GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Manufacturers' views on IMPORTING"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 18/01/02 at 10:32
Regular
We all know about the joys of importing- you get faster games sooner and with a larger choice. But what do manufacturers think of importing...

Well, it depends on the manufacturer. Take Sega for example...

Having the DC using Gigabyte discs to store games, it was assumed (with good reason) that games could never be copied onto GDs... you simply cannot buy GD writers!

So, Sega went easy on importers. Rather than employ the tactics of Sony by changing the console chip design every few months (thus making old models of chips redundant), Sega kept the same design for most of the console's life. With the Japanese DC sales not being great, Sega worked out that making it easy for people to buy imported Japanese games would be a good thing. They even went as far as drawing up plans to release a regionless DC for the Asian market that would allow gamers to chose the region from where they buy games depending on their language.

Now, Sony have the completely different view...

Using easy to copy CDs and DVDs as a storage for games, it is clear that every so often someone would crack the security codes on games. So, Sony change all their security codes (on the hardware) every few months. They even refine the design of the console so that chips wouldn't fit in the back on new models... until new chips are developed.

In addition to this, Sony want to control the market. They have no need to increase sales in Japan by allowing importing in the same way as Sega did, and so only want people to buy games in their own region. After all, they get far more profits from games sold in the UK! Also, it means they can control release dates of games (like MGS2) to coincide with major events in the gaming world (the release of the GC).

Sonic
Fri 18/01/02 at 10:32
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
We all know about the joys of importing- you get faster games sooner and with a larger choice. But what do manufacturers think of importing...

Well, it depends on the manufacturer. Take Sega for example...

Having the DC using Gigabyte discs to store games, it was assumed (with good reason) that games could never be copied onto GDs... you simply cannot buy GD writers!

So, Sega went easy on importers. Rather than employ the tactics of Sony by changing the console chip design every few months (thus making old models of chips redundant), Sega kept the same design for most of the console's life. With the Japanese DC sales not being great, Sega worked out that making it easy for people to buy imported Japanese games would be a good thing. They even went as far as drawing up plans to release a regionless DC for the Asian market that would allow gamers to chose the region from where they buy games depending on their language.

Now, Sony have the completely different view...

Using easy to copy CDs and DVDs as a storage for games, it is clear that every so often someone would crack the security codes on games. So, Sony change all their security codes (on the hardware) every few months. They even refine the design of the console so that chips wouldn't fit in the back on new models... until new chips are developed.

In addition to this, Sony want to control the market. They have no need to increase sales in Japan by allowing importing in the same way as Sega did, and so only want people to buy games in their own region. After all, they get far more profits from games sold in the UK! Also, it means they can control release dates of games (like MGS2) to coincide with major events in the gaming world (the release of the GC).

Sonic
Fri 18/01/02 at 12:10
"You love us!"
I think Nintendo have got their plans spot on to be honest. The machine is very easy to mod – simply a case of putting a switch between two jumpers inside the machine. This then effectively allows you to chose between a US and Jap Cube. Even to the point of have the on-screen menu’s in either English (for the US version) or jap (for the errr, Jap version) – hell if you put the thing into jap ‘mode’ it wont even play US games and visa versa!

I’m pretty sure that when the UK cube is released it’ll be able to have a similar mode which will allows you to select either US/Jap or Euro mode – a three way switch perhaps? This means that if you want to buy import games you can – cool for getting big releases like Mario Sunshine and Zelda which will obviously be released stateside before the Euro market.
However, Nintendo don’t need to worry about piracy! You can’t buy the small CD-like discs used in the Gcube unless you are a developer and even if the game is ripped and burnt onto a CD or DVD you still couldn’t use it in a GameCube as the discs are simply to big. They physically won’t fit inside the machine!
So the only way you’re going to be able to play a copied Gcube game is to get the Panasonic Cube (which can play DVD’s and is therefore bigger and could then obviously accommodate a copied CD/DVD! And because this is a Japan only machine, yes you can get them on import but they are both pricey and not available in huge numbers, it’s not a major headache.
Doing this means that a mod chip for a GameCube is simply not need, if you want to play import games all you need do is fit the switch, you don’t need to mod the machine like a PS2 and if you don’t need to mod the machine for imports, while else would you want to bother!? Unless you wanted to play pirate games – and any company who develop a mod such as this can’t hide behind the ‘ oh it supposed to be used for playing import games’ excuse.

A master stroke by the big N.

Import games if you want them, a machine that uses discs smaller than CD/DVD’s and there for they won’t fit, and best of all, if so mod company try anything dodgy Nintendo will have a clear case against them as the mod would so obviously there for illegal activities!

Nice one jimmy Nintendo!
Fri 18/01/02 at 14:26
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Well, I don't knoi enough about the switchable GC to comment on them, but you make a great point about the disc size...

The fatal flaw with the DC was to use a CD coded to make the console think that it was a GD... and then just play games copied onto CDs. With the GC this is simply not possible- you can't copy games onto small optical discs, nor can you make the console think any other media is an optical disc.

