GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Erm....Ecommerce Help/Tips?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 17/01/02 at 20:01
Regular
I am trying to make an online shop site. It should include the regulars like a homepage etc. but also a stock page.

But unlike any other shopping site, this one sells personalised number plates. So I think that I might need a part where you type in your personalised number plate, words/numbers etc.

How would I make this work, and how should I go about making the site?

Are there any programs I could use?

Any Tips/Help/Advice would be a real help!
Thu 17/01/02 at 20:01
I am trying to make an online shop site. It should include the regulars like a homepage etc. but also a stock page.

But unlike any other shopping site, this one sells personalised number plates. So I think that I might need a part where you type in your personalised number plate, words/numbers etc.

How would I make this work, and how should I go about making the site?

Are there any programs I could use?

Any Tips/Help/Advice would be a real help!
Thu 17/01/02 at 20:06
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Oh no, absolutely not. There's no way we can "help" you with this.

You need at least a year's worth of GOOD experience with coding to do this, you can't just "learn". Furthermore, it would be worth about £1000 to a CHEAP webdeveloper.
Thu 17/01/02 at 20:33
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Turbonutter wrote:
> Stop talking crap!

@ Turbonutter, not the JAT.

How much HTML do you know?
Thu 17/01/02 at 20:55
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
HTML??? What the fudge has this got to do with HTML???
Thu 17/01/02 at 22:12
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
It would take a lot more than just HTML, you'd need to have a Web Script create to perform the tasks of checking these Number Plates, Ordering them, etc... and this would take some time to do. Depending on who you host your Web Site with, you'd probably need to have the script created in either CGI-Perl, PHP or ASP which would access to the Reg Numbers, and do whatever is needed with the data.

If you don't know enough about this, then you should consider talking to some pro's in the business, as I couldn't help you anywhere near as much as you need for an E-Commerce business, sorry.
Thu 17/01/02 at 22:18
Regular
The old numberplate one huh? Unless you're Craig (if so, how's the police going?), which it's about a million to one against, i personally won't be trying to help along possibly a future competitor : P

Actually, i'm not at a point where i could anyway mate : )
Thu 17/01/02 at 23:37
Oxide wrote:
> I am trying to make an online shop site.

Have you any experience at all with building a web site?

> Are there any programs I could use?

If you have no experience at all, you could try a product called Actinic (http://www.actinic.co.uk), it has templates and stuff for building e-commerce websites, but even then you will have to get to grips with technical stuff. And most Actinic sites look amatuerish, though they work well enough.

Like Turbonutter says, this kind of thing is probably worth quite a bit to even a cheap web developer, if anybody gives you a quote for less than, £1000 they either don't know what they are doing, or they are not making enough money to live off.

> Any Tips/Help/Advice would be a real help!

If you have the money, my advice is get a professional web development studio to help you out, if you don't, try a demo version of Actinic, but don't expect it to be easy.

1) Whatever you do, check out the range of options you have regarding online payments... do you have a business account? If so, what services (if any) does your bank offer to help you take online transactions? Do some research into this, read the small print as places will take about 5% of the transaction value for processing a payment for you.

2) Security - make sure the site is behind a firewall. If you don't know what a firewall is, find out.

Cover yourself against online credit card fraud...

Make sure that any forms users have to fill in on your site have error checking, that is, they MUST fill in things like name, address, tel. no, before proceding to buy.

There are probably more tips, but if you haven't done this before, I really advise you read up on it first. I'm not saying don't do it. Just try to cover every angle.

Good luck!
Fri 18/01/02 at 08:15
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
funkygamer wrote:
> Are there any programs I could use?

> If you have no experience at all, you could try a product called Actinic (http://www.actinic.co.uk), it has templates and stuff for building e-commerce websites, but even then you will have to get to grips with technical stuff. And most Actinic sites look amatuerish, though they work well enough.

He's rightn Actinic is an ecom out of the box soltuion to help enable comapnies inplement their own ecom site without the huge cost of development. I was recently as a presenatation by these guys, and though it does look slightly ameturish, they are seen as on of the UK's out of the box solution providers.

