIN, Luigi and Monkey Ball. Hopefully SR's prices will be quite cheap!

I've only got Maximo to get, and my PS2 collection is complete... well... if you count pre-orders... I was going to get Final Fantasy X, but I don't know if I'll bother... especially seeing as StarFox can't be that far away!

I still don't know whether to sell my PS2 when GameCube comes... I suppose I could lend it to one of my friends. Mind you... I'll want to play on State of Emergency for quite a bit. And I haven't recorded the whole Chatterbox Session on Mini-Disc yet... I'm going to do that!

Still.... I seem to have strayed from the subject!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.