However, there is one problem... Panasonic (who make the discs) want them to become more widley used by a whole range of applicances. So, just as Sony made the PS1 when CD writers were absurdly expensive and the PS2 when DVD writers are absurdly expensive, Ninty may find that in a few years people can copy optical discs. Mind you, it'll still be so pricey to do that only the Japanese mass pirating population could afford it!

But what I wonder is this: "Assuming optical disc writers are NEVER released, then what will piraters do." After all, every other security system has been broken- surely they'll eventually find some way around a standard GC system (standard = not panasonic version)?

My bet is that something like the "V64 doctor" would have a to be used... perhaps a peripheral CD addd on that would fit into the console's expansion port and let you play copied CDs... but that's also unlikely to take off in this country simply because it'll have to be as expensive as the console!

Sonic
Fri 18/01/02 at 15:22
"You love us!"
Sonic,

Yeah the thing with the Doctor64 (and the other device, was it called the Super Magicom!) Is probably the only way it’ll happen, and as you say this’ll cos**t quite a bit. Also remember that the GC discs can hold as much (if not more, can’t remember!) than a DVD so really you’d need some kind of DVD writer add-on to copy the game directly from the GameCube disc. As a GameCube game simply isn’t going to fit on an 800MB CD. And the chances of a DVD-writer s**tyle Doctor 64 being affordable is VERY unlikely!

What this means is that ‘casual’ piracy, basically someone renting a game from Blockbus**ter, taking it home and copying it, isn’t going to be possible! The only way you could play copied GameCube games is to buy the Dcotor64 or whatever form it may take, then buy ripped games from another source – that or download them from the net, then burn it to a 800MB CD.

As you prolly know when a hacker copies a DVD PS2 game they have to ‘down sample or take things out if they want it to fit on a CD. For example the ripped version of GTA3 only had mono sound – this meant the when the game was downloaded form the Internet, the person doing so could then simply burn the game on a 800MB CD, thus enabling anyone with a CD writer to get a copy. So in theory you could download a ripped GC game, burning it to CD then play it through your ‘Doctor64’!

But you’d have to be a pretty ‘hardcore’ pirate to go through all that sh*t! And to be hones**t, people who’ll go to that kind of extent will never be s**topped, no matter what a games company does!

God damn them!

Providing, as you say, Panasonic don’t let the optical disc writers become the norm within the GameCube’s life cycle (which is what, 5 years tops!) I think Nintendo have pretty much got all their bases covered on the piracy front!

Good work Nintendo!
Fri 18/01/02 at 20:57
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Well, The_King, that was my point! The only way to copy games on the casual scale is simply infeasible.

However, in Japan you have 2 options:

1) The panasonic cube will be cracked to allow DVDs to pretend to be games.

2) The shear scale of piracy (60% of sales), means that buying an optical disc writer will be worth it for the pirates.

Oh, and you make one mistake... the GC discs hold LESS than a DVD!

Sonic
Fri 18/01/02 at 21:53
Regular
"699 days!"
V. interesting posts both of you! Thanks a lot! :-)
Fri 18/01/02 at 22:23
Regular
===SONICRAV---> wrote:
However, in Japan you have 2 options:

1) The
> panasonic cube will be cracked to allow DVDs to pretend to be games.

2) The
> shear scale of piracy (60% of sales), means that buying an optical disc writer
> will be worth it for the pirates.

Despite the Gamecube's poor starter sales in Japan, Panasonic's DVD version had a launch comparable to the PS2s with gamers queuing ages for one.

I think that many Jap Nintys were holding back for the DVD version of the Gamecube. Perhaps piracy is a major reason why?
Fri 18/01/02 at 22:41
"High polygon count"
Strafex wrote:
> I think that many Jap Nintys were holding back for the
> DVD version of the Gamecube. Perhaps piracy is a major
> reason why?

Or maybe Nintendo were way off with their prediction that "gamers only want games, not movies" etc.?

You have to admit, it's a possibility.
Fri 18/01/02 at 22:52
Regular
Maybe, but it was better to give someone the choice, rather than to FORCE them to pay an extra 100 quid for a DVD player, when they might already have one or not want one.
Fri 18/01/02 at 23:07
"High polygon count"
But you didn't pay extra for the ability to play DVD movies - the PSone was £299, and I'm fairly sure the PS2 would have been £299 anyway.

The thing is, PS2 uses DVD-ROM for massive storage, so it had the drive anyway. DVD playback software is not expensive (the remote AND driver upgrade only cost £20), so at best you'd have paid about £280 for PS2 anyway. Hence I don't believe the ability to play movies increased PS2's initial price at all.

On the other hand, the Gamecube doesn't include a DVD-video capable drive - therefore it is cheaper. The Panasonic unit is, I believe, more expensive - hence it is the cost of the DVD drive that costs the extra, and not *simply* the ability to play movies.

So, in short, you're paying extra for the drive itself, and not the DVD-Video ability. After all, releasing a machine with a DVD drive that couldn't play movies would be a little daft, don't you think?

Anyway, if I've explained that well enough, you should see that I think you're part right, and part wrong - just my opinion, though.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.