> if anybody gives you a quote for less than, £1000 they either don't know what they are doing...

Christ... Ecom forless than a K? I've just landed a 2K deal for a 10 page static site for a company here... Ecom comes in a lot higher, were talking 8K plus...

> Any Tips/Help/Advice would be a real
> help!

>If you have the money, my advice is get a professional web development studio to help you out, if you don't, try a demo version of Actinic, but don't expect it to be easy.

Don't use a simple Macromedia solution like UltraDev or a dodgy copu pf Drumbeat... I'd go with Actinic as though not immediately easy, their product comes with some serious support to help you implement their solution.

> 2) Security - make sure the site is behind a firewall. If you don't know what a firewall is, find out.

It would help if your were hosting this yourself and had your own firewall, it makes things much easier for liabilities etc. All ecom sites have to be secure (https:// often lives on a seperate server to the rest of the site), you also have to legally obide to the Data Protection Act of Oct 2001, this is a requirement for anyone now keeping personal info on a database or in any electronic format...

>Cover yourself against online credit card fraud...

If you've got your secure server and all the right measures in place BT/Verisign will accredit you for cover against these types of things.

>Make sure that any forms users have to fill in on your site have error checking, that is, they MUST fill in things like name, address, tel. no, before proceding to buy.

Also... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE look at other ecom sites and study Usability. I know I bang on about Usability alot around here, but with Ecom sites, it has been proven that if the site isn't logica, user friendly, and useable it will sink... Things like charging information, P&P, descriptions and clear step through of each stage of the process are essential to a good Ecom site... I can give you more information on this at a later date.

>There are probably more tips, but if you haven't done this
> before, I really advise you read up on it first. I'm not saying don't do it. Just try to cover every angle.

FG is right... This isn't the kind of thing you do as a first time site, there a lots of things to consider, a lot of them quite serious and if missed could land you in serious trouble.

Get hold of every book you can, study other sites, talk to other agencies who already have an existind Ecom set up and above all, get legal advice from sone one like a business advisor before you commit to anything. I too am not telling you shouldn't, but as FG said, read up on it first.

UNDERSTAND THE BASICS and importantly of all READ UP ON LEGISLATION and the LAW.... and don;t forget the DPA 2001!!
Fri 18/01/02 at 13:34
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
> if
> anybody gives you a quote for less than, £1000 they
> either don't know what
> they are doing...

> Christ... Ecom forless than a K? I've just landed a 2K
> deal for a 10 page static site for a company here... Ecom
> comes in a lot higher,
> were talking 8K plus...

Sorry but I have to comment on these remarks...
I think they are misleading...
Companies have always charged what they can get away with. I work for a relatively small company therefore we're close to the edge in terms of prices. We have and still do decent basic ecommerce sites for less than a K. Having said that there is a world of difference between a basic ecommerce site and a solution like Amazon has for example.
There are several "rival" companies near us who charge 3x what we do, however their work is of no better quality (I might even argue inferior). So I don't believe you can make generalisations like cheap = rubbish. Web design is just like any other purchase, before you place orders with people, you do a little background research (most have portfolios for you to view), and really see what you're going to get for any figure they quote you. There are many tell-tale signs to look out for but well, not intending to write an essay on the subject. :)

-G
Fri 18/01/02 at 14:06
Garin wrote:
> Sorry but I have to comment on these remarks...
> I think they are misleading...

Bring it on... It's Friday, I need a good discussion...

> We have and still do decent basic ecommerce sites for
> less than a K.

Yes, I dont doubt it. But then, how much do you earn? (That was a rhetorical question, but I'm sure you get my drift). Also, is the site updateable by the customer rather than relying upon you for changes, what security does the site have and what happens to the site if the server goes down?

> There are several "rival" companies near us who charge 3x
> what we do, however their work is of no better quality (I > might even argue inferior).

Can you give me examples of what you can do for 1000 UKP?

> So I don't believe you can make generalisations like
> cheap = rubbish.

OK. But if you are as good as you think you are, you are the exception, rather than the rule. Generally, you get what you pay for with web design.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.